Did anyone attend any of the Fates Warning/Dream Theater/Queensryche shows?

Silent Spirit

Sup Dudes!
Dec 5, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone here on the forums went to any of their shows. I went to the one in LA, and man, best $50 I have ever spent. Fates Warning was awesome, lots of energy. They played some good ones, a couple from Disconnected, and a few older ones too. But, all of the sudden, in the middle of their set, another vocalist came on-stage and started singing. I recognized the song, but I just couldn't pick my finger on it. All of the sudden it hit me, I was watching and listening to Kevin Moore and Ray Alder sing Shutdown from OSI!! It was crazy, it was the last thing I expected them to do, but in hindsight, it makes perfect sense. Anyway, I couldn't believe they played that song that was a wonderful surprise.

Dream Theater sure was enjoyable too. They played a lot of the great ones, including some good stuff from Scences from a Memory. But man, they had a LOT of distortion, just lots of free floating noise, kinda pissed me off.

I think I enjoyed Queensryche the most, however. They came on last and were WELL worth the wait. Geoff Tate can really sing, forget screwing up in the studio and taking another shot at it, he was dead on the whole night. They played some great ones off Operation Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land. An awesome live band!! To anyone who was at any of their shows, or anyone else who would know, what song was that where Tate was painted up, half blue and half green with vampire teeth? It was an excellent song, but I had never heard it before.

And for the encore - Dream Theater and Queensryche took the stage together and played some Pink Floyd and The Who. I've heard very little from those two bands, so the highlight of the encore for me was Geoff Tate singing "Under Peruvian Skies" (alongside LaBrie, of course) and LaBrie singing "Take Hold of the Flame" (alongside Tate, of course). HAHA, during the encore, there was a total of ten musicians onstage!

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the exceptional show and see if any of you liked the shows as much as I did!
(I've posted this at a few different boards just to make sure I cover all my bases.)

I went July 17th here in Michigan. Dream Theater was last, followed by the same type of encore, but it was Comfortably Numb/The Spirit Carries On/Take Hold of the Flame. Seeing BOTH drummers Portnoy's set was cool. :cool:

Was Tate painted in the show, or do you mean in an old video they showed on the screen? It was likely one of the songs off The Warning.

Silent Spirit said:
All of the sudden it hit me, I was watching and listening to Kevin Moore and Ray Alder sing Shutdown from OSI!! It was crazy, it was the last thing I expected them to do, but in hindsight, it makes perfect sense.
Indeed an awesome show. I saw the Boston performance, though I need to correct you here. You didn't see Kevin Moore, but you did see the Fates Warning fill-in drummer (Nick D'Virgilio a.k.a. Spock's Beard) come to the front and sing with Ray Alder as Portnoy took over the set for that song. When I saw them in Boston it was the first time they did this, and they've been doing it at each subsequent show since. Very cool. Last I read, Moore is currently in Turkey.

nckissfan said:
I went to the Tampa show. I enjoyed all the bands. They all sounded great. Fates was really good, I just wish they could have played longer.
Ditto on Fates. Saw the show in New Jersey. Most excellent. Queensryche totally ruled. Too bad the new album, Tribe, came out after the show. Would have liked to have been familiar with the new stuff.

joebobodo said:
...though I need to correct you here. You didn't see Kevin Moore, but you did see the Fates Warning fill-in drummer (Nick D'Virgilio a.k.a. Spock's Beard) come to the front and sing with Ray Alder as Portnoy took over the set for that song. When I saw them in Boston it was the first time they did this, and they've been doing it at each subsequent show since. Very cool. Last I read, Moore is currently in Turkey.

Ah, thank you. I just naturally assumed it was Kevin Moore since he does most of the vocals on OSI (right?). I knew Portnoy took over, which didn't make sense to me, but now that you have explained it, it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the correction.

Oh and by the way, they just showed an old video of Tate's painted face, which I learned was "Screaming in Digital".

i went to a show and it is quite possibly one of the top five best shows i have been too!!!!!! awesome fucking show!! dream theater played the best set list i have ever seen them play, queensryche played some great songs.. and when both of them came on together.. well, that kicked ass and the drum - off was killer.. the queensryche guitarist tried to play some petrucci licks but kept ruining them hahaha and he tried to play with his teeth and it sounded aweful hahaha.. well, awesome fucking show... fates warning ruled too.. and vicious rumors opened and I MISSED IT!!!! I NEVER MISS VICIOUS RUMORS!!! EVER!!!!! ah, oh well. outstanding show!! - ben

AMBR said:
Ditto on Fates. Saw the show in New Jersey. Most excellent. Queensryche totally ruled. Too bad the new album, Tribe, came out after the show. Would have liked to have been familiar with the new stuff.

I saw them at PNC in NJ also. I don't know how much the new album would have helped, Queensryche only did one new song, the first one.

Silent Spirit, how come you didn't mention that Dream Theater did "Diary of a Madman" at that show? That must have been F'n incredible!!!

I posted about it a while ago, DT rocked at Pittsburgh. Metropolis, A Mind Beside Itself, The Glass Prison, Learning to Live... all in the same set! They played "Never Get Fooled Again" by The Who for the DT/QR jam. We got lost on the way so we missed a lot of Fates Warning, though. :(

Platinum Maze said:
I saw them at PNC in NJ also. I don't know how much the new album would have helped, Queensryche only did one new song, the first one.
Yea, I know, just thought if the cd hadn't been delayed they might have played more of it.

Snowmaker said:
I went July 17th here in Michigan. Dream Theater was last, followed by the same type of encore, but it was Comfortably Numb/The Spirit Carries On/Take Hold of the Flame. Seeing BOTH drummers Portnoy's set was cool. :cool:

Was Tate painted in the show, or do you mean in an old video they showed on the screen? It was likely one of the songs off The Warning.

I was there as well. Row E on the right side just in front of Petrucci. It was perhaps the best concert I've ever been to. If only they had done Glass Prison, it would've been perfect.

I saw the show at the Aragon in Chicago. Fates Warning was pretty good, but the sound was very muddy. I had never heard a Queensryche song until that night - and I was impressed. They're a great band.

Dream Theater was spot on, but I wasn't too pleased with their setlist...

Metropolis Pt. I
Under A Glass Moon
The Great Debate
Led Zeppelin cover (I was pissed that they were wasting time with this)
Erotomania
Voices (edited)
The Silent Man (electric version)
Only A Matter Of Time
Pull Me Under

Sure, the first two songs rocked, but I was unimpressed with the rest. They played The Great Debate when they should have done The Glass Prison. And I've never been a fan of the A Mind Beside Itself trilogy. I was surprised that they did a song from their first album, though.

I waited for an hour or so after the show, and I met Joey Vera (bassist for Fates Warning) - real cool guy. I'd met all of Dream Theater before (except Petrucci), so I wasn't about to camp out and wait for their uptight asses to leave the venue. When I met them last year, they were not rude - but they did seem pretty arrogant. Petrucci never got off the bus last year (in most cities), so I wasn't going to wait around for him this time.

I am sick of these mixed tours with Dream Theater, though. It's almost not even worth seeing them for 90 minutes - they can fit, what, five songs in their set? I wish they'd just play their usual 3-hour set.

yeah I, too, am tired of their double billing thing. This tour would have been awesome with just Fates Warning and Dream Theater. FW could have played a full set, DT could have played a full set. Damn I would have been so happy!

Hey Guyz, Did anyone see Allan Holdsworth hanging out?:OMG: I got to have a couple of sips and some Hi 5's with him. It was his first time seeing the DT and was wanting to meet JP.... It was LIKE MAN !!! Your the reason why I picked up the guitar..... :loco: He was so kool with it all. Hard pressed not to make a fool out of myself when we were chatting but, u no how it goez.....

Big Al