digi002 vs. M-Box 2

sixxhundredand66

New Metal Member
Mar 22, 2009
yea so i'm new to this whole thing, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to what makes the digi002 a better piece of equipment. I got a friend who is willing to sell me his old one for $450, is that a good deal? or would it be worth it to save a little cash and go with an M-box?

The DIGI 002 offers you a maximum of 18 in's: 4 micpre',s an extra 4 through inputs and an additional 8 through adat + 2 S/PDIF. So if you want to record drums in the future thats the way to go. Although the Digi 002 only works with PT (atleast for me)

if you are just gonna record guitar/vox then the Mbox 2 Pro is a good alternative, it works with other DAW's, and i never had a problem with mine.

Cheers

I don't intend on recording drums any time in the near future. Does that make it unneccessary to buy the 002 as opposed to the mbox? I guess my real question is, is the number of in's the only benefit of buying the 002?

ok well my friend is gonna sell me the 002 with pro tools 6.9, so i would be needing to get an upgrade. the m-box 2 with with PT 8 is going for $350 on ebay. Soooo now my question, $450 for the 002 with PT 6.9, go with it or not. And I apologize for being annoying, you guys are much more helpful than those pieces of shit on gearslutz.

You can always upgrade the software eventually. However, if you feel like you'll need more than two inputs eventually, then the mbox will be worthless to you.

I own a digi 002 with protools 7 software, but I've used 6.9 before in profesional recording studios. Pro tools does have a little bit of a learning curve, so if you are just starting out then 6.9 will have more than enough features for you needs. Pro tools 8 has elastic audio, which is supposed to be their great new feature, but I've heard mixed opinions on how well that actually works.

Also, the mbox and 002 preamps are nothing that special. But with the 002, there are people that modify the preamps, converters, clock, power suply, etc. so you could eventually get that upgraded and get top notch audio quality.

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/Modifications/Digi+002R

You can always upgrade the software eventually. However, if you feel like you'll need more than two inputs eventually, then the mbox will be worthless to you.

I own a digi 002 with protools 7 software, but I've used 6.9 before in profesional recording studios. Pro tools does have a little bit of a learning curve, so if you are just starting out then 6.9 will have more than enough features for you needs. Pro tools 8 has elastic audio, which is supposed to be their great new feature, but I've heard mixed opinions on how well that actually works.

Mbox 2 pro can have up to 6 inputs, with a convertor and 4 extra preamps. and it's not just protools 8 that has elastic audio. im using 7.4 HD at work (and 8 LE at home) and both have elastic audio. also, im pretty sure the main problem people are having with elastic audio (that ive read about anyway) is that when you render your adjustments they are out of whack (in the same randomized way that sound replacer and beat detective are). if you bus your elastic audio'd tracks to new tracks and record them without rendering them the edits are fine.

002 for the Win!
Also Firewire can beat anytime USB so, that's one powerfull reason to gor it!
003+ rack user here!

Just go for that killer deal, and upgrade to PT 8 (buy a license in ebay or something)
DO IT!!!

Cheers!