Did Akerfeldt rip off Dan's growling style back in the day?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
On the Opeth forum, regarding the best growler out there, someone said Mike actually was inspired by Dan's growls back in the day. Got me thinking. Quite possible actually.

Any ideas?

batmura said:
On the Opeth forum, regarding the best growler out there, someone said Mike actually was inspired by Dan's growls back in the day. Got me thinking. Quite possible actually.

Any ideas?

Dan doesn't have the copyright on Death Metal growling, so I'd say no. :)

Guys were growling before Dan, I'd be hard pressed to find the first real "growler".

Of course there were others growling before Dan and Mike. :)

But Dan's growling is unique, as is Mike's. They both growl in a discernible style. They're not screamed or extremely low, if you know what I mean.

Cerebus said:
If I remember correctly, Dan has said he tought Mike the right tecnique of growling

I thought Dan said his growling technique sucked, and that because of his lack of technique he doesn't want to do anymore deathmetal stuff (it trashes his vocals). I mean, obviously it sounds great, but I think in an interview he referred to how guys like Tatgren knew how to do the death but not kill their vocal chords in the process.

I also don't think Dan's vocals were always similar to Mike's. They sound similar in, for example, Purgatory Afterglow and Deliverance, but I think in Opeth's earlier stuff it sounds quite different (like Orchid). But I think it's an issue of not many death metal vocalists sounding "good" at all. Dan and Mike stand out because it's the nature of death metal singers to either be amazing or completely suck.

I really don't think they sound alike. The only similarity between the two of them in my opinion is that they are the only two death metal growlers I like. I generally despise death metal style vocals.

I consider both Dan and Mike to have been in their prime at 1996, when Crimson was released, and they're both on it..

And their styles aren't that similar. Mike's growl was a lot higher at that time, and his new, lower growl isn't nearly as harsh as Dan's.

Influence though, probably. You can be influenced by someone even if you don't sound the same.

in 96 morningrise(or as i call it, the masterpiece) also came out
as far as i remember morningrise was produced by Dan.

about the better growler or who influenced who, i don't think it really matters
both mike and dan are great growlers.they have their similarities and their differences otherwise they would have the same vocals now would they.

venom's Welocme to hell album is the earliest thing close to growling that I know
1981.that's 24 fucking years ago.

Hi guys...sorry for the absence. I have been mixing three (3) albums at the same time for a few weeks now, and haven´t been to work (Where I have more "sparetime"!!!!)
I think it´s cool to be compared to Mike and has growls, since I believe that he is up there with the best. My personal faves are early style Chuck and John Tardy (I shook his had at Wacken and thanked him for the inspiration!!) I don´t think Mike listened to E.O.S.
at the influental stage in his life. I would say that I have been much more inspired my Mike and early Opeth than he´s been inspired by me...

by the way...

the first death growl, scream can be found on the Sad Wings of Destiny version of Victim Of Changes....19..early...something...74/75???

I think it is quite "hearable" that Mike was inspired mostly by David Vincent. Especially in the parts where he starts growling "fading in" (for instance at "The Amen Corner" on M.A.Y.H). He actually told this on a concert in 013, Holland. But what the hell, I'm back on the Swanö forum, talking about Opeth again.

I remember reading something in a "cult as fuck" fanzine (you know, the shitty black and white kind) from back when MAYH came out. Obviously, I've slept since then, so my recollection could be off, but I remember it mentioned how Dan more or less molded Akerfeldt's vocals when producing/engineering/etc the first 2 opeth albums and Brave Murder Day... then again, how the hell would the author know? Was he/she in the studio? I also read a similar article when the second Bloodbath came out...

I think Dan has a hell of a lot more influence on the musicians around him and the musicians in the scene, than he would lead any of us on to. He is a very modest person.