So sad :-(

Yes, it is another sad day for metal. It was the first thing I saw on the news this morning. I spent my trip to work waking up my friends to tell them the news.

I tell you, this incident only FURTHER solidified my approval of places like the House of Blues that wand every patron. DON'T BITCH ABOUT SECURITY, people, it's there to protect you and your "heros, rock-gods or idols" you watch on stage.

It could have been any ONE of us, at any show, at any time. Show some respect.

I played nothing but Pantera CD's all day today at work. He will be missed.

R.I.P. Dimebag. We'll all meet again someday.

Never listened to Pantera much more than the cover of planet caravan, never got it, but I knew them since the mid-90's. Can't say i'm surprised something like this happens, but I do feel sorry, nobody should die that way. Especially a guitarist on stage.

Sad thing is, now they are calling it the "heavy-metal massacre" :(

*sigh*

I'm not a Pantera fan myself, but that's a terrible thing to happen and it's unjustifiable.
My sympathies to all of you.

Now watch the media and 'concerned' parents and other close-minded authoritative figures start using this against metal and heavy music itself..

@mags: i sort of thought the same thing. now everyone will be ranting about "extreme music and what it does to our kids". like crazy people don't go to, say, britney spears shows.

although i normally don't get moved by news related to celebrities (as sad as they might be), this particular event touched me, especially after reading the sincere, open messages on fan sites and boards.

Schwedentod said:
I just posted something as a comment to the news on a german metal-page. Here it is, if anyone wants me to translate, tell me, but right now it's too late for that. Here it is:
Ich habe.......
yep,if you don't mind,i'm interested cos i'm not that good in german,I just know smth.thx alot

i can't believe what's happened yet...damn...:-/

When I heard that “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott was murdered while on stage, all I could think about at the time was then I met him when I was 15 at Zia Records by my house in Phoenix, AZ. I waited some hours to get my poster autographed by all of Pantera, most importantly my favorite metal guitarist of all time. Years later, I had the privilege to talk to him at an adult level about 3 months before this tragedy happened, at the age of 22. With a beer in my hand at the famous Rainbow Room Bar and Grill on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, I ran into Dime by the cigarette machine and asked him if I could speak with him. We talked about a lot of things for about 5 min, like when he played Mesa Amphitheater in Mesa, AZ on The Great Southern Trendkill tour in 1996. He was real responsive and friendly, and I wished him much future success in his new band Damageplan which I was impressed by with the work he did on their debut album New Found Power. When I thought about how we said goodbye, what happened was Dime and I hit both our fists together, and I said, “See ya at the Damageplan show in Tempe, AZ and his typical saying he said to me was “You know it brother,” I basically cried the second I heard the news and reminisced on that great moment.

He was such a down to earth guy, and influenced my life as a guitar player all throughout my teenage years. It was spiritual to get ready for a Pantera concert and to hear the man play live growing up. This affects all the metal communities worldwide, it will affect me for the rest of my life, and he will go down in history as a guitar legend and as a lifestyle. As a musician, I am not afraid when I perform on stage, even if a band doesn’t have any security, there is that sense of decency at least for a human not to harm another human over music. For this person with mental illness or whatever it was that triggered the murder, the stalker like obsession for musicians or any celebrity should be reported immediately to authorities. I don’t think this has ever happened before in the history of music, as far as someone getting on stage and executing someone while they are still handling their instrument. I will never forget this tragic event, to me it hit harder than 9/11.

We dedicated our show to Dimebag Dec 10th, 2004 at The Marquee Theater at the same venue Damageplan performed about a month prior from the show. The show started out as a local metal bands fest, but it was declared a memorial for Dimebag with about 800 in attendance. Channel 5 news did a coverage story about the issue of violence at metal shows with me and some of the Motive members. Our vocalist Nathan Gearhart did guest vocals with a thrash metal band from Phoenix, called Motive, they performed Fucking Hostile by Pantera. R.I.P. Dimebag, shred some licks with Chuck Schuldiner in the spiritual world, and we will meet again. My deepest condolences go to the family and friends of the victims in this berserk asinine shooting. – John from Vehemence

Dude, you've posted that in at least five forums that I've seen so far. It seems like you're making publicity out of this.

Though I do care about the death of a talented musician who's had such a big influence in metal, and it saddens and worries me that this kind of thing can happen at shows, I hate people's extreme reactions, both positive and negative.

One sad thing, I was laying in a hospital (getting home tomorrow \o/) when I heard the news from the radio.

Pantera was a good band and it's terrible to see things like this happen. I just wonder what kind of an impact this will have on the security measures in metal concerts...

Xzar said:
Pantera was a good band and it's terrible to see things like this happen. I just wonder what kind of an impact this will have on the security measures in metal concerts...

Yeah I wonder also. I doubt anything will change in the UK or Europe but in America it'll probably get pretty tight now with metal items, and I suspect there'll be searches and such. I also wonder if bands will be more apprehentious to visit some of the southern states after this... I know the thought of being murdered on stage would freak me out, and it probably does everyone else gigging atm.

I have seen Pantera live 4x and my most vivid memory of Dimebag
was at OZZfest(1997?). After about 5 songs there was a lull in Pantera's
set and Dimebag said "Since He's not here" (the He was Marilyn Manson,
he/they were not appearing at every OZZfest) as the rest of the band just
stood there, Dimebag went into this unbelievable guitar solo of Manson's
'Beautiful People' it lasted about a minute and when He stopped the crowd of
about 35000 including me were stunned. There was not a sound to be heard
for a few seconds then the place went absolutely crazy. I've never seen/heard
anything like it at any of the 1000s of concerts I've attended over the years.
The only performance I can in a small way compare to Dimbags playing was
at last years Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction of George Harrison when
Prince did the His Guitar thing to George's Song 'My Guitar Gently Weeps".
I can closed my eyes and still see Dime playing the Beautiful People
So RIP my Brother
and let us not forget
Erin Halk
Jeff Thompson
Nathan Bray
they also died on that night , so sad :-(

I see that DT are playing the same venue where all of this occurred on their US
tour next year. I wonder if they have any thoughts about playing there?
I think it would be cool if they played a Pantera/DamagePlan song in memory of
Dimebag when there. I suggest they play Walk (my favorite Pantera Song)
I'd love to see/hear Martin H do His guitar thing with that song.

I don't know what the following has to do with anything
and to tell you the truth,I hope no one cares :-/
I had thought that I was gone from this forum but a couple of dt forum members
stalked / followed me to other forums (they have every right to do as they please)
So I think I'll return and turn my desktop into choas
Hallo,hallo
daviDT