Drop C intonation and buzzing problem.

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
So i am not that experienced with guitar repair so it would be awesome if you guys could help me out. so i have a schecter c1 hellraiser special. when i got it i put it into drop c and it sounded fine. i bought heavier guage strings but i decided not to put them on cause i have tendonitis in both wrists ands its hard for me to press them down (and the normal strings sounded fine). but after a while it started buzzing. so i raised my action and redid my intonation and it was fine.

it started buzzing again but raising the action doesnt help. it is buzzing pretty evenly on the first 5 frets or so. the string is almost touching the fretboard down there (without holding anything down). but up towards the 12th fret the string is pretty far off the fretboard. i assume i need to adjust the truss rod but im scared to do this and i dont have the right allen key. so i would need to buy it. any ideas on how to fix the buzzing?

My band tunes to Drop C and lately I've noticed both guitars AND bass have started buzzing. Probably due to weather change and they all need to be adjusted.

Try a set of 12s but use a D bass string for the drop C.
This has always worked great for me when recording for B or C.
Good tension, good intonation and stable tuning.

Try a set of 12s but use a D bass string for the drop C.
This has always worked great for me when recording for B or C.
Good tension, good intonation and stable tuning.

Tempted to try that, but is the ball fitting the ferrule/block nicely? Always having tension problems on my guitars with a 60 down to drop B

Sorry for hijacking the thread :kickass:

I've been sticking with .10-.46 in Drop C. Apparently that is too light.

Once tracked in Drop C on an LTD Viper with some set of .13s. THAT was a little rough compared to what I'm used to.....But felt soooooo stable.

I can't even imagine that :lol:

10-52 is what I use in D standard.

In a band I was in, we were in that tuning, 13-64 for 24'75 guitars, and 12-60 for 25'5.

Mostly playing rhythm guitar, never got tuning problems, and felt really good.

Now I'm in drop B and stick to 12-60, my prs ce feels really loose but the ibanez feels good tuning wise.

In a band I was in, we were in that tuning, 13-64 for 24'75 guitars, and 12-60 for 25'5.

Mostly playing rhythm guitar, never got tuning problems, and felt really good.

Now I'm in drop B and stick to 12-60, my prs ce feels really loose but the ibanez feels good tuning wise.

TBH I don't even know how that could work, I would imagine tuning that high with 13-64 would make the strings snap, but I've never gone that far. I've gone 12-60 in C# and the strings were way to tight.

Mmmm there are jazz players using 13's for standard tuning. And acoustics.

I use the 11-56 set I mentioned above for standard, just i've started playing in d standard again and happen to have a metric fucktonne of those strings lying around :lol:

I thought 13's were the standard for acoustics?

Sorry I haven't replied in a bit. I spent the last few nights recapping and cleaning up an old Pioneer tuner, fixing my guitar, and writing with my band for a split and an EP we have coming up. Two quarter turns on the truss rod seemed to do the trick. the action is a bit high on the higher frets but since the string gauge is light it doesnt bother me too much. Having high action isnt bad for the guitar or the wood or anything is it?

I originally got some 10-52s but i have fairly bad tendonitis in both my wrists so I cant even play heavy strings without wincing and having to stop after a bit.