Did Evergrey use the same artwork of Ivanhoe's "Lifeline"?

painergrey

Jul 15, 2004
Hey guys, check this out:

Solada.:OMG:

I don't understand it completely, but it's in Portuguese, so I can understand it a bit.

They are talking about similar/identical artwork for the front cover of Metal albums.

It looks like Evergrey and Ivanhoe used the same artwork for their 2008's releases. I haven't bought the Ivanhoe album, so I haven't realized that it was the same picture.

I don't speak portugese what so ever, but if i didn't missunderstand the article, Mattias Norén did both covers. Both for 'Torn' and 'Lifetime'.

I didn't read the article (wouldn't understand it anyway), but through a simple google search found this:

l_36b12842da2174aa29814a48cfada4d3.jpg

The same picture of a woman was used for both albums, but the covers themselves are very different (the Torn cover is better :)).

Yeah, they say it's Mattias Norén's artwork. The same picture. The concept is different. Anyway, it's pretty ridiculous that two bands use the same picture for the front cover of their albums in the same fucking year!

Interesting, but disappointing...

But considering the two covers, Matias worked better for Evergrey anyway! hehe

In the article, this brazilian editor Thiago Sarkis who works for the national popular rock/metal magazine Roadie Crew, criticize the lack of creativity by designing two similar covers in the same year!

From the webpage in question that discuss the two artworks:

"We must emphasize, despite the similarities in layers that we see above, that Mattias Noren, the acclaimed graphic designer from Evergrey and Ivanhoe, was competent enough to camouflage his lack of creativity. The impression is that we see two different covers...".

On the other hand, as someone pointed out when TORN's "similarity" to another album was discussed here some time ago (yes, this is not the first time), the pics are likely to have been bought from a picture source. Quite normal that a lot of folks (artists) then use them as they wish.

Consequently, the items are quite likely to show up in different aspects every now and then. The "funny" thing here though is that same artist used it twice. However, I would't consider it a big thing, as he "was competent enough to camouflage his lack of creativity" ;)

It's probably not owned by Mattias no. A lot of artists will use certain photo services like istockphoto.com ,etc. to look for certain elements that would otherwise cost them too much money and time to hire a model/person for it, get the proper (nice) camera/equipment, find a good location/setup etc.

I'm reading it now...

Nóren didn't done the two covers as we thought it could be... In his statement, he regrets about this and says that he has nothing to do with Ivanhoe work, and in the end of it, he shouts a big FUCK about the fact that they (Ivanhoe) used the same backline art...

In the end of the article, the editor says that the "coincidences" with big " " (don't know how to say it in english...) can be verified in covers that hasn't the same artist involved too!

The article:
http://solada.wordpress.com/2008/12...oren-evergrey-ivanhoe-e-mais-artes-similares/