Pod X3 DI? How about an experiment..

kramer1309

Apr 30, 2008
India
Hey
My setup to record right now is:
Guitar -> PODX3 MIC In -> Computer USB
I have noticed that the DI's i record from my podx3live are pretty dull sounding and generally muddy. Reading around here leads me to believe that the DI on it is not too good since there seem to be others with similar observation. I recently saw some DI's rec'd by some of you and noticed that you're DI's were(looked) alot spikier in general while the DI's from the POD looked alot rounder and less dynamic.

Now, the problem... i'm not looking to buy a new interface :( ..
A possible solution - To use the XLR mic input on the X3 and try to do this:
Guitar -> DI (active/passive?) -> PODX3 MIC In -> Computer USB
(assuming the converters on the x3 are any decent - X3 Converters: 3pcs of the CS4272 - 24-Bit, 192 kHz, 114 dB Stereo CODEC if any one's heard of em) ..
Would that do any better?

Aaand, the problem with the solution.. i don't own a DI nor does anyone around ..
So, a humble request to anyone who owns a PODX3 and a DI to try the proposed setup:
Guitar -> DI (active/passive?) -> PODX3 MIC In -> Computer USB
and lets see if i can not have to shell out for an entire interface but just a DI yet.

Thank You

The X3 doesn't provide phantom power, so it'll need to be a passive DI. A passive DI usually means very low input impedance compared to actives, which leads to high-end roll-off. I think Leon Audio make a passive that's at about 300k, but that's still a little crappy for passive pickups, but will probably be OK for actives. The mic pres in the X3 aren't very good, though, so that'll be working against you.

In short, you can do it, but it probably won't give better results than you're already getting.