So what do all of you think of Katatonia?

I heard one of their songs on a compilation cd and it sounded good, so because of that and because Opeth is a fan of theirs, I decided to puchase a Katatonia cd...I cannot remember the name of it...it lies somewhere collecting dust. Maybe I will give it another chance. For some reason they sounded like Helmet to me.

mmmh, i find TD darker than the other albums, and that's maybe i consider it one of their best efforts.

but, even if mikael sings on it, i canot understand why many people consider brave murder day a masterpiece. especially the 10 minutes of the first track, i find them sooooooo boring...

katatonia is good, but compared to opeth, well, that's another [higher] level of music quality.

Agreed as well. I always wished they had held off on releasing songs like that until they had enough to make a full-lengh.

deadgroom-
”Oh, and can't wait for the new album, really interested to see what this 'new direction' Anders mentioned is gonna be like. It's all been mixed, now we just get to wait impatiently for the release.”

New album? I heard chatter of that a while back, but haven’t checked since. This is good news. I wonder what’s in store. SWEET! The guy that introduced me to Katatonia sent me all of Last Fair Deal... through emails. He had a user name on AOL of October Tide. I never got to thank him for that. He sent me a few EP tracks too, like Sulfur. There’s something about the devastating tones and lyrics that I just can’t get enough of. What’s that make me, a depression nympho? :lol: :p

I never checked out October Tide until a few months back. I thought it sounded too similar to what Katatonia is, but I didn’t give more than a few tracks of listening.

OH BOY! :D I've never heard Help Me Disappear or Nowhere. What label is that going to be released under...do ya know?

Katatonia remain my favourite band. Personally I feel that 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' is their greatest release to date. The meloncholy on that album is astounding... it resonates through the soul. Tracks like 'Teargas', 'Tonight's Music', 'The Future of Speech' and 'Chrome' break my heart.

'Tonight's Decision' and 'Brave Murder Day' are also classic albums. 'Discouraged Ones' I enjoy less, however it has its place in the canon.