Digital Performer 5 vs Cubase SX 3

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
I've had my mind set on a Digi 002 Rack for some time, but slowly I might be moving elsewhere..
I've got a Motu 1224 (PCI 324) on my computer with a licensed Audiodesk (not using).
I'm using Cubase SX 1. something (cracked) on Mac OS X.
I just need more tracks to record with, I just got my Octopre LE and ordered a lightpipe adapter which comes seperate. NOw the 1224 doesn't accept lightpipe so I was thinking of expanding with a 2nd hand 2408MK1 or 2 which do accept lightpipe and work together with 1224 for the need of extra channels.
But then the most important thing is the software I'm running..
I can get a update from my Audiodesk for 395$ of the MOTU site to DP5...which comes to 330-350 euro.
A new version of Cubase SX3 comes to 650 euro...
So pricewise DP5 would be a better choice, but I've actually never worked in it and I am curious if it hard to switch between Cubase and DP5 and what your thoughts are on the way to go..

Razorjack said:
DP5 without a doubt, Cubase is a toy compared (and that's 5yrs experience of Cubase talking).

If you don't mind me asking and have the time to reply, could you give your motivation as to why DP is so much better? I know Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Pro Tools... but never used or even saw DP so I'm curious!

Razorjack said:
DP5 without a doubt, Cubase is a toy compared (and that's 5yrs experience of Cubase talking).

Really? I have a lot of respect for Cubase, but not a whole lot of experience with it. I love DP5 and will probably never switch to anything else, but I've always felt that Cubase is a really innovative, great program from what I've seen.

Kazrog said:
Really? I have a lot of respect for Cubase, but not a whole lot of experience with it. I love DP5 and will probably never switch to anything else, but I've always felt that Cubase is a really innovative, great program from what I've seen.

In my experience Cubase just cannot be relied on for any serious projects and the price is just stupid.

Well, in my short experince of DP (we're talking months here, not years) cubase kills in stability, but keep in mind that I'm new to mac too, I've done a bunch of things wrong that put out bad peformance. But still I'm sticking with DP because... *drum roll* ... time measure. It's a BIG pain the ass to handle and see it in Cubase compared to DP. Moving a section of this time signature to that measure number is/was a pain in Cubase, but in DP it's all clearly.

Keep in mind that I got lousy performance in DP due to a too small buffer size, but increasing it made it much better! but still, channelstrip won't work (can't bounce, could be ram (1gb)).

But hey, anyway, any complaints about this post is purely restricted to me being drunk and/or me being a new mac-user (never even used a mac before).