Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

Yes I give Dimmu's PEM 10/10 too, its a total top-notch master piece of Dimmu. I just love it.

Glad to see we agree hearse :)

Dimmu Borgir, in case you didn't notice, is a very symphonic black metal band where guitars aren't even close to the predominant instrument

In the older albums yes, but when it comes to puritanical, i highly disagree with you. The guitars are the focus of this album, and the keyboards are just an atmosphere setting thing... PEU is a thrash album basically, if it wasn't for the vocals, and maybe the presence of the keyboards as much, i think alot of people who are into thrash would see it for what it is, a good thrash album with a Black under/overtone.

Originally posted by Trapped

PEU is a thrash album basically, if it wasn't for the vocals, and maybe the presence of the keyboards as much, i think alot of people who are into thrash would see it for what it is, a good thrash album with a Black under/overtone.

Exactly.

However, I listened to this album this morning and found that it was hard to sit through the whole thing. The keyboards sound too... 'happy' in parts that sort of spoils the mood.

Its a decent blackened thrash album... and a good album all-around.

To class this album as Black Metal is an insult to this band's talent. This album is totally awesome, and while cult fans of Black Metal will whinge and moan that Dimmu Borgir are not "True" enough, not -nearly- noisy enough, and too damn talented to fit under the ever so annoying Black Metal umbrella, anyone who loves their metal should get into this.

Reviewers should express their own opinions, but some amount of objectivity is required. To devote a good part of a paragraph to flame a musical genre you obviously understand nothing about, without any sound reasoning is just silly. Please, give me an example of a black metal fan whining that DB are not "true" enough. I think you'll have a hard time finding one, because they tend to complain about how bad this album is in musical terms. Classifying all black metal fans who dislike Dimmu as some kind of narrow-minded fools is insulting.

"not -nearly- noisy enough, and too damn talented to fit under the ever so annoying Black Metal umbrella."
Noisy? Isn't that relative to the volume the music is played at? The "oomph" value of the music with the trigerred drums is much higher than most of the "cult" black metal you seem to be referring to. Darkthrone, Taake, Bathory, Burzum etc. were never known for the "noisyness" of their music, but rather atmoshpere. I think if you actually listened to the aforementioned bands you would notice that the music is much closer to Stormblast in style, and considerably less chaotic than PME.

As for talent, I would argue that Emperor, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Darkthrone, Immortal, Enslaved etc. are far more talented. This does not have anything to do with their composing quality as such, but the fact that all of them have done something completely original in their time, and have had a huge effect on subsequent bands. Are you arguing that PME is a revolutionary album that achieves something completely new, or that Dimmu has ever done that? The only thing that really sets them out is Vortex' singing, and even that was taken from Borknagar.

Darkthrone, Taake, Bathory, Burzum etc. were never known for the "noisyness" of their music, but rather atmoshpere. I think if you actually listened to the aforementioned bands you would notice that the music is much closer to Stormblast in style, and considerably less chaotic than PME.

You assume that because i don't appreciate true blackmetal, that i haven't heard it. That is highly incorrect, and amusing at best. A large number of Black Metal fans alienate Dimmu Borgir, in particular Puritanical, as the black sheep of black metal... When i fact, i personally wouldn't consider them black metal, and if half of these closed-minded fools would consider them something OTHER than BM, or just listen to them for what they are, then i beleive that they might really dig the band, as I do.

Personally, i wouldn't consider celtic frost black metal, even though they influenced most of today's black bands. It's pretty thrashy stuff, so i guess you could say it's "Dark Thrash" or something. And just so you know, i own all of their stuff from Morbid Tales up to Pandemonium (i did have Cold Lake at one point, but in all honesty i really didn't like the album. I don't even think i need to mention Seduce me tonight and Dance sleazy do I :lol:)

And about Bathory, i can't understand how anyone can even possibly CONSIDER attempting to listen to anything pre-"Blood Fire Death", and even then I cringe a fair bit. The funny thing is is that these recordings are considered "Staple BM", and all i can see in it is primitive teenage noise... Anything of theirs recorded in the eighties, and even into the nineties, sounds like it is recorded in a bucket full of water, which is inside a well, which is housed inside a rusty shed, which was being rained on at the point of recording ( :rolleyes: ). THAT is where i draw the noise comparison from. That is also where i draw the chaotic comparison for, as you really can't hear what the fuck they are doing, i wasn't meaning in terms of technicality, because lets' face it, bathory have never been the most complex of bands at any time during their career.

Puritanical isn't chaotic at all, and i would greatly appreciate it if you would explain to me how you see it is as chaotic? There is only ONE point throughout the whole album where there is an odd number of bars, and even then it flows perfectly well. I am a big fan of technical and "Chaotic" stuff like Cynic, Alarum, Atheist ect, and i fail to see how you can draw a comparison for "Chaotic" from Puritanical?

"not -nearly- noisy enough, and too damn talented to fit under the ever so annoying Black Metal umbrella."
Noisy? Isn't that relative to the volume the music is played at? The "oomph" value of the music with the trigerred drums is much higher than most of the "cult" black metal you seem to be referring to

No, noise is not relative to the volume the music is played at, that is a highly uninformed statement to make. In particular early bathory, there is alot of "fuzz", from a bad production (It seems "Cool" in cult blackmetal to make it painful to listen to, in particular cutting low end, and boosting high end, resulting in alot of noise, especially from the guitars).

Reviewers should express their own opinions, but some amount of objectivity is required. To devote a good part of a paragraph to flame a musical genre you obviously understand nothing about, without any sound reasoning is just silly. Please, give me an example of a black metal fan whining that DB are not "true" enough. I think you'll have a hard time finding one, because they tend to complain about how bad this album is in musical terms. Classifying all black metal fans who dislike Dimmu as some kind of narrow-minded fools is insulting.

It was intended to be insulting, as "Cult" black metal is highly amusing, and the fact that so many people follow it simply because it is "Cult" to listen to these bands, is an insult in itself.

I didn't say "All Black Metal Fans who dislike dimmu are narrow-minded-fools" at any point during my arguament. What i said is that people who listen to bands simply because they are "Black Metal", the "Cult" fans who follow BM like groupies, are generally the ones who dislike this album, as it isn't black metal at all, and yet they seem to want to say "Ooooh, it isn't black metal" for some reason. I don't hear people saying that about Death, or Morbid Angel.... you know why? Exactly. Because just like Dimmu, they are not Cult BM.

I think you'll have a hard time finding one, because they tend to complain about how bad this album is in musical terms.

That is a funny statement for you to make. How exactly do you mean "Bad this album is in musical terms"... I certainly see alot more musicianship and virtuosity in Dimmu Borgir than I do in Bathory, or Celtic frost...! Do you actually know anything about music at all? Because i studied music theory for two years, and i sure as hell see alot more thought gone into this album in terms of structure and general musicianship as opposed to, hmm... say Satyricon.

, I would argue that Emperor, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Darkthrone, Immortal, Enslaved etc. are far more talented

You can't SERIOUSLY put emperor and bathory in the same category can you? That is just plain rediculous. Promethius, like Puritanical, really isn't blackmetal at all, in fact, i am inclined to say that Prom is albums progressive death metal. Same goes for IX, just a notch down in musicality and production.

Look back up at my previous paragraph about celtic frost and bathory, neither band were particularily good musicians.

Immortal are great musicians, but they cannot write to save their lives, and the production thing comes into it too, everything they've recorded sounds like a backyard recording into a tape-player...

Like i have said SO many times, Dimmu Borgir is NOT black metal, and they do NOT PLAY black metal, and it annoys me that you keep trying to put them up against bands like immortal and bathory. If you would get over yourself and your cult fixation with being "TRUE", then you might actually get to like Dimmu for what they are, and if you haven't worked out what that is yet, read my review again with that in mind. They are NOT black metal, and hence you are just ruining your credibility by saying that they are untalented, especially when you are trying to say that they aren't good at Black Metal like Emperor were, when in fact they aren't even TRYING to play BM.

-Trapped

Originally posted by Trapped
They are NOT black metal, and hence you are just ruining your credibility by saying that they are untalented, especially when you are trying to say that they aren't good at Black Metal like Emperor were, when in fact they aren't even TRYING to play BM.

I would like to say something here because I follow this thread since its start. I don't like Dimmu Borgir, because I find them boring but that is my personal opinion. The point I would like to make is that whether you like it or not Dimmu Borgir are a band of the black metal scene and that is apparent even from the statements of the band themselves. Many times in interviews they state that they consider the band and their music to be black metal. Maybe it's black metal for people that don't listen to black metal reguralry (like Trapped) but nevertheless they are part of the scene. As for the talent and the technical knowledge that was mentioned somewhere else, the fact that someone is a highly skilled musician doesn't make the music he writes automatically good. Bathory and Celtic Frost may not have been that good in the technical part but their music was exceptional. And what they do (Dimmu) is surely not that experimental...

I got an intelligent, well-thought out reply to my arguments, so thanks for not sinking down to silly flaming.

If you go to the Norway scene forum, you will notice that all the people who listen to "true" black metal DENY that Dimmu Borgir is black metal. Macmoney, Lutz, phyre etc. do not like PEM, but to them it has nothing to do with whether the album is black metal or not. They simply do not like it's musical qualitys, and argue with Dimmu fanboys who insist that PEM is black metal.

I put Emperor and Bathory in the same category because both represent "true" black metal. As Euronymous said, black metal is about a certain kind of attitude and atmosphere in the music, it's not a technical label. I agree with you that the last Emperor albums hardly represent black metal. As for Immortal having bad recording quality, listen to Sons of Northern Darkness. It was recorded in Peter Tagtren's Abyss studio, and the sound quality is very high. It's the same studio Dimmu recorded EDT and SBD in, as you probably know.

If you would get over yourself and your cult fixation with being "TRUE", then you might actually get to like Dimmu for what they are, and if you haven't worked out what that is yet, read my review again with that in mind. They are NOT black metal, and hence you are just ruining your credibility by saying that they are untalented, especially when you are trying to say that they aren't good at Black Metal like Emperor were, when in fact they aren't even TRYING to play BM.

If you had read my previous posts, you would know that I have quite a bit of self-irony about the black metal thing. I have nothing to prove to anyone, and I listen to whatever I want. Dimmu Borgir is NOT black metal, and I have never claimed so. I have never said that they are untalented, but argued against your statement that their supreme talent completetly destroys black metal bands. I don't like words being put into my mouth.

That is a funny statement for you to make. How exactly do you mean "Bad this album is in musical terms"... I certainly see alot more musicianship and virtuosity in Dimmu Borgir than I do in Bathory, or Celtic frost...! Do you actually know anything about music at all?

Yes, I play keyboards and guitar, and you probably play some instrument too reasoning from your posts. As far as musicianship goes, I think it has little to do with good music. Alot of the music I listen to is very simple, and doesn't show off instrumental virtuosity, but I still thoroughly enjoy. As I clearly stated in my post, I was considering musical originality alone. Bathory and Celtic Frost are pioneers, bands that have had a huge impact on subsequent metal. Claiming that Dimmu Borgir is more important than them is almost idiotic. I can certainly admit that they are much more adept musicians, but songwriting is another matter.

Just had to say; SBD's production is absolutely awful, considering it was done in Abyss. I think they forgot to mix-in the double bass, either that or they forgot to record it altogether. Everything else is a complete mess. Still amazing compared to most black metal though, not that i've got anything (much) against bad production.

I got an intelligent, well-thought out reply to my arguments, so thanks for not sinking down to silly flaming.

Anytime dude, we're both metalheads, and you seem to know what you're talking about, so... kudos :)

If you go to the Norway scene forum, you will notice that all the people who listen to "true" black metal DENY that Dimmu Borgir is black metal. Macmoney, Lutz, phyre etc. do not like PEM, but to them it has nothing to do with whether the album is black metal or not. They simply do not like it's musical qualitys, and argue with Dimmu fanboys who insist that PEM is black metal.

Yeah, i mistook what you were saying, and i've had to deal with many attackings at the opeth forum because i like dimmu. My main reason for bringing the fact that they are not BM is not to attack the BM community, it is more for people into thrash and death metal, who i think would really dig this, but don't ever pick it up because they have been told at some point that Dimmu Borgir are Black Metal of some kind... Genres, although helpful sometimes, can really suck from time to time, as they cause confusion, as there are so many different sub-genres, and original bands that are doing something different, and yet are still put in the same category as bands who are totally different.

I put Emperor and Bathory in the same category because both represent "true" black metal. As Euronymous said, black metal is about a certain kind of attitude and atmosphere in the music, it's not a technical label. I agree with you that the last Emperor albums hardly represent black metal. As for Immortal having bad recording quality, listen to Sons of Northern Darkness. It was recorded in Peter Tagtren's Abyss studio, and the sound quality is very high. It's the same studio Dimmu recorded EDT and SBD in, as you probably know.

I've got Sons of Northern Darkness in the mail at the moment, i'll let you know what i think when it arrives... at the moment, i've got Battles in the north, At the heart of winter and another one on tape which i am led to beleive is called pure holocaust... I'm interested to hear some better produced stuff, because like i said, they are great musicians, but the production and the writing lets them down quite a bit...

Yes, I play keyboards and guitar, and you probably play some instrument too reasoning from your posts.

Yes, i've played guitar for 12 years, i played piano for five, and i worked in a recording studio for two years...

As far as musicianship goes, I think it has little to do with good music. Alot of the music I listen to is very simple, and doesn't show off instrumental virtuosity, but I still thoroughly enjoy. As I clearly stated in my post, I was considering musical originality alone.

That's really a personal opinion. I prefer virtuosity AND good writing and good music skills. I think a band and a musician should be well rounded in both things, a great player, and great writing... It's really a difference of opinion, becase although we both obviously are fairly informed about music, we disagree on this album, for i think it has good musicianship, and i love the songs in themselves... It's a good, thrashy album, which is what i dig. It's more in line with stuff like new Testament, Kreator and Death, which i am a big fan of.

Bathory and Celtic Frost are pioneers, bands that have had a huge impact on subsequent metal. Claiming that Dimmu Borgir is more important than them is almost idiotic. I can certainly admit that they are much more adept musicians, but songwriting is another matter.

While i do pay homage to bands that were "pioneers", that does not mean that i personally have to draw any inspiration or like from them. For example, i do not personally dig many of Metallica's influences, and yet i love their first few recordings. I respect that bands like Motorhead influenced their music, but i really don't like motorhead myself... it's the same thing with Black metal, i don't dig the "cult" stuff, despite it being an influence, and much of the time with black metal, i like only the newer stuff, as the early albums are alot like their influences, it's only when a band steps up the the plate and does something different that i start to respect and like them... Using Celtic frost as an example, i see a bit of their influence on early Coroner, and while i love Coroner's mid-range stuff, like Punishment for decadence and Mental vortex, i don't personally dig their first album, nor much of Celtic frosts stuff... see where i'm coming from?

Thanks for the discussion dude, feel free to disagree with my other reviews and stuff too, criticism is more than appreciated :D

This album is Dimmu's best in my opinion. This is my favorite Dimmu member line-up as well. It's like an all star band! Amazing song writing, and musicianship throughout. Not to mention that Nick Barker is probably my favorite extreme drummer. I especially like the production on this album, as you can hear all the slightest details. Real string section! Fucking amazing album, i don't care what you all say! :p

In the case of Immortall , Abbath refuse labeled the band as black metal. He preferred to be call as "Holocaust metal"

In the case of Immortall , Abbath refuse labeled the band as black metal. He preferred to be call as "Holocaust metal"

For those who haven't heard the latest album by Dimmu, please check it out. It'll change your opinion because it's advanced in a thousand ways from the older style.

Definitely 10/10.

By the way, I had to laugh at the guy who thinks Nick Barker is a bad drummer.. what the fuck is up with that??:lol:

Yeah, somtimes I put DB on and I quite enjoy it. PEM is a bit over-produced in my opinion, it just sounds too "smooth", the natural feeling is gone. And after the first 2 songs (excluding the intro) I kinda loose interest.

By the way, I do get the impression that the fact that DB are "popular" etc. definitely does affect the opinions of people like MacMoney, phyre etc. Otherwise they'd just say, hmm, I don't really like them and wouldn't always bring up the topic of Black Metal/ not Black Metal, true/ not true etc.

They (in general) always go like "I fucking hate Dimmu, blah blah", I mean, why would you "fucking hate" Dimmu if you just don't find their music appealing. Get my point a bit... :rolleyes:...

I prefer old Dimmu Borgir (Stormblast especially), For all Tid, Stormblast and SPD are the ones I own, and SPD is good, but FAL and SB are the best.

PEM is best DB album, second is ETD, the band is awesome nickolas did a lot , i like him in COF and in DB

he came in rank 2 after nile's new drummer tony laureano
(listen to new nile: in their darkened shrines it's my best in 02)

my only complain is the solo guitars are too few only few songs have solos, and the solos are too weak
the music in general is amazing except puritania which is odd song, more kovenant with no idea and reason within the album,

the production is sell done too, i have all DB albums and this is the heaviest album