Dimarzio evo 7, a good call being an EMG81/85 user?

Jan 10, 2011
So my main guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser C1 tuned to B and I want to tune it to C and change the stock pickups of my Ibanez RG7421 to something that can match that emg81 tone I am getting with the Schecter. I came across a guy selling a Dimarzio Evolution 7 used at a good price (as I am on a budget). Would it be a good call or would it just not compete with the 81 and be a waste of money?. I'm thinking passives because I am not sure if I can have a passive and an active pickup in my guitar, is that possible?

Also, my Ibanez RG7412 brings some hum when I use distortion (cause by the improper electrical installation in my building), and that is gone when I plug in my Schecter, so I guess those are the actives cancelling it. I am concerned if getting the Evo 7 will bring back that hum or if that might be cause by the stock pickups.

So what would you do if you were me? I guess I can always sell the Evo 7, the only thing is that one of the holes for the screw is broken (so it now has the shape of a U instead of an O), might be hard to sell them that way :/

Go for it, I've heard that the EVO7 comes pretty close to the EMG tone. It is fairly hot, but should be fine with a noise gate.

A friend of mine had an Evo7 in a Universe once and it sounded really good. He's an EMG fan boy as well and liked the tone a lot, and it blended really well with my EMG equipped schecters at band practice. They're great pickups.

I heard rumours that EMG might be releasing passive sized 7 string pickups at NAMM though, so you might want to try and wait for that.

I'm actually more concerned about the hum. I fear that getting passives will give me the same or some hum that I have with the stock passives, that's why I was considering saving money for actives (blackouts probably), but this one just poped up for a nice price, plus saving me from having to also change the neck pickup