DI recording

Behind

Sep 3, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have been recording for a while and I always end up with the same problem: mudiness in guitars...

I record with a toneport ux1 and I suspect that the signal that the DAW receives is the source of this problem, that means the DI signal isn't good enough (if i'm right with this term).

Well, I just wanted to share with you a clip with the signal that my DAW receives from the DI. I'd like to know if it sounds normal or it lacks some brightness or something.

If you can put some DI clip examples it would be great in order to compare mine with yours

If you want a comparison of DI sounds (I don't think thats a great idea but try anyway), have a look in the 'free reamping' threads that float around from time to time. Should be able to download some DI's there, with their sounds through an amp as an added bonus.

If you want people to see what they can do with your DI, then upload a short .wav of it somewhere.

I've been checking those threads and they are old ones with death links...

I tend to think that if there is a good signal, a clean enough and bright one, the reamp will have a better sound. At least logic makes me think that but im no sound engineer and there are many things I still don't know :lol:

do you mean

guitar>DI>eq>amp ??

I've never had that idea but it sounds reasonable

do you mean

guitar>DI>eq>amp ??

I've never had that idea but it sounds reasonable

basically...

I EQ ITB though. really nothing is off limits here. of course nothing will beat a DI that sounds good on it's own with any particular amp, but I'm not of the opinion that any signal is off limits for minor to drastic manipulation. I'm not a purist.

This is interesting.

I have had the oportunity to hear other DI guitar clips and mine is definitely muddy. I mean, mine sounds like the guitar has old strings.

Even with similar pups (81 bridge) it still happens. I'm recording at 16 bits... so it seems that I'm doing everything correctly but it still sounds strange.

I've changed the thing to 24 and the difference is :OMG: Now the tone that I was developing is fizzy :rofl: I is time to find a compromise between both problems i've had... I love to record! :lol:

Thank you all for the replies, it has been great to learn and sorry for the nooby questions!

basically...

I EQ ITB though. really nothing is off limits here. of course nothing will beat a DI that sounds good on it's own with any particular amp, but I'm not of the opinion that any signal is off limits for minor to drastic manipulation. I'm not a purist.

Yeah I do that too, I also sometimes use a transient designer type plugin on them too. If someone else has recorded the DI's with a poor DI or Pre...I use the plugin to get some more attack out of the guitar. For some reason I get guitars that sounds soooo dull in the attack area, I find I'm needing to treat them ITB before reamping.