?Dimebag Dead?

"when i die i don't want people crying at my funeral i want them drinking - Dimebag Darrel"

he died doing what he does best and loves so much

shredding those great riffs he does and playing it loud as fuck

R.I.P Dimebag, you'll never be forgotten \m/

it really makes you think what kind of sick fuck it takes to do something like this, when the most heartless bastard in the universe can say this:

"This is unbelievable. To sit here and talk about Darrell in the past tense seems so wrong, so unfair, so unjust, I don't even know what to say. My heart goes out to Vinnie, to their families, to the other band members, and to the families and friends of the other people that were killed or injured, in this fucking senseless act of selfishness and stupidity.
In 1985 I was fortunate enough to meet both Darrell and his brother in Dallas on tour. The first thing me and my friend did as soon as that tour was over, was to head straight back to Dallas and hang out with Darrell and Vinnie for a long time, cuz they were the coolest muther fuckers that we had met after criss-crossing the states for three months. That was the beginning of a friendship that was anchored in love, respect, fun, outrageousness, music, booze, sweat, late nights, early mornings, hangovers, headaches, pounding eardrums, sore bodies... the list goes on.

There's a tendency in these fucked up moments to use the word "I" a lot and focus on one's own feelings of pity and shock... so instead let it just be known that thru these eyes Darrell was incredibly warm, open, fun, nutty, forthcoming, talented, embracing, unpretentious, accommodating and he always had a very attractive innocence about him that obviously made him never threatening and always welcoming.

Darrell and his brother were the cornerstone of musical adventures that were always groundbreaking, pushing boundaries, challenging to themselves and to their fans, respected by their peers and always true musicians' musicians, and today the rock world is worse off because of this untimely and senseless waste.

Much love and respect and thanks for letting me be a small part of your life and I know you are already having fun and throwing it down with Bon Scott, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi, Cliff B., and the rest of the musicians and troublemakers that you are hanging with so prematurely.

Lars"

So, Dime goes to guitar heaven, and at the (cemetary) gates, St. Peter (Frampton) says to him, "What kinda amps you like." Dimebag replies "Well I was endorsed by KRANK, do you have them?" St. Peter looks at his clipboard and says, "Yep, we got KRANK, what kinda guitars you like?" "Well, I was endorsed by Dean, you got any of my signature models here?" "Oh, but of course we do." So St. Peter takes Dime to his room, and off the side of it theres a HUGE jam room. "LOOK AT THIS JAM ROOM, THIS IS HUGE" he shouts. "Well this is guitar heaven, so everyone gets one just as big, except the Big Guy, his is twice this size" So late at night Dimebag is laying down, and he heres this nice thick bluesy tone, Texas style, and he asks St. Peter, "Who is that, he is AWESOME." St Peter says, "Oh thats Stevie Ray Vaughn, he's always jamming well into the night." The next day Dime heres this psychedelic riffs and leads coming from down the hall. "WHO IS THAT" Dime asks again. "Oh thats Jimi Hendrix." The next night dime heres this lightning fast neoclassical leads, sweeps, arpeggios, tapping, all that good stuff. He goes to see St. Peter and says "Wow, I didn't know yngwie died, what a shame to the mortals on earth to lose such a great guitarist." St peter looks at him with raised eyebrows and says "Yngwie isn't here, that must been God, He thinks he's Yngwie."

Ba-dum-tish

^^what about randy?^I've started smiling again cause the good thing about this very miserable situation is that now he's officially a Legend... and I think he's the first musician thats been shot dead on stage... i won't sign the last comment though not sure... Now some small kid will hear of him on MTV and get curious get some Pantera Mp3's... get some Pantera Album's... Get some more fukin Heavy music... pick up a guitar and become the next Dime!!!! :headbang:

bob: that did indeed make me smile. :)

This is what i wrote for him on Metalwhore....should be up soon.

I'm keepin this fairly short...

Back in the early 90s, when I was startin with the guitar at first(yeah, i am one of them instrument jumpers as you can see from profile), I was playing around with a lot of stuff. It was a band called Pantera that got me wantin to shred the heavy shit, and the guitarist, Mr. Dimebag Darrell. He influenced countless guitarists of this generation, like Randy did in the last one. When you heard Dime play, you KNEW it was him. I still remember learning Pantera songs to cover back in the day. And boy, I remember bein frustrated learning them!

Of course we will mourn. My heart and condolences, and all those at Metalwhore go out to his family and friends. I am glad the motherfucker who shot him is dead to say the least. He took someone dear to all of us, whether we knew him personally or through his music. This ain't what metal's about, people.

But at the same time, while mourning, remember what he did for all of us. He was fun to watch onstage, I had the pleasure of witnessing him play over ten years ago. He had quite the presence. He always looked like he was doing what he loved. He was indeed doing what he loved, shredding.

Everyone, at some point, get together with your metal brothers and sisters, and take a shot for the man. I am sure he'll be smiling while we all do it.

Take care, Dime. And thanks for everything. You and Randy look out for us, would ya?

id take out the "Im glad the motherfucker who shot him is dead to say the least."

and make it more pity than rage. I know you're pissed, but it's probably going to stir up some shit. IMO.

When I heard that “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott was murdered while on stage, all I could think about at the time was then I met him when I was 15 at Zia Records by my house in Phoenix, AZ. I waited some hours to get my poster autographed by all of Pantera, most importantly my favorite metal guitarist of all time. Years later, I had the privilege to talk to him at an adult level about 3 months before this tragedy happened, at the age of 22. With a beer in my hand at the famous Rainbow Room Bar and Grill on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, I ran into Dime by the cigarette machine and asked him if I could speak with him. We talked about a lot of things for about 5 min, like when he played Mesa Amphitheater in Mesa, AZ on The Great Southern Trendkill tour in 1996. He was real responsive and friendly, and I wished him much future success in his new band Damageplan which I was impressed by with the work he did on their debut album New Found Power. When I thought about how we said goodbye, what happened was Dime and I hit both our fists together, and I said, “See ya at the Damageplan show in Tempe, AZ and his typical saying he said to me was “You know it brother,” I basically cried the second I heard the news and reminisced on that great moment.

He was such a down to earth guy, and influenced my life as a guitar player all throughout my teenage years. It was spiritual to get ready for a Pantera concert and to hear the man play live growing up. This affects all the metal communities worldwide, it will affect me for the rest of my life, and he will go down in history as a guitar legend and as a lifestyle. As a musician, I am not afraid when I perform on stage, even if a band doesn’t have any security, there is that sense of decency at least for a human not to harm another human over music. For this person with mental illness or whatever it was that triggered the murder, the stalker like obsession for musicians or any celebrity should be reported immediately to authorities. I don’t think this has ever happened before in the history of music, as far as someone getting on stage and executing someone while they are still handling their instrument. I will never forget this tragic event, to me it hit harder than 9/11.

We dedicated our show to Dimebag Dec 10th, 2004 at The Marquee Theater at the same venue Damageplan performed about a month prior from the show. The show started out as a local metal bands fest, but it was declared a memorial for Dimebag with about 800 in attendance. Channel 5 news did a coverage story about the issue of violence at metal shows with me and some of the Motive members. Our vocalist Nathan Gearhart did guest vocals with a thrash metal band from Phoenix, called Motive, they performed Fucking Hostile by Pantera. R.I.P. Dimebag, shred some licks with Chuck Schuldiner in the spiritual world, and we will meet again. My deepest condolences go to the family and friends of the victims in this berserk asinine shooting.