Brave Murder Day Split up?

the_dying

Jan 4, 2003
La Flandre
gorath.blackmetal.be
Found this on that Polish fansite:
"Katatonia split up just before the "Brave Murder Day" release was due to musical differences between the members of the band. Anders wanted to continue his Diabolical Masquerade project and Jonas and Fred their October Tide."

I never knew this. But it somehow explains why "Rain Without End" was so "Brave Murder Day" alike. I always wondered why Katatonia just hasn't released that album. Backwards it seemed like everything turned out fine.

Yeah...I found out about that long after it happened too. Interesting. I'm certainly glad they eventually decided to go on with Katatonia (while also continuing the abovementioned side projects for awhile)!

the_dying said:
I never knew this. But it somehow explains why "Rain Without End" was so "Brave Murder Day" alike. I always wondered why Katatonia just hasn't released that album. Backwards it seemed like everything turned out fine.

I really don't think they sound anything alike, maybe the same general style but there is definetly something very different about the two releases/bands.

Did you guys know that while Katatonia were broken up Anders was going to record an alblum under the name Katatonia....with the title...."Sorrow Will Never Die...Immortal Passion"....old magazines are the shit.....found it in an old ass "Koito zine"

I wonder if he ever recorded anything for that alblum......

Interesting. I'd like to know what was going on. What directions did they want to go? Had it maybe something to do with continue with only clean vocals?

So glad they did it though

this "screaming" vocals thing winds me up, there is little if any expression in someone throating away at words.. its like the way rapping words has little feeling, screaming vocals all sound the same, and whats worse is you can barely understand a fucking word of it..

take the latest Opeth album, a masterpiece, until he screams, its just ruined a fantastic album.. yeah so you can scream, but all those bits sound the same..

I will say they is one exception, but that is due to the nature of the time and the piece of music, and thats Brave Murder Day

The grunts as well as the clean vocals are super. Mike's doing very well in BMD and SOD. But I guess Jonas couldn't find his proper grunt back. Like Swanö had some time... I don't like the grunts on Rain Without End that much.

the_dying said:
The grunts as well as the clean vocals are super. Mike's doing very well in BMD and SOD. But I guess Jonas couldn't find his proper grunt back. Like Swanö had some time... I don't like the grunts on Rain Without End that much.

Rain Without End has some awesome vox on it (IMHO), and continues to be one of my top ten favourite cds.

I read this first time in a Swedish interview with Fred. And this interview were done around the time of the making of 'brave murder day' I think.

maybe I'll translate it later.... it was published in a student magazine and not so well done though.

The screams on DODS are very sorrowful and sad, if you can't notice that then you must be ignorant.

I'll fight this til the day I *sigh*.

Her own Pride said:
So glad they did it though

this "screaming" vocals thing winds me up, there is little if any expression in someone throating away at words.. its like the way rapping words has little feeling, screaming vocals all sound the same, and whats worse is you can barely understand a fucking word of it..

take the latest Opeth album, a masterpiece, until he screams, its just ruined a fantastic album.. yeah so you can scream, but all those bits sound the same..

I will say they is one exception, but that is due to the nature of the time and the piece of music, and thats Brave Murder Day
Brutal/screaming vocals are fucking intense and strong, that's why they're used. They express extreme emotion/desperation/anger and it works amazingly well if executed properly/genuinely and if understood, which you obviously don't.
insidethefall said:
I really don't think they sound anything alike, maybe the same general style but there is definetly something very different about the two releases/bands.
I agree, BMD's guitarwork is much more straight forward, October Tide's is more melodic.
Deliverance6 said:
Did you guys know that while Katatonia were broken up Anders was going to record an alblum under the name Katatonia....with the title...."Sorrow Will Never Die...Immortal Passion"....old magazines are the shit.....found it in an old ass "Koito zine"

I wonder if he ever recorded anything for that alblum......
What about the "Moonbride" album? I own a very old issue of Mortician magazine with a Katatonia intie and an Opeth intie before they had even released an album :).

Erik said:
What was to become "Moonbride" --> "For Funerals to Come..."
Actually, from what I understand based something Anders said a while back (here), the Moonbride concept was never fully developed and didn't end up becoming anything that was ever released.

Although the Moonbride shirt was indeed made for the For Funerals to Come... days.

(I still wish the Moonbride and Where Hearses Go at Midnight concepts would be finished and recorded.)

shadowNINE said:
Actually, from what I understand based something Anders said a while back (here), the Moonbride concept was never fully developed
It wasn't (three songs don't make an album, but they do make an EP)

and didn't end up becoming anything that was ever released.
Look here for what Lord Seth Renkse has to say on the matter:

http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=695957&postcount=9

There it is in black & white (or white & red, as the case may be)