Best method of achieving Mesa Dual Rec 3CH metal tone.

Fulltone OCD? Hmm, not so sure - got this from their website:

Q: The OCD is huge sounding, wide open sounding, why does it make my other Overdrives sound like there's a blanket over the speakers in comparison?

A: Because 99% of all pedals use clipping diodes to achieve their distortion, and the net result is you are lopping off the upper frequencies (harmonics) and most of the lower frequencies, leaving mostly only Midrange.

He says that as if it's a bad thing, and I guess if you're using an OD pedal as part of the tone stack than it is, but the use of a Tube Screamer for high-gain amps really isn't to provide any extra gain (hence having the drive almost all the way down), but rather cuz of its filtering effect that thins out the unpleasant flubby lows (and I've never played an amp that benefitted from it as much as a Rectifier!). A TS7 is only $40, worth picking up I'd say!

Fulltone OCD? Hmm, not so sure - got this from their website:

Q: The OCD is huge sounding, wide open sounding, why does it make my other Overdrives sound like there's a blanket over the speakers in comparison?

A: Because 99% of all pedals use clipping diodes to achieve their distortion, and the net result is you are lopping off the upper frequencies (harmonics) and most of the lower frequencies, leaving mostly only Midrange.

He says that as if it's a bad thing, and I guess if you're using an OD pedal as part of the tone stack than it is, but the use of a Tube Screamer for high-gain amps really isn't to provide any extra gain (hence having the drive almost all the way down), but rather cuz of its filtering effect that thins out the unpleasant flubby lows (and I've never played an amp that benefitted from it as much as a Rectifier!). A TS7 is only $40, worth picking up I'd say!

Surprisingly the fulltone OCD helped a little bit as well.. I haven't heard another overdrive would be like.. but it cleaned up the tone a lot.. when I put it on the HP settings and followed the above direction for settings.. it sounded awesome! Took away flub!

Possibly going to try the TS7 too.. I like what I'm hearing.. even from my stock IBZ pickups o_O

i have the three channel recto. I use the orange channel bold/diodes. I keep the pre volume up around 1 oclock, presence at around noon, the gain at noon, and bas at 10 oclock, mids at 10 oclock and treble a bit past noon. I use emg`s and tend to pick kinda hard, so I tend to use less gain. especially if I`m cranking the amp. I`m using the same cab as you.
I also have a ts7 and a maxon 808. the ts7 seems to boost the mids a bit more, and cut some highs. the 808 sounds more open. probably less low/ high cut going on.

another cool thing about the ts7 is that it has two modes. the second mode is pretty neat for making buzz saw tones with the recto. If your into bloodbath, or old school bands like entombed you will be in heaven!

Surprisingly the fulltone OCD helped a little bit as well.. I haven't heard another overdrive would be like.. but it cleaned up the tone a lot.. when I put it on the HP settings and followed the above direction for settings.. it sounded awesome! Took away flub!

Possibly going to try the TS7 too.. I like what I'm hearing.. even from my stock IBZ pickups o_O

Yeah, actually, that HPF switch does make it look promising; still, the TS7 doesn't exactly "cut" the lows, but you'll have to refer to the TS FAQ for the science behind it :D So still worth trying the TS7 I'd say!

i have the three channel recto. I use the orange channel bold/diodes. I keep the pre volume up around 1 oclock, presence at around noon, the gain at noon, and bas at 10 oclock, mids at 10 oclock and treble a bit past noon. I use emg`s and tend to pick kinda hard, so I tend to use less gain. especially if I`m cranking the amp. I`m using the same cab as you.
I also have a ts7 and a maxon 808. the ts7 seems to boost the mids a bit more, and cut some highs. the 808 sounds more open. probably less low/ high cut going on.

another cool thing about the ts7 is that it has two modes. the second mode is pretty neat for making buzz saw tones with the recto. If your into bloodbath, or old school bands like entombed you will be in heaven!

I LOVE bloodbath.

I will definately need a TS7 then.. geez.