Fret buzz question..

viva_360

Jun 3, 2004
www.facebook.com
Hi all, i got this question about fret buzz.. Is it normal to have it all over the guitar neck? I mean how do you acutally get rid of it? Is it because i have my strings to low? I think i have my strings set up to 2.3mm ... and all my three bass strings keep getting fret buzzes ...

Do you guys have fret buzzes? on your guitars?

I already got my tech to set up the truss rod properly ... and the neck is straight ...

I got the Ibanez RG321 ... I know it is a so so guitar ....

It's pretty normal for a new guitar to have some fret buzz. It usually needs to be set up properly. Since I'm not skilled at setting up guitars I usually pay for a professional set-up once I get a new guitar no matter what so that it plays well from the 1st to the last fret with equal action and has the right tonation set for the strings I use.

Raising the action is the best quick-fix for fret buzz. If I'm doing this myself I usually just raise the bridge. This usually means that the action is no longer even throughout the length of the neck though, so at that point you may consider getting a professional set-up if it bothers you.

Edit: If it is buzzing with un-fretted/open strings the nut may need to be raised. I have a friend that once put super glue in the notches and that helped.

Hmm i think my best bet is to take it again to the guitar tech to let him have a look ... but i am still skeptic if he is doing a good job or not to my guitar ....

viva_360 said:
Hmm i think my best bet is to take it again to the guitar tech to let him have a look ... but i am still skeptic if he is doing a good job or not to my guitar ....

Yeah, I hope he knows what he is doing messing with the truss rod...if not he can do some serious damage. :erk:

You might want to ask around (if you know other players in your area) about reputable luthier's in your area as well.

Good luck!

That guitar probably comes with .10-.46 out of the box, but I have a very similar guitar (RG421) and I have used .09s on it without problems. Take your guitar to someone who knows what they're doing.

viva_360 said:
Damn DemonHelm you are scaring me about "he is doing messing with the truss rod...if not he can do some serious damage." .....

Sorry about that. I once let some dude try his hand at it and he fucked it up beyond belief. It was a piece-of-crap BC Rich Bronze series Warlock though, so luckily it wasn't a huge loss.

viva_360 said:
Hi demonhelm could using a light gauge set ... lets say 42-09 .. in standard E anothe reason for fret buzz?

It is possible. Light strings tend to buzz more easily. If it is really buzzing though, heavier strings probably won't change anything. You might have to take it to a professional. Personally, I always budget in a proper guitar set-up when I'm buying a new guitar.

As Erik said, take your guitar to someone who knows what they're doing. A good set-up should last you a long time if you take care of your guitar and is well worth the money, IMO.

You have bad intonation. This can be fixed by adjusting the height of the strings from the fretboard. Since you're a noob, I recommend going straight to a guitar shop (or anyone knowledgeable on the subject) and having them adjust everything for you. Make sure to play it before you pay. Make sure every note rings out clearly without buzzing, and that you are comfortable with the guitar's action.

I've got the same problem with my acoustic guitar and it only buzzes on the 5th fret on the a-string. the height is not adjustable. what shall i do?

I am assuming your guitar has a floyd rose liscensed tremelo???

try raising your action a bit...

shit i dont really feel like explaning this... Just google it..

Thidrek said:
I've got the same problem with my acoustic guitar and it only buzzes on the 5th fret on the a-string. the height is not adjustable. what shall i do?

Try using thinner gauged strings. Try Elixer nanoweb lights.

War_Blade said:
I am assuming your guitar has a floyd rose liscensed tremelo???

try raising your action a bit...

shit i dont really feel like explaning this... Just google it..
The RG321 has a fixed bridge.

viva_360 said:

Great advice. I agree 100%. I think it is great to learn how to do a setup yourself, but buy a cheap guitar and experiment.

Never fool with a fret though. I am a 20 year veteran, but I let Mac (a luthier) do that stuff.

Bryant

Wow alot of replies after my network got mest up. Shit i took it to the shop where i puchased it but they raised the action on the bridge to full and still the fret buzz. I asked in another forum jcfonline.com and someone pointed out that the neck should be a little bent towards the neck to prevent fret buzz also ... IS THIS LOGIC true? As my neck, the truss rod is set dead straight as i ask the tech us set this up for me he's like guitar neck should be dead straight to prevent buzzes. But last time i looked at my string and the neck. For example when i press the Low E on the first fret you could see that the string also kind of nearly touches the 2nd fret which i think is the cause ... any HELP and OPINION on this :erk: