Difference between Themes and Perdition

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Okay - about two months ago, I asked at The End Records site which 'electronic' stuff is the best starting point for Ulver. I told them I'm a huge fan of Bergtatt and Kveldssanger, but not overly interested in blast-beat oriented electronics. I was recommended Perdition City by most, so I ordered it. I spun it 30+ times and while I think it's great, I may need more time to digest it. In the meantime I ordered Themes of William Blake and received it two days ago from The End. I've been listening to it since and it clicked immediately! Now I'm wondering: did I get into it so quickly cause now I'm acquanted with Ulver's new direction or is Themes really a better disc to get into their new style? I find Themes to be less ambient and spooky, while Perdition has these drawn-out compositions loaded with uktra-ambience... well, does anyone see what I'm talking about?

At any rate, Themes rules! I have more questions about the album though. The liner notes don't say much. So who's singing on which track? It shows the plate numbers but for the life of me I can't figure out which plate is what track! Any help?

talking about one certain "new style" isn't really true, in my opinion.. sure, they made a bunch of not-to-far-apart black metal albums in their beginning, but their newer albums aren't exactly in one single style.. to me, Perdition City is pretty damn far away from Themes.. and Metamorphosis isn't exactly Lyckantropen.

Themes still has some metal elements, might've made the transition easier. Or listening to Perdition City a bunch of times first certainly would've helped. I recommend picking up a proper copy of The Marriage of Heaven and Hell so you can look at the plates while listening to the music and reading the words. You can get it for just a few bucks most bookstores. Also, William Blake rules. :)

I generally differentiate between "new Ulver" and "old Ulver" but seriously, each album so far has been so distinct that that isn't fair at all.

One Inch Man said:
You can get it for just a few bucks most bookstores. Also, William Blake rules. :)

I've never seen an Ulver album at a bookstore. Unless you're talking about William Blake...in that case, pick up all of his works, but namely Songs of Innocence & Experience and The Marriage of Heaven & hell.

Yeah I meant the actual books, not Ulver. :D But amazon.com and bn.com do carry Ulver albums!