Did i kill my guitar?

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Im in need of some serious halp. So last night i bought new strings. I took my guitar apart, cleaned down the fretboard with some lemon oil based wood treater and cleaned all my hardware and pickups with a multi purpose metal polished/cleaner (used for aluminum, brass, copper, steel etc). I also took the pickguard off and cleaned that. I have a Epiphone Explorer

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518454

So today when i plugged in to my pocket pod today i noticed something..... i have no GAIN! when i pull my cable out it makes the fuzzy distorty feedback noise so i know im pumping gain through there, but the moment i plug it in, the sound becomes clean. I can here the distortion in the background VERY quietly. At first i though maybe it was cause i cleaned my pickups with that polish, but wouldnt the pickups not work at all if i broke them from that? Im not a newb so you dont have to ask, is the gain knob up? Is it on?

Please help i cant live without playing my guitar =(

The epiphone inputs aren't good quality and have a tendency to break real easy i've noticed. Try changing it, they're cheap and its only two or three soldering depending on your pickups

well i left it at my local guitar place last friday, picked it up today, stilll doesnt work. The guy there said it might be the pots but and i quote,"Its all guess work, theres no real way for me to tell which one it may be." Now to me, that doesnt sound too logical. Any thoughts?

well i left it at my local guitar place last friday, picked it up today, stilll doesnt work. The guy there said it might be the pots but and i quote,"Its all guess work, theres no real way for me to tell which one it may be." Now to me, that doesnt sound too logical. Any thoughts?

So just because he isn't sure which pot it might be he didn't do anything?
Seems he mainly consists of large doses of fail? :Smug:

Just check all soldering connections, maybe redo them...
I can't imagine anything wrong except some bad connections...