Did anyone attend any of the FW/DT/QR shows recently?

Silent Spirit

Sup Dudes!
Dec 5, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone here on the forums went to any of their shows. I went to the one in LA, and man, best $50 I have ever spent. Fates Warning was awesome, lots of energy. They played some good ones, a couple from Disconnected, and a few older ones too. But, all of the sudden, in the middle of their set, another vocalist came on-stage and started singing. I recognized the song, but I just couldn't pick my finger on it. All of the sudden it hit me, I was watching and listening to Kevin Moore and Ray Alder sing Shutdown from OSI!! It was crazy, it was the last thing I expected them to do, but in hindsight, it makes perfect sense. Anyway, I couldn't believe they played that song that was a wonderful surprise.

Dream Theater sure was enjoyable too. They played a lot of the great ones, including some good stuff from Scences from a Memory. But man, they had a LOT of distortion, just lots of free floating noise, kinda pissed me off.

I think I enjoyed Queensryche the most, however. They came on last and were WELL worth the wait. Geoff Tate can really sing, forget screwing up in the studio and taking another shot at it, he was dead on the whole night. They played some great ones off Operation Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land. An awesome live band!! To anyone who was at any of their shows, or anyone else who would know, what song was that where Tate was painted up, half blue and half green with vampire teeth? It was an excellent song, but I had never heard it before.

And for the encore - Dream Theater and Queensryche took the stage together and played some Pink Floyd and The Who. I've heard very little from those two bands, so the highlight of the encore for me was Geoff Tate singing "Under Peruvian Skies" (alongside LaBrie, of course) and LaBrie singing "Take Hold of the Flame" (alongside Tate, of course). HAHA, during the encore, there was a total of ten musicians onstage!

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the exceptional show and see if any of you liked the shows as much as I did!
(I've posted this at a few different boards just to make sure I cover all my bases.)

I went to the show last night in Concord and it was fucking awesome. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. I'm a bigger Dream Theater fan, but I actually think Queensryche had a better performance. Tate is a great frontman (LaBrie should take some notes) and really got the crowd pumped. I normally don't even sing at concerts, but this time I was belting out Jet City Woman and Eyes of a Stranger at the top of my lungs. The encore was great fun as well.

By the way, that song your asking about is "Screaming in Digital" from Rage for Order (1986).

I saw em in Houston,Texas and Dt ripped! Coming on before queensryche was just the dumbest thing ever though. Me and my friends left after DT because ryche is just not intense. You got Petrucci and Rudess playing their ass off then you wanna hear ryche?! Right! Sucked because we got their late to get some sleep and ended up staying like 30min. Was worth supporting DT though. I thought they did look better than last year in Austin as well.

Dreamer Deceiver said:
I went to the show last night in Concord and it was fucking awesome. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. I'm a bigger Dream Theater fan, but I actually think Queensryche had a better performance. Tate is a great frontman (LaBrie should take some notes) and really got the crowd pumped. .....

By the way, that song your asking about is "Screaming in Digital" from Rage for Order (1986).
Yeah, I agree with you totally, Dream Theater is a great band, but there was just something that they lacked on stage. Thankfully, Queensryche filled in the void and I ended up enjoying them a lot more. Most likely because of Tate, like you said.

Oh, and thanks for the song title, I knew it sounded familiar.

DreamingofUr...
You didn't even want to at least see what Queensryche sounded/looked like? I mean you paid full price for the tickets right? I think the price was well worth both bands, and I was elated that DT came on first, it was a great warmup for QR.

I saw them a few weeks back in Boston, MA. All three bands put on a great performance. Dream Theater were incredible, as was Queensryche. Good clean sound, great musicianship from all bands.

I saw them in Sacramento last night! OMG! DT fucking owned my soul the entire time! My undivided attention was on the genius that was Petrucci! I really cant believe how awesome that man really is! Seeing Queensryche in the flesh was something to behold! Chris DeGarmo has always been a hero of mine...I mean, they busted out Jet City Woman and i had to sing that shit at the top of my lungs! the very song that got me into them!
Awesomeness! (Fuck me in the brain i wish i had smuggled in a camera!!!)

I saw 'em in LA too. It was excellent. I enjoyed the encore the most, but Dream Theater was amazing alone. I don't really care for Queensryche (read: I dislike them quite a bit), but they put on a decent show. Fates Warning really surprised me, I've never heard much by them (besides the song One)... anyone care to recommend me some?