Dio for beginners

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
Having got "Diamonds: The Best of" as an afterthought a couple of Christmases ago and not played it much, I dragged it out last week and it's been on high rotation ever since. How could I have neglected such a damn fine CD for so long? :headbang:

I'm leaning towards Holy Diver next, but where to go from there? Recommendations are welcome :).

W

I heard one track from Killing The Dragon a couple of weeks ago and the old hobbit's voice sounded so shot I almost didn't recognise it. Guess all these years of dancing on the edge of rainbows finally caught up with him :lol:.

W

He was all tuckered out protecting his pot of gold ok,leave the poor basterd alone or he won't let you go :headbang:, cos he was the first person EVER to do that.

His voice is still strong, but it does sound a little different. Get 'Holy Diver' next for sure, then probably 'Last In Line' and/or 'Strange Highways', which is a bit newer, early 90s. I also recommend 'Magica'...is a bit different to his other stuff, but a damn fine concept album none-the-less!

DIO!! :headbang:

If you dont have any Rainbow or Sabbath Dio era shit. then get either:

Sabbath - -Heaven and Hell
or
Rainbow - Rising
Long Live Rock and Roll
Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow

These albums will blow your knob off!

But, if you already have them, get Holy Diver or Last in Line

I have all three of the studio albums Ronnie made with Sabbath (I briefly had Live Evil, and sold it because it sounds like it was recorded in someone's backyard toilet), but have yet to hear any Rainbow. Must look some of that up too.

W

Ahh bullshit to that!

Rainbow Rising fuckin rocks :headbang:

Ronnie and Ritchie Blackmore at their best. Stargazer is one of my favorite songs of all time. A freakin Epic, and in my opinion, the best song that Ronnie has ever performed on!

Also, A Light in the Black is a killer song. Awesome Guitar work on this one.

It depends what you like really. Rainbow is more Deep Purple sounding than Dio is, obviously because of Ritchie. The music is a lil more complex and focused on solo's and musical passages, whereas Dio is all about Balls and Chunk.... Chunky Riffs etc.

Holy Dio: A Tribute To Dio is also EXCELLENT! Better than the originals a lot of them! :D

I love Balls and Chunk. but I do also appreciate brilliant musicianship, which is why I love Dream Theater.

In saying that, I probably think that Heaven and Hell is a better album than any Rainbow album. Sabbath were on fire with this record!
Heaven and Hell is a killer riff

Well I've just completed three entries for Librarius Metallicus on bands Dio's been in (Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Dio, of course) and the research took me fucking hours! Personally, however, Rainbow is one of my favourite bands of all time, his work with Sabbath is awesome and just about all of his Dio albums are excellent. Does anyone know how much his 1958 single with Ronnie and the Redcaps would be worth these days?