Diabolical Masquerade??

DEATH'S DESIGN

Q: The album says it is an "original motion picture soundtrack", is it REALLY?

A: Yes, it is.

Q: Why are there are as many as 61 tracks and sections called "movements" on the album?

A: The soundtrack is split up in movements in synchronisity with the process of the film. Then under each movement there‘s a part for each major event and that‘s the track index.

Q: Is Death's Design the follow-up to Nightwork?

A: Originally no. Death's Design is a soundtrack. But since Avantgarde Music is issuing the album it will in many aspects be regarded as the follow-up to Nightwork.

Q: Is it sounding similiar to Nightwork?

A: Yes, in fact it does and that's the MAIN reason why Avantgarde Music decided to release the soundtrack on their label.

Q: Do I have to be a devoted soundtrack maniac to enjoy Death's Design?

A: Well, that's an advantage, but as long as you liked Nightwork this will go right down your throat.
Q: What is the movie Death's Design about?

A: Suppose that death is nature's grand machine to wipe out anything that is considered "done" on earth. Imagine that death is following a certain pattern when it take lives off from this world. A sort of programmed scheme on exactly whom and when someone is to die. THAT is the design of death. The storyline is one person and his fate in symbiosis with death's design. This person was next in line to die, but drastically, in a state of hallugenic drug experience, changed the moves he was normally about to make and as the result ended up cheating on death. This created a conflict in the design which made him "pass" the natural outcome. This person, not supposed to be alive, finds his mind has departed with his body and been thrown in a void, which is in fact a "thrashcan" to the "hardrive" of the universe. To avoid remaining a dwelling ghost for eternity, he must find a way to "paste" his mind back into his "human catalouge". It's just that the path back leads through universal corridors with horrors unimagined... That's the storyline.

Q: What company is behind it? Who wrote the script & directed it?

A: The ones behind it are called West & Hill corp, a semi-pro company from Hollywood, US. The film was co-produced by John Grant and Wesley Howard who also wrote the script. Barry Stevens directed it.

Q: What made the movie go down the drain?

A: Mainly, because another film was up on the screen recently featuring a major part of the same concept and the production company got cold feet and the screenplay was scrapped instantly with the result of leaving the manuscript to be re-written. Since the budget was limited, the whole film project then came to an halt.

Q: What's going to happen with the script?

A: Wesley Howard is in the process of re-writing it, but rumours say he's looking for another company to go with.

Q: Will the re-written script go into shooting?

A: Yes, but we don't know when because copyrights regarding names, titles and script parts have ended in disputes and are awaiting legal settlements.

Q: Will the new version of the film be called Death's Design?

A: Not likely. West & Hill corp owns the copyright to the title. Since the story line will be adjusted the main title will surely as well.

Q: Will the new version have the Diabolical Masquerade soundtrack?

A: No, since this soundtrack is linked 100% to Death's Design only. It can't fit with another movie.

Q: How was Diabolical Masquerade chosen to do a soundtrack to a horror movie?

A: One of the producers got in touch basically because they had heard of Diabolical Masquerade doing some kind of horror oriented heavy metal and that‘s exactly what they were seeking; a horror score with a strong heavy metal foundation.

Q: Was the soundtrack accepted or refused for the movie?

A: There was an objection. First co-producer of the movie John Grant, got hesitant to let the team continue the screenplay when he heard the delivered soundtrack. Grant is reported to have said "the horror is there, it's perfect, but it's way too much heavy metal to fit the movie. What do you think Hollywood would say about this? We would be branded as cheesy low-budget clowns". However, co-producer/director Wesley Howard still assured they wanted Diabolical Masquerade to be supplying the soundtrack. When questioned Howard explained - "A horror movie with a heavy metal soundtrack can't go wrong in 2000 - this is proven to be what the people want".

Q: Was an orchestra used in this recording? Who was it?

A: Yes, a small town orchestra called The Estonian quartet. Although they were more than 4 people they still remained an official quartet.

Q: What other people were involved in this recording?

A: Ingmar Döhn, a session musician from the past Diabolical Masquerade albums actually conducted The Estonian orchestra and played the bass. There was also some invited guests playing guitar leads.

Q: What was Dan Swanö's involvement in this recording?

A: He has the co-writer, co-arranger, recording, mixing and producer credits.

Q: Is there any chance that the movie with it's original script will be released with the Diabolical Masquerade soundtrack, EVER?

A: If they finish the screenplay and decide to release it, it WILL feature the soundtrack. Maybe within time, when the block buster film that had the same story is in the backcatalouge archive.

A: What is the name of that block buster film?

Q: **** ***********

Q: Is there any chance that the movie will be released WITHOUT the Diabolical Masquerade soundtrack?

A: No. However, the movie that will appear from the re-written script will probably be having one the established composers delivering the soundtrack.

Q: What comparisons will the 2 different scripts have in common?

A: Only Wesley Howard knows at this point.

Q: How come the Death's Design soundtrack is being released even though the movie is on hold?

A: Because there's a commercial value in the recording. Avantgarde Music was approved after a lot of negotiations to release the audio soundtrack as an independent release, but due to the uncommercial format with 61 tracks and movement sections it's eternally linked to the movie as "the soundtrack to the lost movie".

Q: Are the photos inside the layout of the Death's Design soundtrack from the actual movie?

A: Yes, the production company agreed licensing some of the original artwork & photography from the motion picture. Blakkheim wanted to preserve everything as close to as what it should have been.

Q: Will Diabolical Masquerade ever create soundtracks for other horror films?

A: Well, the door is open.

Death's Design | 2001
Music score composed and produced by Blakkheim and
Dan Swanö
Music edited, assembled and mixed by Dan Swanö at
The Sanctuary except drums edited by Ryan Taylor and Sean C.
Keyboards, ambiences and lead guitar solo on "Keeping the Faith" plus keyboard solo on "A Hurricane of Rotton Air" by
Dan Swanö

The soundtrack thing was mentioned in all the ads I saw for the album, and I read about it in a few interviews.

Of course, just because something is said often doesn't make it true. But perhaps you should give some sort of reason when you say you don't believe it. In other words, back up your statements, man!

Originally posted by llamaura
The soundtrack thing was mentioned in all the ads I saw for the album, and I read about it in a few interviews.

Of course, just because something is said often doesn't make it true. But perhaps you should give some sort of reason when you say you don't believe it. In other words, back up your statements, man!

Remember it's the same people that's been saying it.

As soon as the concept of 'movie soundtrack' is made, once the label is sold on the idea, getting the packaging and advertising support the concept is easy.

Two people actually wrote the music I believe, and it's just Blakkheim giving interviews, so all he has to do is keep his story straight.

And it worked. I'd guess sales of this album are far beyond any of the other three Diabolical Masquerade albums, and the promotion's certainly been greater...

Just for that reason, I was suspicious, and checking out this movie production company, etc (basically looking for all those people in the credits of the album), I can't find anything about them or the movie that are independent of the album.

... so I'm more suspicious, so I ask people who I'd figure would know. I mean, especially the artwork, that's supposedly still shots from the uncompleted movie, right?

But everyone I ask to verify ANY of this story tells me "Ask Anders."

All of this adds up to, for me, that Death's Design is an awesome album and a never-existed movie.

It really was the soundtrack to a movie of the same name. The movie stopped production due to financial issues, but the soundtrack lived on.

Now I ask you the same thing. Back up your statements.

Have you found any evidence that the movie actually existed, other than from Anders or from the record company?

(I've heard the running out of money story too, but I think it might have been in an interview with Dan.)

If Blakkheim and Dan are lying, then so be it.. But I trust them. I don't really care either way, but I believe the movie "story." At any rate, it's one of my top albums of 2001, but I think Fantomas' "The Director's Cut" beats it.

Originally posted by wardwarf
If Blakkheim and Dan are lying, then so be it.. But I trust them. I don't really care either way, but I believe the movie "story." At any rate, it's one of my top albums of 2001, but I think Fantomas' "The Director's Cut" beats it.

You think WHAT beats it??? Explain please. <grin>

Originally posted by Hearse
Diabolical Masquerade's Death Design is a total masterpiece!

it has blown of my mind, really, I love that album. I didn't like too much for Nightworks, its good but didn't blown of my mind. Maybe its cause the echo, that makes that sounds empy. Death's Design is much fuller with sounds and more fine tuned than Nightworks. And the musicianship of Death's Design is amazing! I actually doub that there ever was this movie thing. but it's not important, even if it where marketing trick, still it would be great trick :D

Never, ever hesitate of buying it! :D

Yes, I agree with you that Nightwork wasn't very good--I sold my copy like 2 days after I owned it! But what I've heard from Death's Design sounds much better and it is on it's way to me in the mail as I write this. Should be a great one!

And let's not forget Jim LofTP that aside from the financial and promotional issues, musically, if Mr. Nystrom claims it is a soundtrack, that gives him complete artistic freedom to do whatever the hell he likes without fan or label expectations. It's a great excuse to go wild with the music.

I'm sceptical of the "soundtrack" thing, but either way Death's Design was an incredible highlight of 2001 for me and that alone justifies the mystique that surrounds the album.

Lets us not forget, also, that the mystique and uncertainty created leads to these kind of discussions and that means greater exposure for the album and more hype surrounding it. It could be we are just playing into Mr. Nystrom's hands, no?

WHo knows? Personally I just think it's one hell of a release.