Recording DI tracks for reamping

Philiac

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2009
Hi. I have a LTD EC401 with an EMG85 bridge pickup. I'm supposed to record DI tracks for reamping this weekend, and I've stumbled upon a problem. The guitar signal is too hot for my Focusrite 2i2, even through a DI box. The signal clips and is distorted no matter what settings I use on the audio interface and DI box. The only way I found that might work, is if I use one of the high gain profiles on my Kemper, and turn the gain all the way down or just simply turn off the stack entirely. It doesn't seem to clip. Question is; is this signal good enough for reamping? It sounds pretty "sterile" and direct to me, but I guess it has been processed somewhat through the Kemper, and it might then be totaly useless to the professional who is supposed to reamp this?

If this isn't good enough, I guess the only option is to use a guitar with passive microphones. Like a Gibson, Strat or something with Seymour Duncans. The musical style is melodic extreme/black metal.

Any solutions, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

How are you doing Philiac? I'm recording guitar DI's for reamping too. I'm doing it at home and using Bias FX for amp simulation. Originally, I was going to record guitars in a studio, but my amp broke down a day before recording (bad luck huh?), so I talked about it with our producer and he encouraged us to record guitars at home with a VST, sending him later the rendered tracks and also, and most importantly, the DIs for reamping.

I'm recording through a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2 Gen). XLR-3 cable to Whirlwind IMP2 DI Box and jack from the box to my guitar. I'm using an LTD TE-406 (EMG's 81/60) and the signal is just fine. I've got the gain set at around 4 and, with the VST on, it does not go beyond -4dB in my DAW (Ableton Live 9). Monitor is at half and it sounds pretty loud, but does not clip.

How loud is the DI track when you turn the amp down? If I'm correct, DI tracks are supossed to be as clean and clear as possible, so if it is not as loud as you would like them to be, it should still be fine!

I recorded a guy one time who had some crazy dimarzio pickups that were clipping my input on my i/o. It sounded pretty gross when listening raw, but was practically in audible when I reamped. Are you sure the pickup is clipping the input, or is the gain set too high on the box? Also, some emgs seem to clip their internal preamp a little bit, maybe that is what you are hearing?

A reamp will always be coloured to some extent, and some of my better reamp tracks I have taken are pretty musically coloured between my DI and tube mic preamp. Don't add an overdrive, or effects (delay, phaser, etc) to them, but don't worry about it being not 100% clean