Guitar setup opinions

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
So I did a setup for my other guitarist. He has a Charvel Desolation DS1 ST. I set it up close to factory spec, and at first it felt awesome and sounded awesome, but after a day or so its really started buzzing. I'm hesitant to change anything cause it feels so good to play (and I dont feel like redoing the intonation), but should I go to change the action first?

Or could it be the truss rod? The relief at the 8th fret i put at about .010''. Is that an ok relief for a 52 gauge in drop c?

I hope whoever filed the nut to fit the heavier gauge strings did an ok job. Cause thats out of my league.

If it started buzzing after one day, then a truss rod adjustment is the key. Specially if you said that it felt and sounded great and supposing zero buzzing. One thing that im missing here in order to provide more help is the exact location of the buzzing. lower frets, higher frets or just one in particular ?

If the buzzing starts at the second fret, the nut is fine. Remember, when you press down on the fret, only the part of the string between the bridge and the fret vibrates. A bad nut buzzes with an open string.

The amount of relief should be fine, but wood lives its own life, so better double check. If the buzzing continues all the way up from the second fret, you've probably got a problem with either the neck relief and need to loosen the truss rod a bit more, or a bridge height issue where raising the bridge is in order.

Remember to set the intonation again after you get rid of the buzzing. I understand it can be a nuisance, but once you get a grab of it, a basic setup on a tune-o-matic guitar shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes tops.

Does it buzz only unplugged? If so, no problem. Yes you need to set the height before you intonate. Otherwise you will need to start over again.

Thanks so much for the replies! Can't wait to try it out and try to get it right. It does buzz when plugged in. Pretty noticeably. It is actually a 25.5 scale guitar, but yea it is a bit thin. I use 10-52 on my guitar and thats a 24.75. I started using em cause I have tendonitis in both wrists, so I could play without pain, but I ended up liking how it sounded and getting used to the feel. I have my guitar setup really nice with the thinner strings. The action is a bit higher but the loose strings make up for it, and there really isn't much buzz at all. I did set this guitar up lower though.