"Brave Murder Day"... what's next?

Mr Samsara

Misanthropic Moderator
Jul 9, 2004
Carrying a Burden Inside
What's up everyone? I've only heard "Brave Murder Day" and am trying to give Katatonia a bigger listen. Found a copy of "Tonight's Decision" which I have on hold and am planning to purchase tomorrow. What can I expect? Any other recomendations?

Thanks,

Out.:devil:

P.S. I've posted this on the Katatonia forum as well, but wanted to get some feedback from you all as well...

I've heard Brave Murder Day, Tonight's Decision, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, and Viva Emptiness, and Last Fair Deal Gone Down is easily my favorite so I would recommend that one...didn't really like Tonight's Decision at all

synergy said:
I've heard Brave Murder Day, Tonight's Decision, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, and Viva Emptiness, and Last Fair Deal Gone Down is easily my favorite so I would recommend that one...didn't really like Tonight's Decision at all

I appreciate the info... but could you be a bit more specific? Has their style changed? What does Tonight's Decision sound like? and Down? why do you like it? How do the records differ? (Example: I really like In Flames "The Jester Race" and "Whoreacle"... but I've heard "Clayman" and some newer stuff and I don't like it nearly as much.... the sound changed a lot IMO...Not trying to be a pain in the ass, I'm just curious.... and being a pain in the ass comes naturally for me. :Smug:

K, thanks.:devil:

well personally I thought the vocals on Tonight's Decision were terrible, and that the songs were boring. Last Fair Deal Gone Down, on the other hand, doesn't have one weak track, and the vocals seem to have improved a lot. Songs like Disposession, Teargas, and Tonight's Music are just too damn good.

Here is my review of Tonight's Decision for metal-archives.com.

It’s okay to have some non-metal albums in your collection, but there are probably others you’ll want before this one.

Tonight’s Decision is probably more satisfying than most of the hard rock on the market, but it doesn’t quite manage to be captivating for the full hour of music here. I think Katatonia has succeeded in creating an atmosphere throughout the album, but it is just too dreary at times. The lyrical content is depressing and deals with a lot of suicide and impending doom. The similarities between the sound of the songs, and the steady vocals reinforce the mood. Song structures do vary a bit, but the tones and ideas in the songs are so similar that it’s hard to notice at times. Part of this problem has to do with the production. The verses and choruses of the songs run together after a while, and the songs sound the same, largely due to the fact that these songs all move at about the same pace. There are times where the production should spice up the album, but the touches are very subtle. There are vocal and drum echoes, bass passages, and some electronic effects, but these all fit so well that it takes a good ear to notice them. When an album needs some variety, this doesn’t help. In general, the drums aren’t flashy, the bass is almost nonexistent, and the vocals are somewhat monotonous.

The album starts well, as the first four songs are pretty catchy despite the dark topics and slow pace. Anders Nyström’s lead playing is what makes these songs work. His guitar tone is very clean and high-pitched compared to the gritty, crunchier rhythm guitar work. In Death, A Song is a good example of how the two guitars combine to make a song work. Afer a while though, the chugging guitar on every track starts to get a bit dull. Nyström’s guitar also becomes less interesting. Right into the Bliss is a happier sounding song, but it just kind of plods along.

Late in the album is A Darkness Coming, which is a highlight that shouldn’t be overlooked. The acoustic guitar sounds warmer than anything else on the album, and there’s a pleasant flute sound in the background. Then in the middle of the song, a guitar solo (I remember those!) stands out. More guitar solos could have really livened things up. This is a great moment. In a similar vein to the acoustic parts of this song is the instrumental tacked on the end of the final track.

Katatonia succeeded in what they were trying to do most likely. Unfortunately, this album has limited appeal because of the depressing atmosphere and lack of variety. There are some good songs here, but for the most part, this is not something you’ll end up listening to all that often.

Recommended Tracks: For My Demons; In Death, A Song; A Darkness Coming.

Why in the fuck are Opeth fans complaining about dark and dreary? I don't know if you all have noticed, but Opeth isn't exactly happy music. I really can't believe some of the replies I'm seeing. Terrible vocals? They're at least as good as Mike's (singing), if not better, as Mikael misses notes more often than Jonas (and I'm not dogging Mike, don't get me wrong).

Mr. Samsara, if I were you I would completely disregard the negative replies you've gotten. I get the impression that most of such sentiments are the result of not listening to the album enough. I could see why someone would say this is a 'boring' album, as there is absolutely no flashy technique or songwriting anywhere, and the songs do all have a similar sound -- but I disagree that it is boring because if this album had more variation, or guitar solos, or anything else, then the beauty -- the emotional intensity -- of this album would be lost. While there are certainly stand-out tracks, this album's true greatness is heard only when you listen to it as a whole. There's a very tense and anxious feeling to this album, enhanced by the remorseful lyrics which make references to 'something on the way' and 'a darkness coming' (and which, incidentally, do NOT deal with 'a lot of suicide' -- that was a totally stupid remark on the part of MasterOfLightning), and the mood just builds as the album progresses, climaxing with 'Strained' and 'A Darkness Coming' and with 'Black Session' seeming like a sort of epilogue. In fact, it sort of reminds me of My Arms, Your Hearse because of how it builds, climaxes and ends (albeit with very different emotions). This album is just sheer emotion, masterfully done in a stripped down fashion (yet not as stripped down as Discouraged Ones). I can't explain this album to you, obviously, because you can't explain great music and the effect it has on you, but I would NOT worry at all about your purchase, as I firmly declare that it is one of the best CDs you will ever buy.

Katatonia in general sounds very similar from tonights decision and onwards, but from viva emptyness you can sort of hear more of a defined structure, and is generally more interesting to listen to, yea katatonia is very depressing (but this is what gives its appeal to its audience i for one appreciate it), and sometimes boring, but this is largely to do with the fact that the singer actually has a very distinct voice but never really goes out of its range to create a different melody. either way there are some very good songs on each katatonia album, but theres a few boring and unnescesary ones too. this is why the best ofs may be worth a purchase like 'brave yester years' or the 'black sessions' as that has a dvd of them aswell, and all the best songws, then just find out which are your favorite songs and then get that album, although a few people dissagree on this method because it sort of shows an undedication to the band, but its the best way if you want to spend your hard earned cash. personally im a huge fan of katatonia and theyr an easy listening band when i dont want to listen to things like immortal, burzum and emperor. same for tool and opeth both my favorite bands.

What you can expect is something very different from Brave Murder Day. BMD was their last "doom" album before they ventured into melancholic rock territory.

I personally never got into Tonight's Decision nearly as much as I got into Discouraged Ones and Last Fair Deal Gone Down (the albums that preceed and follow Tonight's Decision respectively) but I can't really explain why. I think Nightmares by the Sea is the best track on it but it's a cover, so...

Discouraged Ones is a great album because it's their first step into the new direction and it's a very stripped down and emotional album. And Last Fair Deal Gone Down is basically that same style but matured (since it's 2 albums later) and dressed up a bit with a more complex sound (not in that it's necessarily technical, but there's a lot more going on in most songs than there is on Discouraged Ones). I think both of those albums are fantastic in their own way but if I had to pick a favourite I'd probably go with Last Fair Deal Gone Down just because the song writing had matured quite a bit by then and it shows.

Their new compilation album called The Black Sessions wouldn't be a bad place to start if you want to listen to 'new' Katatonia. It has a pretty good selection from all of their later albums and it comes with a live DVD.

Thanks a lot everyone. Not in spite, but actually because of the variety and depth of the analysis and opinions... this is exactly what I was asking for. I appreciate it. I think I will pick up this record with the option of returning it if I just cannot stand it. I'll let you know what I think after a few listens which may take a couple of weeks to really give it a fair chance... but we'll see. Thanks again.. :headbang:

Out.:devil:

I stand by my review. The score was a 70%. If you broaden your horizons to other doom metal bands, Katatonia just isn't that impressive. I disliked Brave Murder Day. My Dying Bride is an infinitely more interesting band with much more variety over their career.

MasterOLightning said:
If you broaden your horizons to other doom metal bands, Katatonia just isn't that impressive. I disliked Brave Murder Day. My Dying Bride is an infinitely more interesting band with much more variety over their career.

I'll have to agree. Though MDB have some pretty bland albums, "Turn Loose the Swans" is realy good stuff.

Everyone needs to check out Arcane Sun.