Did I Get a Bad Set-Up?

NegativeVolume

The Unemployed Wonder
Jan 23, 2004
Morganville, NJ
Hey all. I just recently got my guitar set-up at the local music shop and I feel like they did a lousy job :cry:

I now have a slight buzz on the low E and A strings (6-string electric btw). I did not have that prior to set-up. And what's the usual rule of thumb for string distance to the actual fret? By the 12th fret, the strings seem a lot further than they are down by the 1st fret. I slid a business card underneath it. On the first fret the card just stays there, by the 4th fret it falls. I know the strings are supposed to get further from the neck the closer to the picking hand, but how much is too much?

I've tried some searches online for how to set-up a guitar, but I am pretty ignorant at guitar maintenance and I can't really figure out what is being said. So I come here for some guidance.

I appreciate any and all help!

I say, take it back and complain! It's a bit harder if you took it home and paid them, but they did it wrong and you have every right not to be ripped off.

Short answer: Yeah, the guy probably did a bad job, but it's hard to diagnose without actually seeing it. Some slight buzzing is to be expected if you are going for super-low action and is ok so long as it isn't audible through an amp but I'm not sure if it sounds like that's what's going on. Either way, go back and complain if you aren't happy. Give them a chance to fix it, but don't hesitate to find a new place to go if you don't feel comfortable.

Longer answer: I'm not really up to typing out a set-up tutorial right now, but there is some good info to be found on the web. I might chime in later if I can, but ultimately I'd reccomend learning how to do at least basic stuff on your own (adjusting action and intonation, adjusting the truss rod, etc.). It not only saves you money and the hassle of a bad tech ripping you off, but you'd be surprised how useful that stuff can be when you are in a bind.

Thanks for the help guys.

Meedley, I was actually taking a stroll through the internet trying to find some helpful information on the basic maintenance stuff. Does this site accurately describe how to adjust action/intonation/truss rod stuff? http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-a-Guitar

I'm going back today to let them know about the buzz and how the neck feels awkward. I'll let you know how it goes.

What Meeds said: +1

I'd have to see it to say if it's "bad", take it back and talk to the tech.
Did you give them any input on how you'd like the setup done? Did they ask you? a set up isn't necessarily an exact science. Some people like ultra low action, some like it higher. Neither is right or wrong, hence them asking for your input... If someone has me do a set up. whether its a friend, customer, or someone playing Prog Power, I always ask for their input as a starting point. If they are unsure, I'll do a few things, and have them check it out and see if that's what they want. I really need to open my own shop....one of these days....

J-Dub: the dude who did it didn't ask anything. He said, "I"ll do a set-up, check out your electronics and clean them, and it should be done tomorrow." No input was even asked for, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say I didn't tell him what I preferred. But, I'm glad this is a good learning experience for next time.

I went back, and the guy was like, "I just did what you wanted" and went back to his tinkering of guitars. Basically since the customer service was a fail, I went to another local joint and they were mucho more friendly. I asked them is this right, what's up with this, and the guy talked me through what was going on with the guitar. He tweaked the action a bit but for the most part he said it was A-OK. It still feels way different, but mayhaps I was playing something that was so funky that I'm not used to playing something that's smooth and nice. But this new joint was so much friendlier and willing to explain some things to me, which was really cool.

Again, thanks for the replies and input everybody. I will definitely take the time to learn about some basic maintenance and hopefully be able to tweak things the way I want it tweaked.

At a glance, that site looks pretty solid. That said...I wouldn't reccomend jumping right into some stuff on there (like doing a fret level or a refret). There's a lot more room for error with things like that and unless you feel super comfortabe, I wouldn't try it on any instrument you are partial to at this point. I've done those before but even if I still had the proper tools, I think I would still prefer to have those things done for me. Maybe next time you take your guitar into that new place you can have them do the work in front of you just so you can get a hands on look at how those things are done? The web stuff is good, but if the guy knows what he's doing, you'll probably learn more from him showing you and then trying it yourself than you will from reading about it.

Also on a sidenote, for what it's worth, I'd take that site's reccomendations on string guage with a big grain of salt.

Here we go then.

"It'll be done by tomorrow"

No, it will not. Not if it's the first time it's been set in a long time. Sure, you can tweak and tweak a guitar that's been given daily care in the same kind of conditions. But if it's been in a closet, or on the rack, or in the case, or has old strings, different string gauge, etc... it will NOT be done in a day. It will take several days, maybe weeks, of constant balancing before the set up settles. This phrase used by the first guy you went to brands him as an inexperienced amateur.

I went back, and the guy was like, "I just did what you wanted" and went back to his tinkering of guitars.

This has pretty much been my experience in music shops as well. They tend to attract rude employees for some reason. :/ Then it's like, you can be timid and get walked all over or be a dick...which one's worse?

I remember when I was like 12 I brought a clarinet into a local music shop that was having problems and the guy told me "well that's your fault, you're not playing it right" when I showed it to him," and I tried to explain to him I had been playing for a few years, knew how to play reasonably well, and had never had that problem before, and he eventually reluctantly took it, then returned it a few days later exactly the same as I had given it to him, with nothing fixed or as far as I could see even changed. Maybe he re-padded it a little, or did some other shit that had nothing to do with the problem.

Ah, bad childhood experiences.

Good way to check string height is to get your allen wrench set and take one(for example 1,5mm), put it between the string and fret and see how much the distance is. That is usually measured from 12th fret. I would say in guitar's low E side 1,5-2,5mm is fine, 3mm is too much and 1mm is starting to be too less. But it's personal preference again...of course.

And yea Meedleyx is right that you should learn to set it up yourself. But if you want to take it somewhere...better find a guitar luthier from your area and take the guitar there. Music shop guys tend to care more about selling then doing good job in setups etc, lol.

Back in 06 I was traveling in the United States and I had my Ibanez so I was like, I want to get some new pickups! I take it to a local place and ask the dude to put a Michael Romeo set in (x2n bridge, tone zone neck). I even tell him the tone zone has to go in the reverse direction in the neck position, and I left a pack of strings (.10s) that I specifically told him to put on to the guitar after he was done putting the pickups in. 2 days later he calls me and says he can't wire it up for a 5 way switch. I had to take a diagram to him. 2 days after that I come and hes adjusted stuff on the guitar... so I'm like.. okay... And guess what? He put the neck pickup in the wrong direction, even though I specifically told him it which direction in went. Now he told me the cost was going to be $50, $25 for each pickups. When he rings it up it comes to $75. I ask why, he says because he adjusted the truss rod and action.... Now.. I was 17 at the time and didn't have too much confidence, but I swear if that were today I would've gone off on him. I said, whatever, and paid it. Oh yeah, he put a set of .09s on the guitar, AND it was some nameless ass brand of strings that felt like shit.
Horrible experience, absolute horrible experience.

So, what I did when I moved over here to the US when I was 18, I bought a used guitar, looked up www.ibanezrules.com and just read for days and played with the guitar. Now I know how to do everything, pickups, truss rod, intonation, action.. everything! It took so long but now I can completely unassemble a guitar, reassemble it, and give it the best setup of its life. You can see the guitar on the Ibanez wikipedia page, I put it up on there (along with that S the guy messed up I used to own).

You know, a lot of local music shops complain about how internet music stores are killing their business, but you want to know something? Its not because of that. Its because of assholes at music shops. They have their noses in the air, they don't give 2 shits about their customers, and they're all in it for the money. Not quality, just quantity.
I found a cool music store around here, and I befriended a very very nice guy who works there. He is always helpful when I have questions and hes just a real cool guy that I hang out with sometimes. All the other emplyees are jackasses. When I first went to the store, and the next couple of months after that, everything was really cool. Service was cool, they had the gear I wanted and let me test it, and they even had most of their guitars in tune. But now its completely different 2 years from when I first went there. They have a low supply of guitars that are mostly low end, most of then untuned for says. The owners won't buy any new guitars until the ones sitting there are sold. I ask for stuff for them to get and I'd buy from them (like picks and other smaller stuff) and they never order them. All the gear that they've had 2 years ago is still there and it doesn't look like its changing. The place went from a cool music store to just like any other music store. My friend there is still cool, but hes the only guitar guy and gets vastly over-worked so he never has any time to talk or assist anyone. I continously tell the people to hire me but they won't do it because of 'the economy.' Now in the store the prices have increased. $7.00 for a pack of ernie ball slinky strings?

Check this out, I went to that douchebag place where the guy who fucked up my guitar and pickups again a couple months ago because I needed ernie ball slinky .10s and they were the only store who had them. I go in there, and theres a bunch of signs up that say: "WE MATCH INTERNET PRICES, SHOW US THE PRICE AND WE'LL MATCH IT." So I'm like, awesome. I go up to the counter, tell the dude I want blah blah, he says $7.00, I'm like, I want it for the interet price. He gets preturbed.. I can see it in his face man. He goes onto musicians friend, looks on it for a bit, then tells me, they don't sell individual packs on musiciansfriend. I look at him like hes absolutley retarded. Does he think I'm stupid? I'm like... yeah they do man I just checked it yesterday. He looks again, he says, I can't find it anywhere.. so I ask for the manager. The manager comes up and I tell him the situation and he apoligizes to me and gives it to me for the internet price. Doucheasses man I swear.

Tell him the guitar set up is only good for turning the instrument into a bludgeoning insturment, and he's the nearest person at the moment. :lol:

Be sure to ask around for good guitar techs though. They're not easy to find.

Thanks for all the helpful information guys, I greatly appreciate it!

@CantoX: Yikes man, I'm so sorry to hear about your sucktastic story. That seems to be a common thing at these music stores, no?

I think I'm going to take ABQ's advice and just find a local guy. It might take a while, but I'd rather go to someone I trust next time instead of a punk looking for the commission.