"Tonight's Decision"

Mr Samsara

Misanthropic Moderator
Jul 9, 2004
Carrying a Burden Inside
What's up everyone? Opeth fan here who's only heard "Brave Murder Day" and am trying to give Katatonia a bigger listen. Found a copy of "Tonight's Decision" which I have on hold and am planning to purchase tomorrow. What can I expect? Any other recomendations?

Thanks,

James

Out.:devil:

Expect what is possibly the best album in Katatonia's discography.

The sound is very different from BMD. There are no growls, the songs feel more varied (they aren't, but they seem like they are), more 'pop-ish' (I don't mean this in a bad way). This is an extremely depressing and paranoid album, to me, in no small part because of the lyrics, which are quite terse and are totally devoid of any poetic flowery-ness (unlike Opeth).

Highlights:

For My Demons
I Am Nothing
Right Into The Bliss
Strained
A Darkness Coming
Black Session

Yes Katatonia changed their style after BMD. Expect a more Gothic Metal/Rock sound. You properly have to give the album a few listens before you realize just how great it is.

However I still think that their best album is Discouraged Ones.

Their best album is definitely "Discouraged Ones," followed by "Tonight's Decision."

It's a great album. I hope you got the reissue, though. The one with "Fractured" and "No Devotion."

IMO it's the least depressive album of their discography , "discouraged ones" and "viva emptiness" (for example) are far more more sad and depressive.

Tonight's decision it's more of a straight dark-rock record,with a great final track "black session",and try to get the edition with the 2 bonus track,that are excellent

TD is one of the best, especially with the inclusion of No Devotion. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my favorite, but this is probably 2nd.

Yeah, I agree. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my favorite, but you got the next best one in line. The style is totally different, but I'm sure you'll like it just the same. :) I recommend that you pick up "The Black Sessions" box. (2 cds and a DVD) you can get it from the end records, and it pretty much showcases all of Katatonia's later albums, From Discouraged Ones, to Viva Emptiness. The DVD is excellent as well.

Aaron A. said:
Their best album is definitely "Discouraged Ones," followed by "Tonight's Decision."

It's a great album. I hope you got the reissue, though. The one with "Fractured" and "No Devotion."

Make sure it's the jewelcase version as the digipack is a flimsy package and doesn't include all the artwork. The bonus tracks are good songs (No Devotion rules) but not essential IMO, unlike the LFDGD ones which are on the same level as the album.

Demonspell said:
Make sure it's the jewelcase version as the digipack is a flimsy package and doesn't include all the artwork. The bonus tracks are good songs (No Devotion rules) but not essential IMO, unlike the LFDGD ones which are on the same level as the album.
Yeah, you make a pretty valid point there.

Either way, you're in for a treat, man. Enjoy it!