Different amounts of gain on one song?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Just wondering , does anyone else ever use different amounts of gain for different parts of songs? For instance on crunchy rhythm chuggas I like a low amount of gain so it really sounds crisp, but that same low gain will sound weird when a single note run comes in. So I was just wondering if anyone else has done this , or do you just find the best compromise between chugs and single notes?

P.S. Didn't mean to double post this topic , I realized the subject line was spelled wrong and went back to fix it , didn't think it would post twice...

Sure, nothing wrong with using different amounts of gain.
You do what you need to, in order to make it sound good

In a recording contaxt it might be a bit easier, but for live playing I wouldn't bother if you were going to need a shitload of different sounds.

If you were primarily a rhythm player, you could get away with the two channels on a dual rectifier really easily, but if you play leads like me, you usually have one setup for rhythms and another for leads, and they are usually drastically different sounds that can't cross-over to different applications - at least in my experience and the way I play.