Buzz...

Qoppa

Feb 22, 2007
I just got my F-50 and it buzzes like hell on open strings, or with the first fret. Also, the D and high E strings are crazy out of tune and tinny on the first fret. Raise the nut? Is it easy to do myself, or would it be best to just take it somewhere to get it set up being new and all? I can't find anything else that needs fixing.

2 things to check out.

first, check to see if there is a bow/curve in the neck. that can cause fretbuzz. to fix that you have to take off all the strings, remove the rod cover and use a truss rod key and adjust it the proper way. or just take it to a repair shop. id reccomend that if you have no experience with guitar repair. its really easy to fuck up your neck if you dont know what youre doing.

the second is adjust the bridge height. depending on what kind of bridge you have will make a difference.

or just get rid of that piece of crap. bottom of the line ESPs are terrible. i had one where the fretboard was on crooked.
~gR~

I won't say I told you so, but cheap guitars will have that issue. But...take it to a shop, like GR said. The action may need to be adjusted. Also, you'll still get some buzz, because it's a piece of crap. You'll probably have some buzz on anything under $300.

yeah, take to a shop to have it "set up". the tech will know what it means.

the more i think about it, the more it sounds like a truss rod problem.
~gR~

I did some reading around, asked some more people, and decided it was the truss rod. It buzzes a lot less now and only on the bottom three strings (with A being the worst). I may try adjusting the action at the bridge too... strings seem a bit high now. If I fuck something up, I'll take it in to get set up.