So I just ordered my 1st guitar...

Congrats! good stuff for a good start, now, get used to the pain in your fingers and if they start bleeding, just becareful they don't bleed TOO MUCH. (because you'll fuck up the strings)

:kickass:

i started with something like this:

image002.jpg

:D

fuck yeah:kickass:

congrats man

I started with a shit guitar, and the shitiest amp EVER.
It was so noisy that i didn't know what to do to get a clear sound.
That fucked up with my technique and all.
It's always good to start with descent gear.

I have a $50 gift card to amazon so I'm trying to figure out what else I would need... I got the guitar, pedal, case, stand, cables, strap, picks, extra strings... perhaps I will buy a good lesson DVD or a cleaning kit or something.

Are you going to be using a real amp or are you going to go the digital route w/ sims and IRs?

No personal experiences from the Digitech pedal in question, but I would return it and buy a small practice amp instead if you don't have one already. Or keep it and buy the small practice amp, like Peavey Vyper (I think they are like 100 bucks or so). The reason is that the guitar behaves totally differently with a real amp compared to when you play with just headphones and you need a different feel to play. You don't get the guitar resonance or feedback, so you have to learn to play "differently" touch wise and if/when you get on stage some day, you then have to learn it again.

I have a $50 gift card to amazon so I'm trying to figure out what else I would need... I got the guitar, pedal, case, stand, cables, strap, picks, extra strings... perhaps I will buy a good lesson DVD or a cleaning kit or something.

a good TUNER!!!

No personal experiences from the Digitech pedal in question, but I would return it and buy a small practice amp instead if you don't have one already. Or keep it and buy the small practice amp, like Peavey Vyper (I think they are like 100 bucks or so). The reason is that the guitar behaves totally differently with a real amp compared to when you play with just headphones and you need a different feel to play. You don't get the guitar resonance or feedback, so you have to learn to play "differently" touch wise and if/when you get on stage some day, you then have to learn it again.

Well the thing is, I live in a small apartment and I don't think the neighbors would like me playing at 9pm when I get home from work. So unfortunately I am stuck with the headphones. I hope that doesn't screw me over too much. Is there a type of small amp out there that will allow me to listen to it through headphones and still have the same "feel" as an amp?

Well the thing is, I live in a small apartment and I don't think the neighbors would like me playing at 9pm when I get home from work. So unfortunately I am stuck with the headphones. I hope that doesn't screw me over too much. Is there a type of small amp out there that will allow me to listen to it through headphones and still have the same "feel" as an amp?

Vypyr has a headphone output. You should go test it out at guitar center or somewhere.

2997521_800.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908

So playing with my multi effects pedal through this with headphones would sound alot better than just playing through the pedal? I don't mind dropping the money on it...just wondering if it is a huge difference in sound and feel.

I would just stick with what you have at the moment, as you are just starting out this setup will be fine.
I've been playing for over 20years now and I still use headphones when I practice, so not to annoy the public with my repetitive scales.

A tutorial DVD as you mentioned would be a good investment. But get a beginners course and not the "learn to play in a day.. fast... like Van Halen.. etc etc etc"
I've just bought some e-drums so I'm in a similar situation :)
Good luck and have fun

You are starting out at a good time there's a place called youtube more than enough guitar learning videos on there everything to scales to drop tuning, picking ect

I have a tiny Roland Cube 15X. It's pretty kewl because of the "power squeezer" feature which lets you play at low volumes with nice tone. You could also try the Microcube... Just a thought.

Normally I lurk forever, but about 11 mo ago I too got my first guitar so I feel like I should chime in. I also had a start with music - about 7 years of very casual experience making electronic stuff in trackers and DAWs. Decided since I like metal a lot, I should try guitar. So far it has been totally awesome, and I hope it turns out similarly awesome for you.

For gear, I picked up a cheap, chinese made LTD for $400 and a Line 6 UX1. After I figured out the basics, I discovered they sounded way better than I expected, and to this day I'm still happy with the pair. And the guitar is very pointy and black so it's super inspiring and I adore it despite it's cheapness. I wouldn't lick the paint though.

I also live in an apartment and have some very nice, quiet neighbors who seem to be home almost all the time, so I almost always practice on (monitor) headphones. I've also played on a friend's Marshall half-stack at loud volumes. They certainly don't sound the same, but I didn't feel like my technique needed any adjustment. If I were practicing for a serious live show, I would not trust using such a different setup from the live setup, but that's a different story.

Also, youtube is awesome. That Justin Sandercoe guy has a ton of technique-focused videos that I only sort of skimmed, but I still learned a lot from them. I also skimmed through Paul Gilbert's instructional videos and recordings from clinics he's done, also very informative. And there's tons of other stuff like that on there. youtube even has lots of concert videos to get you in the mood to practice :)