Buzzing frets.

Xaedon

New Metal Member
Mar 28, 2008
Hi!

I bought an Ibanez rg321 last summer as my first guitar and I've had some problems(?) with it. The problem is when i fret the low E string while playing it's buzzing. The first fret is the worst and the buzzing gets lesser and lesser towards the 24th fret. I can also hear a faint buzzing on the first fret A string. I've always had this problem, but in the beginning I didn't really care about it since it wasn't as bad from the start as it's now.

I started to really notice it yesterday when I changed strings for the first time. I bought a pack of "D'Addario XL Round Wound" 0.009"-0.042". I strung the guitar, tuned it, stretched the strings, retuned it and bam. When I started to play i noticed that the buzzing was even worse than with the old strings. I got a little sad and thought that it maybe would take some time for the strings to adjust. But now, a couple of playing hours later it's still the same buzz, and it's really annoying.

So I went to the local music store today to ask them what the problem could be. He played the guitar for like 20 seconds and then told me that a electric guitar can be like this unless it breaks the sound through the amp, which it doesn't for me. All he could do to take away the buzzing is to increase the action, which he recommended me not to do. I left the store happy and started to play some. And I realised the buzzing annoyed me so much that it wasn't fun to play. I did some research on the internet and there were nowhere to be found that it's normal for electric guitars to buzz. Obviosly, this made me really worried about what the guy at the store told me. Can I really trust him?

He also said that my neck was fine and in good shape. But when i look on the neck from the side, the string height is higher on the 24th fret than on the 1th fret. Is this normal? I also figured it could be the string size. As I said I bought gauge 9. Maybe the original was size 10, and therefor not buzzing as much (read somewhere that bigger strings don't buzz as easily as samll strings).

To make a long story short. Is it normal with fret buzz, as long as it doesn't mess the sound? Is there anything I could do about it except from increasing the action (which is too high already )?

Sorry for such a long post but maybe it shows the dedication about this matter. Since Im playing for fun, and I don't find it fun to always here a buzzing sound when Im playing on low volumes.

Would really appreciate some serious answers.

Thanks in advance!

Okaay, it's possible you're fretting it wrong.
It's not normal for it to buzz. Your action may be fucked up. A little buzz is okay, but if it's doing it a lot, something is definitely wrong. This can be a problem with cheaper guitars.
Try playing with other guitars, at the same price range, above, and below, to see if the problem is you.

it is normal to have a little fret buzz on cheaper guitars, some worse than others. BUT i guarantee you if you take the guitar to a good tech he will get it in good shape.

p.s dont just take it anywhere ask around your are and get someone good, it took me years to find my guy, and at 80 bucks a setup hes not cheap...but hes amazing.

this totally sounds like a truss rod problem. and larger guage strings helping fix the problem totally makes sense for a trus rod porblem.

heres the deal. the strings create a certain amount of tension on the neck. the thicker the strings, the more tension. thats why they put in truss rods, to help control it. all you have to do is take it in and have someone adjust the truss rod. if no one wants to mess with it (and seriously, its so easy, there is no excuse), then do it yourself. buy a set of allen wrenches and a small phillips head screw driver, take off the little plastic plate on the headstock (after looseing/removing the strings) and insert the proper wrench and adjust it accordingly. remember to go SLOW! and i cant stress that enough. you dont wanna risk cracking the neck.

another option is to buy some 11's! like i said before. thicker strings creat more tension. and since it sounds like your neck has a back bow, more tension would do the trick.

dont live with a poor set up. treat your axe like your baby. take care of it and it will take care of you. *insert another cheesy line*
~gR~

But when i look on the neck from the side, the string height is higher on the 24th fret than on the 1th fret.
Means it's probably not a backbow issue (and yes, that is the way it's supposed to be). Either way, it's easy to find out if it is; fret it at the first fret and last fret simultaneously. There should be a just barely visible gap at fret 8. If there is no gap, loosen the truss rod; if the gap is more than just barely visible, tighten it.

Also, Ibanez guitars are originally strung with D'addario XL 09s, so that's not the issue.

In all probability, it's a technique issue. Pick with less force, make sure that you push the string down right next to the fret, and push down a bit harder. Also, make sure that the neck isn't twisted (although, I doubt that's the issue).

And yes, it is normal for an electric to have a bit of buzz. When running it through distortion, it should be almost inaudible.

You have many things going on

lower line guitar = quick unchecked/unfinished fret job
truss rod adjustment = others went over this
the guitar probably has a immitation Floyd Rose set up? = fine if its set up
guitar store you took it too? = you talked to a moron, seek qualified people, if someone starts telling you anything resembling that BS, kindly ask them if there is someone else available that might actually know what they are talking about.....

my main guitar a mid level guitar buzzs slightly if I pick too hard and I have a few fret areas that really need some more personal attention but to have buzzing at the lower frets is a serious issue. Your guitar needs a complete tune up and that includes everything I mentioned

a few other thoughts on this lower fret buzzing

1. first check that your pups are not adjusted to high, hitting the strings
2. it is possible you have a nut that is too deeply seated or deeply cut... but this cancels as soon as you fret a string. Open strings should never buzz unless you have part of your finger on adjacent string touching the other string, which is a technique problem.

And yes, it is normal for an electric to have a bit of buzz. When running it through distortion, it should be almost inaudible.

not really. its only "normal" because people dont have their guitars properly set up. every guitar you buy needs to be set up, even if it is just fine tuning.

also, if you move from one climate to another, like i have done in the past, they need to be set up again.
~gR~

not really. its only "normal" because people dont have their guitars properly set up. every guitar you buy needs to be set up, even if it is just fine tuning.

also, if you move from one climate to another, like i have done in the past, they need to be set up again.
~gR~

Well, some set their guitars up quite well but still retain a little buzzing as a result of lowering the action. Even when done just right this can still create some fret buzz.

The action was way too high (imo) as it was the original height. Anyway, I turned in the guitar yesterday to let them set it up. Let's hope it makes some difference.

Thanks for the answers.

Like Genocide Roach said, Its just a truss rod problem.
And buzzing isn't normal at all, not even a little. I had this problem with a shit B.C. Rich bronze series that i got as a gift. The only thing you have to do is loosen the 3rd and 4th strings, take the plate off and adjust the rod depending on the problem it has. If you don't have a floating bridge its damn easy to do. If its otherwise you may have to adjust the bridge , the screws on the back and/or the springs and that, is a real pain in the ass most first times.

i have the same problen with a brand new esp eclipse the action is way too high and she still has fret buzz.and its about 4 mills high at the 12th fret.