Dilemma with a Mesa Dual Rec, Maxon OD808/Fulltone OCD, and JCM800 Cab.. Help..

GreyWolf

Fenrisulfr
May 2, 2009
Kentucky
Basically I've been trying to tweak my tone from day 1.. and I'm finally recording and trying to get a really punchy tone.. I've been taking suggestions from everyone.. but the problem I think is the fact that I'm using a cab with Celestion G12T75s..

I can't get any cut through idk what else I can do..

I've tried using a new overdrive.. a maxon 808.. and I also tried using my BBE sonic Maximizer 482i like someone suggested to me.. yet it made my tone sound TOTALLY scooped..

I may just have to save up money and get a cab with V30s or something.. but my sound is not as full as I would like on recording. and it definately does not have enough cut through to push through the mix.

Any other setting suggestions from you mesa users to help?

I'm also using EMGs.. which I'm guessing are NOTORIOUS for scooping your tone just a bit more?

Any help is much appreciated..

ALSO any tips on mic placement?? been using my top left speaker to reduce bass.. and it's a slanted cab.. SM57 mic.

There's no reason you can't get a good tone out of a GT-12T75 cab. Those speakers should cut more than anything.

Rectifier 2nd channel Modern.

Clockface settings: Gain 2:00, Bass 9:30, Middle 9:00, Treble 11:30, Presence 1:30, Volume 9:30

Maxon in front, Gain 8:00, Tone 12:00, Level 12:00

Mic THE BEST SOUNDING SPEAKER (don't worry about position or that crap, if it sounds best, it is best) between the dustcap and cone (the crease).

Double track. HP @ 80

You should have beast tone.

I tried the Maxon 808 and it sounded way too.. idk.. bassy and drained compared to the OCD.

I'm trying to get a really good mid range punch to my sound for recording.. similar to As I lay Dyings "Confined"

You can hear the really powerful low end mixed with crunch during all the galloping.. which is mainly what I'm trying to aim for.. I figured the EMGs on the 2nd channel.. with similar settings that you mentioned above.. with more mids added in.. would help a little.. I'm still probably lacking in the placement of the SM57 for micing. I tried my friends suggestion of angling the mic rather than go straight towards the speaker.. and of course it should be aimed more towards the crease.

I just figured since the G12-T75s are more scoopy sounding.. I wouldn't exactly get the tone I wanted.

Yeah i also dont think your problem is the speakers.

What could cut ur mix like butter is an OD820.Much brighter than my 808 imo

I tried the Maxon 808 and it sounded way too.. idk.. bassy and drained compared to the OCD.

I'm trying to get a really good mid range punch to my sound for recording.. similar to As I lay Dyings "Confined"

You can hear the really powerful low end mixed with crunch during all the galloping.. which is mainly what I'm trying to aim for.. I figured the EMGs on the 2nd channel.. with similar settings that you mentioned above.. with more mids added in.. would help a little.. I'm still probably lacking in the placement of the SM57 for micing. I tried my friends suggestion of angling the mic rather than go straight towards the speaker.. and of course it should be aimed more towards the crease.

I just figured since the G12-T75s are more scoopy sounding.. I wouldn't exactly get the tone I wanted.

yeah that album was done with the krank!!

Makes sense.. I figured something else could be added in to make the mix a bit different.

As for the comment with the amplifier having one setting.. I've tried multiple mate.. As I have taken in account for others settings via Rate My Tones and helpful equipment threads.

I'll probably try working with different Preamps to help as well.. Running a 57 into just a MOTU 8Pre straight to reaper is getting decent results.. but I'll A/B it to other pres I have around.

SM57 is pretty much the mic and the way to go though from what I've read/seen.. Unless anyone has some other alternatives to yield better results?

DEFINITELY don't expect the preamp to make anything more than the slightest of difference Jared, that's the road to frustration - the issue definitely lies with some part of your rig; I don't know about all the Maxons and such, but my understanding from Jeff's Tube Screamer FAQ is that they all sound pretty damn similar, especially when being used simply as a filter for the lows and without adding much distortion/level like we do around here (what settings were you using, btw?). That said, I've had great results with my TS7, and it's cheaper, so... :loco:

Anyway, I can't say much about the cab cuz I've never really played a 1960, but Nevermore's "Dead Heart in a Dead World" is a Dual Rec (2 channel, but still) through a 1960, so it can't be all bad! Settings wise, Greg's look good, though after MUCH experimentation I personally have settled on Treb. 11:30, Mid 10:00, Bass 10:30, Presence 12:00, and gain to taste! (and on Diode Rectifiers and Bold, naturally) And this would be on the orange channel, modern mode on your 3 ch., or if you were to use the red channel in modern, drop the presence down to 9:00 or so (according to the manual, they're identical channels except for the presence knob). But yeah, get yourself a Recto cab and never look back brodawg!

And yeah, the 57 is the shit too, don't mess with success - really, get the sound right at the source, that's the best solution I've found! (whether it be a new pedal, cab, pickups, and/or amp settings)