Katatonia- Brave Murder Day

HarmonyDies....

Semi-True
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
I picked up this album with numerous reccommendations from fellow UM members, and was still not convinced to buy it, because there was more important CDs on my list. I went to the Record Store one day and the only thing that caught my eye was Katatonia- Brave Murder Day, I relunctantly picked it up. So I got home and put it in my CD Player with high expectations, my expectations were not let down by this simply brilliant album.

For those of you unfamilliar with Katatonia, they are Dark/Depressing metal now with clean vox, but on Brave Murder Day they had Death Metal vox courtesy of Mikael Akertfelt. The opening song Brave, which a simply brilliant song, condidered by many to be Katatonia's best song, it is a pretty long song, but you can never tell because it is so good. The next song Murder is one of my favourite songs on the album , it does'nt wreck the pace which Brave set for the album, it is a perfect follow up, a short song, and of course depressing. Day is a song that really gets to me, Jonas' Renske tortured clean vox always sends chills down my spine, it's so fragile and brittle, and just convey's all the emotion. The last three songs Rainroom, 12, and Endtime, don't let up the depressing and dark atmosphere.

To wrap it up everything on this album is perfect, Anders Nystrom, simple yet well structured songs are simply the best out there at the moment. THis is a must have for people into the Darker side of music

Rating: 9/10

I haven't bought any of their albums yet. I've only heard a lot of different songs from various albums. But I like this review, sounds like my kind of stuff. I'll check it out.

Thanks man, but if you don't like repetetive drumming you probably would'nt like it. and if you perfer Clean Vocals get Discouraged ones its also very good.

Originally posted by HarmonyDies....
Also check out Anathema preferably The Silent Enigma.
NO! It's their weakest album, go for A4 or Eternity! :p

Like the review of BMD, agree with it, though I think the song considered by many to be "Katatonia's best song" is not Brave, but Murder...

I really agree with your points on Day, it sends shivers down my spine, it just sounds so intensely desperate, cold and fragile... brrr... great!

Liked the review. :D I think that the best song by far on it though is "Rainroom" that song is awesome!:headbang: I love the "wintery" atmosphere I get for this album.

Originally posted by MadTinus
NO! It's their weakest album, go for A4 or Eternity! :p

Like the review of BMD, agree with it, though I think the song considered by many to be "Katatonia's best song" is not Brave, but Murder...

I really agree with your points on Day, it sends shivers down my spine, it just sounds so intensely desperate, cold and fragile... brrr... great!

You're out of your mind. Silent Enigma, along with Pentacost III, is Anathema's best album from their metal period. I can't speak for their new stuff because I don't like it, but if you like doom/death metal, these are some of the best albums offered.

He's right. You can't possibly have a life and post +2000 posts in 5 months at the same time.

As for this album, it is the atmosphere I like more than anything else. The songs drag quite a bit and are best for running in the background without too much concentration.

I love Katatonia. But personally i think that everything after BMD is their best material. I do like the first albums too, but there's just something about Discouraged Ones and everything after that.