Di'Anno era Maiden has aged better than Dickinson era

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
For starters, I do not wish to be misunderstood - the Bruce output is classic, and I love it!

However, as the years pass, Maiden's first two records, in my view, continue to gain 'momentum'. Meaning, I think they're aging better than the classic Bruce material. With each listen, I gain more respect for the records.

In the mid 80s, I liked them, but for various reasons never gave them the respect they deserve.

Now, I wonder what Maiden would have been like had Di'Annoo never left/been kicked out/whatever.

I personally think Dickinson did the Dianno era songs better live.. Di'anno is ok but he is overrated (this is opinion not Law lol ) .... plus i dont have respect for him if he does Dickinson era covers in his solo career to cash in... for those in Europe..... i did read today in Metal Maniacs magazine that Di'anno will be touring with Girlschool and Tygers of Pan Tang starting in October...

Dianno has never covered as far as I know Dickinson era stuff. What is sad from him is that he continues playing Miaden stuff live and more than his own solo stuff. Too much living in the past for an artist.

And just for the record "Killers" is my second favorite Maiden album of all time (not to mention that both Dianno albums are better than all Maiden albums since 1990).

SoundMaster said:
For starters, I do not wish to be misunderstood - the Bruce output is classic, and I love it!

However, as the years pass, Maiden's first two records, in my view, continue to gain 'momentum'. Meaning, I think they're aging better than the classic Bruce material. With each listen, I gain more respect for the records.

In the mid 80s, I liked them, but for various reasons never gave them the respect they deserve.

I totally agree. I've always found Killers to be their best release.

Wyvern said:
Dianno has never covered as far as I know Dickinson era stuff. What is sad from him is that he continues playing Miaden stuff live and more than his own solo stuff. Too much living in the past for an artist.

And just for the record "Killers" is my second favorite Maiden album of all time (not to mention that both Dianno albums are better than all Maiden albums since 1990).

I forget who told me that Di'anno actually sings Dickinson era maiden songs live lately... if he does that is sad... I could see him doing his own stuff with maiden live but not dickinson's stuff... <shrugs> :erk:

I beg to differ. To each his/her own. I think there are many similarities between Paul & Bruce as there are with David Lee & Sammy Hagar. Both of the band's have a singer living in the past & given a chance will always, "remind" you of that. Always questioning the intelligence of the fans. Of course the fans know what they were a part of! Jesus. Anyway, I feel both of the earlier material isn't as strong as what they came to record with their second singers. It was great at the time, but didn't age well.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I forget who told me that Di'anno actually sings Dickinson era maiden songs live lately... if he does that is sad... I could see him doing his own stuff with maiden live but not dickinson's stuff... <shrugs> :erk:
If that's the case, I will give $100.00 to the first person that sees him & dedicates a swift kick in the balls to him on my behalf!:tickled:

Hmm, actually I have never thought about this until you brought it up. I don't think that I have ever given a damn about who was the singer on a particular Maiden disc. I just ranked them in my personal Top 10 list and on that one Killers has always had a strong third slot right behind Live After Death and The Number Of The Beast.

Both singers released amazing stuff with Maiden that will never get old! :worship:

But my favourite Maiden album is with Bruce, "Powerslave." And Bruce is right up the top of my all time favourite singers list. So if I had to pick, I'd say that the Bruce stuff has aged better.

JonnyD said:
IMHO Bruce era is overrated I havnt heard killers

Well then, what are you waiting for?! :)
And Bruce era (consider this era when he was in the band for the first time) is far far from overrated, not to mention classics like Piece, Powerslave :worship:, Somewhere or Seventh Son.

But my Very first maiden album was the first one tho my Favorite Maiden songs are sung by the Great Blaze Bayley

I see we have a major difference in taste here... :)
I consider Blaze to be a big mistake for Maiden. He isn't the caliber to sing in Maiden nor did his era produce anything worthwhile, aside from a few really great songs (Sign of the Cross, anyone?).

As far as Di'Anno goes, I feel he was perfect for the time, but that he would stall the band if he wasn't replaced. I never liked the way Bruce sang the songs from the first two albums, they were perfect suited to Di'Anno...

SickBoy said:
Well then, what are you waiting for?! :)
And Bruce era (consider this era when he was in the band for the first time) is far far from overrated, not to mention classics like Piece, Powerslave :worship:, Somewhere or Seventh Son.

I see we have a major difference in taste here... :)
I consider Blaze to be a big mistake for Maiden. He isn't the caliber to sing in Maiden nor did his era produce anything worthwhile, aside from a few really great songs (Sign of the Cross, anyone?).
Remember My alegence to Blaze runs strong ... I didnt "Get In to" maiden till he was the singer .... He certainly was the caliber to sing for maiden it was Fickle fans that ruined that era ..... now one thing to consider which nobody seems to ever do ... when Rob left priest they went and found a clone ... Maiden didnt... Blaze is a better singer than Bruce ... there is none of the harsh peaks .... with that said this is just my opinion But to say he isnt the caliber is just unfair and full of shit IMO ... and another thing that is solely My Opinion is that Xfactor is a great record ... the music is well played and the lyrics very deep and His vocals are filled with emotion and feeling ... I will fight for this opinion till the end of time so dont even bother to argue it with me :D

Edit: Sorry Sick Boy I hadnt had my Med yet .... :wave:

Igor_Cavalera said:
Both singers released amazing stuff with Maiden that will never get old! :worship:

But my favourite Maiden album is with Bruce, "Powerslave." And Bruce is right up the top of my all time favourite singers list. So if I had to pick, I'd say that the Bruce stuff has aged better.

I agree with you Igor, and Powerslave is my favorite Maiden album also. I think both Paul and Bruce were perfect for what the band was doing at the times they were in the band. Would not want to hear Bruce on those first albums nor hear Paul on the later 80's stuff.

As for JD's favorite singer.... well, let's just say he didn't do anything for me (but I did like Wolfsbane - Live Fast Die Fast album). Seeing as how the Blaze era Maiden was the first time you heard them JD, it stands to reason that you would like that the best.

JonnyD said:
IMHO Bruce era is overrated I havnt heard killers But my Very first maiden album was the first one tho my Favorite Maiden songs are sung by the Great Blaze Bayley
JD I told you several times, drink Sterno, not Drano! Is giving you hallucinations :lol: :p

JonnyD said:
Remember My alegence to Blaze runs strong ... I didnt "Get In to" maiden till he was the singer .... He certainly was the caliber to sing for maiden it was Fickle fans that ruined that era ..... now one thing to consider which nobody seems to ever do ... when Rob left priest they went and found a clone ... Maiden didnt... Blaze is a better singer than Bruce ... there is none of the harsh peaks .... with that said this is just my opinion But to say he isnt the caliber is just unfair and full of shit IMO ... and another thing that is solely My Opinion is that Xfactor is a great record ... the music is well played and the lyrics very deep and His vocals are filled with emotion and feeling ... I will fight for this opinion till the end of time so dont even bother to argue it with me :D

Edit: Sorry Sick Boy I hadnt had my Med yet .... :wave:

Remember its your opinion not Law lol .... :tickled:

sixxswine said:
If that's the case, I will give $100.00 to the first person that sees him & dedicates a swift kick in the balls to him on my behalf!:tickled:

If someone does that to him he might start singing almost like Dickinson or Blaze or maybe even Halford if his balls get obliterated lol ... :tickled:

Bruce=Metal GOD...but that's just me :loco:

Seriously though, I have no love or respect for Paul...he is always talking shit about Maiden and at the same time doing their songs...go figure! :err: As to the albums that he did w/the mighty Maiden, yes they are classics but I wouldn't mind them being re-done with Bruce's vox :loco:

As to the Blaze period, there are still people who to this day REFUSE to listen to these 2 albums, I must say they are missing out on a lot here because the X Factor is quite good and Virtual Xi holds a couple of really nice tracks.

I love both Bruce and Paul... I just love Brue better. :D I love Paul's vocals on the first two albums and I don't think anyone could sing those songs better than him, not even Bruce. He did his part in the band and he did a great job. :headbang: However... IBruce is my favourite Maiden vocalist... he's my favourite vocalist in general... and he made the Blaze songs sound better, too.

I don't think anything I just said made sense... cuz I don't know what I just typed... so if it's nonsense, just ignore it.