Digi 001 preamps

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
I'm using the Digi 001 for my recordings and have not had experience with any other preamps. How does it rate compared to others? What instruments are most likely to sound better with better preamps. Should I be able to get a good sound out of it? If not, what are some affordable suggestions?

I am asking all this just to see if I can blame any bad work I do on the 001. J/k...thanks for any help!

btw Yassou Greece!!! me and my Greek friends went nuts today watching the Euro finals on pay per view here in the States.

Genius Gone Insane said:
btw Yassou Greece!!! me and my Greek friends went nuts today watching the Euro finals on pay per view here in the States.

Good for you ! Knock yourself out !

just kidding

ELLAS!!!!!
We are the VICTORS!!!!! :hotjump:

Haven't used Digi 001 preamps personally, but I could definitely tell you that the Presonus MP20 is a great mic pre and DI (2 channels) for it's price. Definitely kicks the mic pre's on any standard mixer...

The digi 001 preamps are cheap, but ok sounding. There is a lot of talk about high dollar preamps, but if you can't get recordings to sound 'right' through mediocre pre amps then a Neve or Avalon isn't going to help you. So basically, the digi 001 pre's are on a 'mackie' level-- budget but certainly useable unless you're cutting high dollar records. As far as good budget outpboard pre's, the RNP by FMR is super transparent sounding pair for not much money. Also, I too have been pretty happy with my presonus preamps.

In other words if I'm not signed, then it shouldn't matter...

btw Wavebreaker, I heard you guys were going NUTS up there in canada...I heard Toronto had like 100,000 people out after the victory...tight!!! My buddy is in athens working for the olympic committee and he's still partying!

Genius Gone Insane said:
In other words if I'm not signed, then it shouldn't matter...

btw Wavebreaker, I heard you guys were going NUTS up there in canada...I heard Toronto had like 100,000 people out after the victory...tight!!! My buddy is in athens working for the olympic committee and he's still partying!

It was crazy everywhere! The last two days it seems like every second person in Montreal is Greek, it's just a sea of flags, honking, and drunk people yelling things out in greek. My girlfriend is in Athens as well and she couldn't believe how intense the celebrations are :headbang:

Hey I was wondering what kind of mic pre-amps you use when tracking heavy rhythm guitars. I know most of us use SM57s, MD421 or 441s, and the like, but I've never heard mention of preamps in this respect... What tends to give you the most... pleasant rtm guitar sound? Do you prefer "transparency" or "coloration"?
I have a couple of Ibanez and LTD 7-strings running through a Line 6 Flextone II HD (Line 6 4x12 cab, Celestion Customs), SM 57 into the Presonus MP20.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Hey Egan, when we gonna get some Daylight Dies news? I'm itching for some new shit from you guys. :D
Well, the material for another record is basically done, but we have to work out the logistics of recording and releasing with the label. Needless to say we are anxious to get new shit out and are trying to step up the production quite a bit.

We should probably move this to the dd forum, but the two that we've solidified all the lyrics for are called "Unpsoken" and "All We Had." We actually played both of them last month when we opened for katatonia.