Did Dan "produce" or "mix" Brave Murder Day?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
The sound of that album is one of the godliest and most haunting sounds ever... another CD that is stunning and blows my mind is Amorphis - Elegy. While I'm not a big fan of either band, I feel the sound of these albums makes them somehow different. I don't know what. They are just so apart from everything else within their genres. They have a sad, sorrowful feel to them. A bit like Floyd maybe. I can't put my finger on it. The psychedelic vibe I'm talking about. Anyone know what I'm saying?

... and Akerfeldt's best ever vocal performance is BMD. He holds his growl for a very long time, fading into amazing waves of white noise. Not even on Crimson1 or Morningrise/Still Life (my fave Opeth discs) has he ever sung this way. So I'm guessing the reason could be Dan. Maybe he was behind the production... or am I completely off base here? Whatever it is, I felt the need to once again point out that Brave Murder Day is possibly my favourite doom death album ever.

Well, it says on the cd that Katatonia produced it and it was "engineered" by Dan.(whatver that means, see what dan has to say if he responds)

I agree with the vocals...amazing performance by mike.

spikes77 said:
Well, it says on the cd that Katatonia produced it and it was "engineered" by Dan.(whatver that means, see what dan has to say if he responds)
Usually that means that Katatonia knew exactly what they wanted as far as sound and did not need any help motivating themselves or do the arrangements of the music. In that case, Dan would just turn the knobs and stop when the band said that it sounded good. Additionally he would suggest mic placements and such but ultimatly the band would make the decision as to what they wanted.