Fret Buzzzzzzz

Silverhaze

Little Piggy Slasher
May 12, 2002
Visit site
I think I mentioned somewhere that I picked up a ESP LTD V350. I wanted a flying V for the collection and it was on clearance, so why not.

Problem is, I have fret buzz on the second frets of the low E and A and third fret on the D. I have the action set sweet - and a trial crank or two on the floyd to raise it didn't correct the buzz. I'm sure I can take the action higher, but that's not really the fix I want to make. I have no experience with Floyds or locking nuts, so I wondered if anybody has a fix for me? Should I just pull the locking nut off and put a shim under it (is it glued on too - or is it only screwed on??) or should I back the truss rod off a quarter turn or so? Or?????

I'd also like to take this opportunity to restate that EMG HZ pickups are crap. Thank you.

First, I'd have a close look to make sure that the 2nd and 3rd frets aren't working their way out of the fretboard. =P Then, I'd go for some truss rod adjustment. It could be as simple as that. If that didn't help much, or if you absolutely want to have the neck at that angle, I'd consider grinding down the frets (VERY SLIGHTLY & CAREFULLY) in the problem spots. =)

Btw, post a pic of the guitar! I can never get enough of the V's! =)

'bane

Thanks 'bane. If the buzz is on the second fret, that means loosen the truss rod, correct?

I've been meaning to put a pic of the axes up. I can probably put it up on my ex band's webpage (I made it!). I'll drop a link when I get around to digging up the cord to my digital camera and snapping some pics.

Silverhaze said:
Thanks 'bane. If the buzz is on the second fret, that means loosen the truss rod, correct?
I would think so, but do play around with it a bit, only adjusting it an 8th of a turn at a time and then let it settle for 15 minutes or so. Tune up between each adjustment. If you get an undesirable feel in the neck, you can always adjust it back (put a mark on the truss-rod nut and keep track of how far you've gone).

Technically, loosening the rod should give the neck a little bit more bow. I think this is how most necks are constructed.

'bane

Maybe you should have someone take a look at your fretboard, may not be completely even. ESP and Ibanez have that problem sometimes.

yeah.. if its bad just take it to a tech, ask him whats wrong, let him show you how to fix it.. it'll probably cost around $30, but from then on you'll know how to fix it :)

Also keep in mind that if you try to fix it, everything you do can be reversed. So don't be afraid to try and set it up for yourself. Its just that taking it to a tech usually helps save time and you learn some valuable stuff.