Dimarzio pickups for heavy rhythm

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Seems like the only metal guys that play Dimarzios are shredders and Petrucci nut-swingers, and all the real heavy rhythm guys play Duncans - that said, I don't wanna totally dismiss the company's many offerings, so can anyone weigh in on the Crunch Lab, D-Sonic, or D-Activator? (ideally someone who has compared them to Duncans/EMG's, can get a good chunky rhythm tone...and isn't primarily a shredder/Petrucci-fag :D)

Also, I notice that literally every one of their high-output pickups uses allen pole pieces, whereas Duncans pretty much all use the traditional screw/slug combo (except for the Full Shred and Invader); is this purely cosmetic, or is there a tonal difference as well?

Tone Zone is horrible. Needed to have a serious war with that pickup in order to make it work on a record I mixed late last year.

I'm not big on the Dimarzio range, but just tonight I heard an A/B comparison where a Crunch Lab totally ate a BKP Aftermath alive.

I have a set of D-activator Xs in a guitar that I used for recording. I enjoy the sound and do not plan to replace them any time soon. Having said that, I also have another guitar that has Seymour Duncan Invaders in it and I like those too. Definitely different. Both have something to offer me.

So glad you mentioned the D-Activators and Crunch. PrObably the only usable DiMarzios for 'metal'. I liked the D-Activators. Remind of the Duncan invader and distortion characteristics too :)

I'm a big fan of the Super 3.

Not for everyone though. Don't let the high output spec scare you away though. It's a very tight pickup IMO.

Also I quite like the Super Distortion and the Breed Neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a silhouette special with a tone zone.... and i'm gonna switch it for a seymour duncan jb ... I don't hate the tone zone but I don't like it either :guh: hehe

I have an evolution 7 in my 7 string guitar and I just love it!!! for real! I suggest anyone to test it!!!!

Crunchlab owns bkp.

I recorded this with a dimarzio d activator in my rg1527

You'll have to ask charlez and Phil for deets on the reamps

LOVE the D-Activators. Just got a bunch of sets of D-Activator bridge + Liquifire neck pickups and I could not be more happy.

Marcus, I'm primarily a rhythm oriented guy and I've pretty much ditched all of my EMG's for various passives, mainly Dimarzio's. Here's a list of the pickups I've used for rhythm tones that made me happy:

Crunch Lab: Rolled highs, decent mids, very tight/articulate, excellent chunk with a cool snarl (crunch I guess) that gives a pretty aggressive voicing. The rolled highs make it a good choice if you're like me and don't care for overly bright guitars, or if you want to tame a bright guitar a bit.

D-Activator: As Melb_shredder mentioned, this one is VERY suited to metal riffing. It's like having a pickup with the vibe of active pickups (tight, aggressive, compressed) but with the added benefit of passive pickup cleans. It's much beefier than the EMG's I had, great pickup. I don't know if it's my amp (Coreblade) or the fact I set my pickup height fairly low but I get excellent cleans with them as well.

Dominions: Here's a new set I picked up recently. Tons of mids, more moderate/high output (like a hot PAF), thick but tight tone, great clarity. It's NOT a firebreathing monster of a pickup though but I'm kinda more into moderate/high output instead of monster output pickups these days.

Super 3: High output, TONS of mids, one of THE classic Death metal pickups of the 90's. It's a crusher, I loved that pickup for many years. It's thick as hell but as mentioned earlier the bottom end is plenty tight. It roars like a caged animal. Good stuff.

X2N: **See Chuck Schuldiner** The thing about the X2N is it's dependent on the body wood you use. In a brighter wood it will have more cut, in something warm like mahogany it turns into a sledgehammer. I have one in a SG and it's thick, that's my br00tz guitar.

That's a short list. I've used a ton of other Dimarzio's in the quest for tone but those will get you started. I'm also a Seymour Duncan fan so I don't really see an issue with getting heavy tone with a variety of pickups from different manufacturers. My main reason for liking Dimarzio a bit more is I find some of the models just work for my riffing style a bit more than the Duncans do, mainly in the clarity/tightness department.

As for your question about screws/slugs yes, that apparently does make a difference in tone according to the dudes on the Seymour Duncan forum. Those guys mod their pickups all the time and changing to larger screws apparently add more treble, etc. I don't know all the details on that but I have swapped magnets in some pickups and it makes a difference. I hope that helps dude. :)

Devil's advocate......the last place I worked was a DiMarzio dealer, and since I could get them for cost, I tried a few out

Crunch Lab - I was really surprised how much I didn't like it. VERY tight, but pretty thin as well. I played with it for quite a while trying to get it to work for me, but for that sort of tone I found myself far preferring an EMG 81.

Tone Zone - I actually liked this pickup a lot. Again, it depends on your guitar/amp/playing style...but in the bridge of a Peavey HP Signature it worked really well. It was bassy, but warm. If you have a heavy right hand and use an OD, it could still be articulate and cutting while keeping some rock'n'roll warmth. If I had one guitar and needed a bridge pickup for it the Tone Zone wouldn't be it, but for textures...or a guitar that was a little more versatile but could still totally do metal well, the Tone Zone is cool.

D-Activators - For metal, probably my favorite of the bunch. Tight, focused and balanced.

All that said though, I don't own a single guitar with DiMarzios anymore. They seem to have this funky high end 'thing' that I just can't jive with. Again, to each their own, but they're just not for me. Some of my favorites are the Motor City Afwayu, PRS Tremonti, and Gibson 500t (needs to be a pretty dark sounding guitar). If you listen to any of the tones Petrucci got when using his Road King rig....the DiMarzios + the unboosted Recto = fizzy fart land. Maybe if I was using different amps, or less gain, I could get the DiMarzios to work for me, but in that Soldano vein (Rectos/5150's) they just didn't work for my playing style/taste. I need punch, tightness, and authority...but with a smooth top end. Fizz and I don't get along.

I agree there's nothing worse than incessant top-end pickup fizz. It makes me want to puke. It takes the awesome out of an otherwise fantastic tone.

I like the Tone Zone in Alder bolt-on guitars; I've heard great things about the D-Activators, too.

Doesn't our resident monster shred king from I Am Abomination use Evolutions ;)

I don't know if this is any help but here's a video I did using Dimarzio crunchlab (both rhythm and leads):

I like how it sounds but to be perfectly honest I haven't really played through many PUs to be able to tell the difference. I've only played with an emg707 and a seymour duncan JB.

Thanks a ton for the tips everyone; Juan, your insight especially is appreciated as always, hadn't really checked out Motor City or Gibson pups, but they're added to the list! Ironbird, super helpful as well dude, thanks a lot; guess the D-Activator will be my first shot, and maybe the Crunch Lab down the road (if I find a good deal on one used), but first I'm gonna do my shootout between the top-3 Duncans (JB, Distortion, and Alt. VIII), and then probably pit the winner against the D-Activator at some point in the future.

Kimon, I find ampsims kinda make all pickups sound the same, so I can't really judge - but amazing playing, riffing, and soloing as always dude :headbang: (however, I remembered that you used the JB on the Escalation EP, which really has a great tone on it IMO) And Andy, the vid isn't loading for some reason; can you post it the way Kimon and Garrett posted theirs?

Kimon, I find ampsims kinda make all pickups sound the same, so I can't really judge - but amazing playing, riffing, and soloing as always dude :headbang: (however, I remembered that you used the JB on the Escalation EP, which really has a great tone on it IMO) And Andy, the vid isn't loading for some reason; can you post it the way Kimon and Garrett posted theirs?

Interesting you mention this. I was tweaking this tone I'd been working on for an Iceman with stock pickups. Got it sounding pretty good too, so, just for "shits and giggles," I tried this tone out on a Schecter with a ceramic BK Warpig in the bridge. To my surprise, the AH2 in the Ibanez sounded much better than the Warpig did. Go figure, right? :)

One Dimarzio pickup I always liked was the Super Distortion. Anybody have any experience with a new production one of these? If so, how would you rate it to older models?

Kimon, I find ampsims kinda make all pickups sound the same, so I can't really judge - but amazing playing, riffing, and soloing as always dude :headbang: (however, I remembered that you used the JB on the Escalation EP, which really has a great tone on it IMO)

Thanks man. Well, I wouldn't say that all amp sims sound the same but they do behave different that real amps so you're right that it's not safe to judge PUs based solely on them. I still haven't had the chance to try the crunch lab through a real amp but I'm planning on recording a song and reamping the guitars sometime soon to see how it handles them.

For what is worth the reason I chose crunch labs is because of dream theater's "black clouds & silver linings" which has one of the best (if not the best) passive pickup guitar tones I've heard. Most of them tend to be kinda muddy for my taste. Even in the Escalation EP I wasn't 100% satisfied with the guitar tone with the JB to be honest.

Tone Zone is horrible. Needed to have a serious war with that pickup in order to make it work on a record I mixed late last year.

I'm not big on the Dimarzio range, but just tonight I heard an A/B comparison where a Crunch Lab totally ate a BKP Aftermath alive.

Amen, tonezone is no metal pickup in my experience with it in a mahogany guitar. Good for leads though. I have a custom wound one which is a pain in the ass when your other guitars have dimarzio evo's and EMG's