DI Signal sucks! Help?!

Lol i can't doubletrack for shit. Playing not in time enough.

So hmm.... i compared the DI tracks from the guitar tone competition to a di recording from me.

The DI track from the competition is much louder and has more frequency range aswell.

Regards sandra

grimbolt is guitar intonated (or even tuned)?
Maybe I`m wrong, but it seems like guitar is not tuned well.
What guitar do you use?

The quality of those DIs sounds alright to me. However, as others have mentioned, there are huge problems in the tuning/intonation department.

Lol i can't doubletrack for shit. Playing not in time enough.

So hmm.... i compared the DI tracks from the guitar tone competition to a di recording from me.

The DI track from the competition is much louder and has more frequency range aswell.

Regards sandra

That may be the biggest thing holding your DI's back from reaching their full potential, your playing ability.
Yes, as I said, it's true the POD doesn't have the greatest DI tracking capabilities to walk this earth, but they are quite good at least.
I can tell you now, DIs that have been tracked with a super tight performance with guitar strings in good condition through a POD will kick the shit out of DI tracks done through a bad performance, old strings, bad pickups and the best DI box you can buy.
Some say tone comes from the fingers.
I tend to say, tone comes from the gear, but your level of technique will determine just how much potential you can get out of the gear you use
You have to understand, the DI tracks in the guitar tone competition are super tight performances and also, tracked through great, high quality pickups.

I'd say just bust out that metronome, and practice for a while. Once your timing gets really good, and your technique becomes better, record your DI tracks and you'll be so amazed how much better it sounds, seriously.
Even just 2 weeks of intense, focused practice on just keeping in time with a slow, simple chugging riff, make sure it's just in basically perfect timing will be great.
Just post that kinda thing up when you're ready, and there are plenty of friendly folk around here willing to judge your DI tracks and give you assistance:)

Quality pickup on average guitar will sound better than average pickup, but average.
And performance is also play great role, not only perfect timing, but also the way you hitting the strings.
From quality DI-tracks here I`m learned how I can adapt my playing style to get closer to such performance.

That may be the biggest thing holding your DI's back from reaching their full potential, your playing ability.
Yes, as I said, it's true the POD doesn't have the greatest DI tracking capabilities to walk this earth, but they are quite good at least.
I can tell you now, DIs that have been tracked with a super tight performance with guitar strings in good condition through a POD will kick the shit out of DI tracks done through a bad performance, old strings, bad pickups and the best DI box you can buy.
Some say tone comes from the fingers.
I tend to say, tone comes from the gear, but your level of technique will determine just how much potential you can get out of the gear you use
You have to understand, the DI tracks in the guitar tone competition are super tight performances and also, tracked through great, high quality pickups.

I'd say just bust out that metronome, and practice for a while. Once your timing gets really good, and your technique becomes better, record your DI tracks and you'll be so amazed how much better it sounds, seriously.
Even just 2 weeks of intense, focused practice on just keeping in time with a slow, simple chugging riff, make sure it's just in basically perfect timing will be great.
Just post that kinda thing up when you're ready, and there are plenty of friendly folk around here willing to judge your DI tracks and give you assistance:)

Thanks for your awnser. :)

I know that my playing ability (or unability) is a huge part why my DIs sound not so good.
For doubletracking. I understand it is important for a mix but what if i play "live"? I mean most of the time i just play over a gpro/backingtrack.

Anyways i'll try to record a DI track tonight.

Any info on what pickups were used at that tone competition would be cool. Active ones?

Regards sandra

Holy shit, the DI track is good but someone needs to tune his guitar and hit the stings properly :lol:

Don't think it's the intonation, it's hitting the strings incorrectly and making them go out of tune, this is easy to do on low tuned guitars. And the tuning of course. Anyway here what I got out of it:

http://www.box.net/shared/asja2jm7ya

As I noticed Line6 DI (POD, GuitarPort, TonePort) sounds a bit "dry" comparing to other interfaces.
But I have too little samples for proper statistic :)

My guitar is intonated very well...

How should I hit the strings to make them sound properly? :cry:

Hard and distinct, but not too hard to make them go out of tune like I think you are doing. If you hit the string and it kind of follows the pick down a bit it will sound out of tune, try to hit it so that the pick lets go of the string earlier if you know what I mean. You are digging too deep with the pick. And first of all make sure the guitar is tuned.

It's ok, just practice for a week or two with a metronome and you will be rocking like a champ :headbang:

You could also be fretting too hard, and thus pulling the strings out of tune. I've had that pop up once or twice, especially if the strings were toward the rubber-band end of the spectrum.

my opinion is its the guitars natural bad sound - i have a bc rich that sounds like that too - its just a bloody awful guitar, the guitars nut (cheap plastic), bridge, body and the fact that my bc's neck is cracked have all contributed to the fact that it sounds horrific

im coming to that conclusion because your di is sounding a lot like my bc rich's di - thank fuck i own a gibson and a jackson and a cort too! :p pick up another guitar and try again

Hey..

I tried to hit the strings how you told me.. but they still sound "inconsistent" when I play them unmuted..

I checked the intonation and the tuning.. nothing wrong there!