Katatonia - Brave Murder Day

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Century Media - 1996
By John Knudsen

After being a fan of Katatonia's Dance Of December Souls for some years I looked forward to hear their outcome back in 1996, and I must say that I wasn't dissappointed!

The music style had changed since For Funerals To Come, also Jonas had given up growling, and instead they borrowed Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth. This gave the music a kick I never would have expected. Take Mikael's growling combined with Blackheim's beautiful guitar riffs and throw in some of Jonas' drumming, then you got one of the best albums ever! Today it's 5 years since I bought it, and it has just continued to grow. It doesn't matter what time at day it is, this CD can always be played.

The first song "Murder" opens with a real cool guitar riff, Blackheim plays more aggressive than ever and Mikael's voice is beautiful and evil. The third song "Day" shows how Katatonia were going to become the next couple of years, introducing a song with clean vocals only; I recommend this! A classic which everyone should have in their collection.