Diamond Dave

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Picked up the new DAVID LEE ROTH disc, "Diamond Dave". Now, granted this is not METAL in any way, shape, or form, but it does qualify, at least to me, as OLD SCHOOL. I love this album from start to finish. Listening to it, it's easy to see where the REAL VAN HALEN got its fun spirit and almost vaudeville like charm. When Dave left, so did the fun. (And I am a HUGE EVH fan...don't get me wrong...love Sammy and even...GASP...the Gary album...but there's just no BULL without Michael Jordan and dammit there's no VH without Dave)
A couple of the songs sound like they could have been on Crazy from the Heat, a la JUST A GIGOLO...A couple songs are just plain wierd, but all in all it's a great disc to drive your car to. And that's probably just what ol' Dave had in mind. Among other things. Give this a listen...don't compare it to metal or old VH but to Sinatra or Sammy Davis Jr. hehe
Livin Large,
Ted

tedvanfrehley said:
Picked up the new DAVID LEE ROTH disc, "Diamond Dave". Now, granted this is not METAL in any way, shape, or form, but it does qualify, at least to me, as OLD SCHOOL. I love this album from start to finish. Listening to it, it's easy to see where the REAL VAN HALEN got its fun spirit and almost vaudeville like charm. When Dave left, so did the fun. (And I am a HUGE EVH fan...don't get me wrong...love Sammy and even...GASP...the Gary album...but there's just no BULL without Michael Jordan and dammit there's no VH without Dave)
A couple of the songs sound like they could have been on Crazy from the Heat, a la JUST A GIGOLO...A couple songs are just plain wierd, but all in all it's a great disc to drive your car to. And that's probably just what ol' Dave had in mind. Among other things. Give this a listen...don't compare it to metal or old VH but to Sinatra or Sammy Davis Jr. hehe
Livin Large,
Ted

I know what a huge DLR fan you are TVF.
I think you are right on as to what this disc is.
It's not rock n roll. It's more of a lounge act.
To me it was a huge disappointment.
I was expecting something more in the vein of the
last disc DLR band. Where there wasn't anything "epic"
but there was at least some "rockin' going on."
To pop this into your cd player & hear the
mediocre slop that was spewing from the speakers is a travisty.
Then again, hasn't Roth's career been just that since "excusing himself" from Van Halen?
I will say that there are at least to songs on there worth listening.
You Got the Blues Not Me & the other cover...
Door's "Soul Kitchen," and the track "Thug Pop" is "good."