Dimmu Borgir Question

Jul 11, 2008
Dimmu Borgir is my first black metal band I have attempted to get into, and I bought there CD Death Cult Armageddon. One of the songs that drew me to this CD was the song Progencies of the Apocalypse (or something like that). I really love the clean vocals in that song, the bass player has such an awesome voice. But that seems to be only one of two songs he sings in, which is quite disappointing to me. It isn't making me dislike the band or anything, but I was hoping for more clean vocals. Is there more clean vocals on any of their other CDs?

Definitely Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia and Spiritual Black Dimensions would appeal to you, since both have a lot more clean vocals and both are easily better than DCA. Vortex's vocals are best on SBD (he was guest backing vocalist for this album) and without question it features Dimmu's best guitar work (back when they had Astennu). However, PEM is closer to DCA style-wise with its symphonics. Both are excellent albums!

Vortex also played in Borknagar that has plenty of clean vocals. You should check them out if that's your thing.

I personally love it when black metal bands use a mix of clean and harsh vocals. It adds such a duality to the music. If you enjoy Dimmu partially for the clean vocals, you should check out Bishop of Hexen. They're a great symphonic black metal act and they have loads of clean vocals (almost in every song), and they're better than Dimmu in my opinion.

Also, you definitely should look into both Borknagar and Arcturus, as has already been mentioned. If you like ICS Vortex's vocals, get the Borknagar album Quintessence. As for Arcturus, get any album.

emperor does a good job with clean vocals as well. actually, pretty much anything ihsahn has done. that guy is my hero
~gR~

The following albums also feature Vortex's vocals.

Borknagar - The Archaic Course

Borknagar - Quintessence

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale (lead on "The Chaos Path", backing otherwise)

Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies

Lamented Souls - The Origins of Misery

Last edited by a moderator:
If you enjoy Dimmu partially for the clean vocals, you should check out Bishop of Hexen.
Also, you definitely should look into both Borknagar
yes to both.

As far as Dimmu i think he would enjoy SBD and PEM.

Heres a great Borknagar song i've always liked, easily digestible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'd say Borknagar, Arcturus, Emperor, and Bishop of Hexen are definitely the proper next steps for you after Dimmu. I leave out Lamented Souls just because I haven't listened to them yet.

But which Emperor albums would be a good start for him? I guess Anthems since he likes clean vocals but as he delves deeper into black metal In The Nightside Eclipse should be another one for him.

But which Emperor albums would be a good start for him? I guess Anthems since he likes clean vocals but as he delves deeper into black metal In The Nightside Eclipse should be another one for him.

anthems and later work first.
~gR~

Prometheus and IX both feature a fair bit of clean vox, probably more than Anthems tbh. I personally like both better as well. But tbh he should just man up and get Nightside.