Anyone hear of Madsword? (FW / DT / QR)

Its pretty good, great musicians and arrangement, something about some of these bands being overly derived though. I get the feeling they spent to much time learning music or emulating their favorite bands. I guess all styles become some what redundant once your used to them.

You into Threshold ? I happily added these guys to my shelves, discovered them rather late though.

Subsurface is good too. The only other one I have is Wounded Land which is good for a first, sometimes they are the best because of the ruff around the edges thing and show more old school metal influence. I just asked because to me they have more of their own thing going on than sounding like a mix and match of DT, SX plus the usual symphonic touches. Im haveing a real hard time adding to my origional list of progressive bands. They were all so different and the later prog that followed I always get the feeling I've heard bits and pieces of it before, sometimes much more than bits and pieces.

I love Madsword! "The Global Village" is one of the most awesomely underrated prog metal albums out there, in my opinion, just a near masterpiece. Sad that they broke up after that album :(

I highly recommend looking for "The Global Village" is you can find it. If you like the two songs on their MySpace (Darkened Rooms and Time In the Ice) then you will love the album, those 2 are a good representation of what you're in for. The production on that album is also just....wow.

Also a huge fan of Threshold! All their albums are great. Extinct Instinct is my fav. The song "Eat The Unicorn" from that album is superb!