3ch Dual Recto purchase and Tubes suggestions

DevilJaw

Studio Junkie
Sep 5, 2007
Arizona, USA
im wondering what your guys tubes preferences are for a mesa 3ch recto?

the one i got came with a full set of groove tubes 6L6GE and ECC83-S preamp tubes.

i just bought this used from GuitarCenter and had sold some stuff i wasnt using that much, sold a 6505, valveking, and a v30 cab and all in one day, then decided to check out some GCs to see if any good used gear was available and got to one 20 mins before closing and found a 3ch dual recto for cheap.

i dont know what the 2 ch sounds like but if they are anything like like the 3ch i will love it as well. i think i prefer the 3ch due to more options than the 2 ch.

but with just a few mins with your guys settings and i was in heaven. its my first mesa and i couldn't be any happier.

Now then, I love Winged C power tubes and Penta Labs 12AX7's! (Penta takes the best of the Shuguang 9th gen tubes and just relabels 'em). And actually, I'm planning on renting a 3 ch. Dual to compare with my 2 ch. in the near future, cuz honestly I'm finding the 2 ch. to have a certain fizz at 6k that's a bit tiring to my ears, and I realize most other 2 ch. clips I've heard also have it, but most 3 ch. (and especially Roadster) clips I've heard haven't!

i seen a mesa preamp tube kit from dougstubes, it has
Tung-Sol 12AX7
High Gain JJ ECC83
Penta 12AX7
Shuguang 12AX7 8th gen
Sovtek 12AX7 LPS

would this be good?

i was split between the winged c and JJs, i already have JJs in my 5150 II, i think try something different.

also i just found that i love the orange channel - vintage gain, classic crunch that i have wouldn't know how to get if i didnt hear it.

as much of a peavey whore that i am, i cant deny the mesa instant hard on gratification that i get from it.

I dunno, that seems like a weird mix and match, but I guess it'd work; honestly, in my experience tubes really don't make all that much of a difference, but I shot out a Tung Sol, Shuguang 9th gen, and JJ in V1 of my Tiny Terror, and found the differences to be subtle, but the Tung Sol was a bit too harsh, the JJ a bit too dark, and the Shuguang just right! (but again, I can't stress the subtlety enough, I think so much of the differences people hear with different tubes is placebo, at least with high-gain amps, it might be different in pro audio gear). And I'm glad you're diggin' it man! :headbang: