Brave Murder Day

Katatonia are my favourite band, so naturally I think Brave Murder Day is better than anything Opeth have done. Completely different, obviously, but I prefer to listen to Katatonia.

They run in this order as far as quality is concerned, 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down', 'Tonight's Decision', 'Brave Murder Day' and the rest....

There's not band like them in the world.

Well...for anyone who has heard LFDGD, Tonights Decision and Discouraged Ones...and not heard BMD, expect to hear a completely different style of vocals and song structure.

The only common thread I can say about all the Katatonia albums, including BMD...is the atmosphere. They've always maintained that Doomy...drudgy atmosphere that makes you feel like you've just been gently bludgened with a velvet sandbag.

Tremendous stuff...what can I say, next to Opeth...probably my faviroute band and one of my faviroute albums.

It sounds good...but its very similar all the time. Not so much variation in the riffs.

Then I must say...
This must be the least complex or simplyest album Ive ever heard in my whole lifetime!

The guitars are simple, I cant imagine that the bass would be hard and the drums are laughable!
Its almost the same comp through the whole album with some some bad fills.

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
It sounds good...but its very similar all the time. Not so much variation in the riffs.

Then I must say...
This must be the least complex or simplyest album Ive ever heard in my whole lifetime!

The guitars are simple, I cant imagine that the bass would be hard and the drums are laughable!
Its almost the same comp through the whole album with some some bad fills.

Ever heard of the saying less is more? Probably one of the best sayings ever. Why make something more complex than necessary?

The drums are amazing! Lots of people thought that Katatonia used a drum machine on BMD when it first came out, but nope... that's just the amazing drumming of Jonas (before he took up full-time vocal duties)... My point is, I think the drumming is great... it's perfect for Katatonia's style of music!

"The drums are amazing! Lots of people thought that Katatonia used a drum machine on BMD when it first came out, but nope... that's just the amazing drumming of Jonas (before he took up full-time vocal duties)... My point is, I think the drumming is great... it's perfect for Katatonia's style of music!"

Are you serious?

For you who haven't listened to it yet.. find "Rainroom"! That was the one I first listened to out of BMD and the next day I purchased the album... and it fuckin rulez!
I don't really like Katatonia but this album is just great. Mikael is a guarantee for me.. everything he touches turns to gold..

Originally posted by Vortex
"12" is as perfect as metal songs get! I just got that album a while ago... oh my god is it great or what..

It's great!!! Very great!!! Even the song titles are great:

Brave
Murder
Day
Rainroom
Endtime

You basically know what you're in for....

Originally posted by Vortex
"12" is as perfect as metal songs get! I just got that album a while ago... oh my god is it great or what..

It's great!!! Very great!!! Even the song titles are great:

Brave
Murder
Day
Rainroom
Endtime

You basically know what you're in for....