Did i just nail this Joey Sturgis Tone? Pod Patch soon!

Sep 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys. Im doing a cover of purified by of mice and men. I think everything sounds just about right. The only think is i need to re-shape the snare sound and my drums need to hit a TINY but harder and be more present in the mix.

Drums are a mixture of steven slate and random samples i found on here.
bass is UAD Nigel (Bassmon and Gemini Blend)
Guitars are Pod Farm (with quite a lot of post processing)
Cymbals are the Joey Sturgis Emerald Cymbals.

I think i need to make the bass fit better. This is just a rough mix so that you sneapsters can critique it for me and give me some tips on nailing this cover.

let me know what you guys think.:wave:

sorry for the short clip, and excuse the edit error on the guitars in the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool bass tone !!
For the snare try maybe a transient designer ?
Your pod tone is great and sonically not really far from the original, great job !!
What's your processing ?

I have plenty of transient designer on the snare (dominion) but whenever I add some attack, it gets really dark (it sounds like I cranked 200hz)

And the guitars have quite a bit of post processing. Basically it's Cali diamond plate, with 2 impulses running. Awesome 3 and Awesome 4 (catharsis). Then I edit each guitar track with eq's before the impulse loader, then I send that to a bus with pod farm's "console Preamp EQ" loaded with both buttons pressed and then it eq's and limiters after. Pretty much it.

And yeah I know the guitars are a little out of tune. I need new strings :/ so they constantly go out of tune. Thanks for the feedback Guys! Keep it coming!!!

Thanks Jeff. Always appreciate the constructive criticism. I know exactly what u mean and I was gonna fix it but I'm not at my setup right now. I know it's far from joeys mix, but what about the mix in general? Can u critique that?

dont listen to jeff. he deosn't critique he just tells people their work is shitty. must have daddy issues or something. nice tone but ya, get some new strings bro.

dont listen to jeff. he deosn't critique he just tells people their work is shitty. must have daddy issues or something. nice tone but ya, get some new strings bro.

Jeff can be harsh sometimes, but he's on point here IMO.

Firstly, why would you WANT a joey sturgis tone? I mean, what you've got here just sounds like...pod farm. it has that weirdness in the tone thats bornerline impossible to get rid of. in the long run, buying a nice tube head and a decent cab will get take you much further. I'd suggest bugera if you're on a budget. I mean, you can even skimp out on the cab a just buy the head if you use impulses, then you dont have to worry about making your room sound perfect.

but if you really want to improve the pod farm tone, bring the lo pass down to 8k and add some more sustain somehow.

Jeff can be harsh sometimes, but he's on point here IMO.

Firstly, why would you WANT a joey sturgis tone? I mean, what you've got here just sounds like...pod farm. it has that weirdness in the tone thats bornerline impossible to get rid of. in the long run, buying a nice tube head and a decent cab will get take you much further. I'd suggest bugera if you're on a budget. I mean, you can even skimp out on the cab a just buy the head if you use impulses, then you dont have to worry about making your room sound perfect.

but if you really want to improve the pod farm tone, bring the lo pass down to 8k and add some more sustain somehow.

Well the only reason I want the Joey sturgis tone, is because I NEED it for this mix! When I'm recording bands or making my own music, pod farm is usually a second choice.

The bass grit and splash (?) are masking each other slightly and the hats and splash are pretty damn loud in general, also have you panned the reverb of the splash hard left? It sounds odd, just sayin'.

The bass grit and splash (?) are masking each other slightly and the hats and splash are pretty damn loud in general, also have you panned the reverb of the splash hard left? It sounds odd, just sayin'.

U mean the china? All the cymbals are Joey sturgis samples. But I'm just trying to imitate the original song (because I'm doing a cover). And I'm not just doing a cover of all the instruments, it's mainly for a vocal cover. So I'm trying to emulate the song so it's exact. But technically it's almost impossible for me to do that considering my gear setup.