"Brave Murder Day"... what's next?

Tonight's Decision is not a metal album. Their earlier work is metal. My opening statement was just refering to the "tr00" metal culture that basically forbids listening to other genres.

I second the recommendation of Arcane Sun. Opeth fans especially should enjoy that.
As always, I recommend Songs of Darkness..., The Dreadful Hours, and Turn Loose the Swans by MDB.

@MasterOfLightning: It is purely your opinion that My Dying Bride are better and more interesting than Katatonia. I disagree with this completely (although I do enjoy MDB), and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would. You'd do well not to state your opinions like they're facts. And you imply that I ONLY listen to Katatonia and no doom bands (not that Katatonia are doom anymore -- they haven't been since Sounds of Decay, and the album in question is Tonight's Decision -- I don't even know why you brought doom metal into this), and that's why I like Katatonia/Tonight's Decision. I don't even want to argue that statement, because 'if you broaden your horizons to other doom metal bands, Katatonia just aren't that impressive' is, again, a stupid remark, since Katatonia are not doom metal (and, according to you, not metal at all anymore, which I actually more or less agree with), so there's no point in comparing them to doom metal bands. But let's just pass over that and agree that, okay, Katatonia are doom metal -- just because you don't find them impressive doesn't mean anything, as whether or not something is 'impressive' is nearly all subjective; and in any case, I don't think you can deny that, if nothing else, Katatonia are certainly original and unique, even if it is in a way that does not impress you.

In closing, I'd again just like to reiterate: you are, of couse, entitled to your opinions, but you are not entitled to proclaim them as though they're irrefutable facts. That's all I have to say on this.

^fair enough. The purpose of a review is to state opinions. I wasn't implying that you specifically need to expand your range of music; it just seems on this forum that sometimes the only four bands that people listen to are Opeth, Katatonia, Bloodbath, and Porcupine Tree. What I said was a general statement. It's not like I said they were terrible or anything. I think my review supported how I felt, and what I thought would have made the album better.

i think masterolightning's review was pretty accurate. although i think i enjoy tonight's decision a little more than he does, it was rational criticism. i would personally recommend viva emptiness or last fair deal over it any day of the week, but it's a solid album for sure.

i'd rate the Kata albums this way:

1. Brave Murder Day
2. Viva Emptiness
3. Discouraged Ones
4. Tonight's Decision, LFDGD
5. Dance Of december Souls

Well, I did decied to pick up "Tonight's Decision" and also picked up a "Nevermore" record and a "My Dying Bride" Record... I think I'll be keeping them all. "TD" sounded pretty good and I understand the reviews both positive and negative so thanks again.. Vocals reminded me of Page Hamilton of Helmet.. not in "Style" as much as it just sounds like his voice. The Nevermore record (Enemy of Reality?) is great after 2 listens, I'm just dissapointed it's only 40 min. of music... My Dying Bride (I think it's something like, "When the Flower Withers" or something like that.. it's in the car w/ the others. Sorry if I am butchering the titles) is also good after 1 listen. Reminded me of old Black Sabbath musically anyway at least during parts..

I'll give more details when I have the CD's in front of me and have listened to them more, but I think I'm really going to like all 3. :headbang:

K, Out.:devil:

tonight's decision is my favorite katatonia album. they are my favorite band not named opeth. if you are new to katatonia, consider the fact that everything after brave murder day has clean vocals. tonight's decision doesn't sound much like brave murder day at all, so if that is what you are expecting, it might disappoint you.

@Mr Samsara: Just keep listening to TD. It's well worth your time.

About Nevermore... great band! I'd suggest that next you get Dreaming Neon Black, IMO their best album, or at least my favorite. Second to that for me is probably Dead Heart in a Dead World. Also, keep your eyes open, because Nevermore are rereleasing Enemies of Reality with the production it should have originally had. According to Warrel (the singer), it sounds about 5 million times better (well, I made that number up =P).

But yeah, definitely get Dreaming Neon Black next. I'd say it's like their 'My Arms, Your Hearse'.

I think Opeth fans are decieved by "Brave murder day" having Mikael on vocals. Some morons think that just because Mikael did the growls on that album, that it's their only good and worthy "doom" release. That for some, causes extreme denial in how overrated that album is. The last two tracks are great, but come on guys..clearly the Jhva Elohem Meth and For Funerals to Come eps are way fucking better...and Dance of December Souls is the mighty, original and the DOOM full length. Brave Murder Day musicially is generally the same as the newer rock direction, it just has growls. I prefer DoDS because it's totally original...the music is pure melody...it's like slowed down black metal (kinda). To each his own.

Tonight's Decision Mr. Samsara was my first rock Katatonia album is I think it's pretty good, but it isn't as depressing as people make it out to be. The best rock album of theirs imo is Discouraged Ones. That album displays their catchiest, most melancholic songwriting for the current sound. One of the best depressing albums I've ever heard.

Also, I suggest you return that Enemies of reality because they're re-releasing the remastered version very soon (because the original was god awful muddy production). but maybe you did get the remaster hmm...All Nevermore is awesome...just randomly pick an album and it'll be good. Dreaming Neon black of course is an excellent choise.

Which My dying bride record did you get?

Dreadful said:
Tonight's Decision Mr. Samsara was my first rock Katatonia album is I think it's pretty good, but it isn't as depressing as people make it out to be. The best rock album of theirs imo is Discouraged Ones. That album displays their catchiest, most melancholic songwriting for the current sound. One of the best depressing albums I've ever heard.

I have listened to it a couple of times now and I really like it. I don't have the time to give it a song by song analysis, but I really don't find it depressing at all. I like the pace, the production and the overall feeling of the record is good. I didn't up getting the version with bonus tracks though..

Dreadful said:
Also, I suggest you return that Enemies of reality because they're re-releasing the remastered version very soon (because the original was god awful muddy production). but maybe you did get the remaster hmm...All Nevermore is awesome...just randomly pick an album and it'll be good. Dreaming Neon black of course is an excellent choise.

Looks like here is the only place where I can get it... and I don't understand Euro's at all... anyone want to tell me how much it is in dollars?

Dreadful said:
Which My dying bride record did you get?

I got "As the Flower Withers".. I like it a lot as well. I feel like I need to clean cob webs out of my hair after I listen to it... :)

Out:devil:

only Katatonia other than LFDGD(which i love) ive heard is the one song 'Distrust', think thats off discouraged ones, pretty cool song if not really really reptitive, but if youre in the mood a cool song...but the mellow/clean singing on LFDGD is fantastic, especially for music in the car driving home from work at night to wind down :D