Dio Logo & The Horns

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Hey, did any of you guys ever take a Dio record & turn it upside down in front of a mirror? Well, if you examin it closely you can make out the word
"devil." I forget who I heard this from, but it was back in the good old days.
Does anyone know if this was done intentionally by Ronnie or is it a fluke?
How about the story of "the horns?" If I recall, it was Ronnie's grandmother that would give him "the horns" when he go into mischief as a child. If I recall correctly, "the horns" stood for "evil." Something about that was something that people from that particular part of Italy would do....

I don't know about the logo. But Dio once mentioned that the horns was used by his grandmother as charm againts the "evil eye". I know that in Italy and Argentina means cornuto (that your woman is giving you the horns, by fooling around with someone else).

In Brazil the figa is a sign made by putting your thumb between your index and middle finger and closing the fingers like in a fist. Is used against the "evil eye" too. I have one made out of wood next to my bed, but is funny because in my country (Costa Rica) and some other LatinAmerican countries mean go fuck or another charming insult like that :tickled: .

Hand signs had diferent connotations in different cultures. But for sure Dio had made the horns his trademark, even is any decent headbanger will use it in a concert in general.
devil.gif

I read stuff like that before. I never saw the "devil thing personally and I have looked for it. There are a couple of hidden images on TLIL album, but nothing that wouldn't fit the cover artwork. Ronnie (Ronald James Padovana sp?) has Italian roots, so it is entirely possible that his "devil horns" sign could have came from smoe type of sign common (or once common) among Italians.

Bryant

Well, the "devil" is there or appears to be there in plain sight.
Never had any trouble finding that, ever.
I have seen the stuff hidden in the Last In Line album cover too.
That's easy to find, but to flip the logo upside down & place it in front of a mirror?
That's just plain genious! I doubt that was the artist's doing, most of the time the bands have a logo designed & then inserted to the cover art. I know if I had a chnace ever to meet Ronnie I would ask about this along with about another 12 questions...

sixxswine said:
Well, That's just plain genious! I doubt that was the artist's doing, most of the time the bands have a logo designed & then inserted to the cover art. I know if I had a chnace ever to meet Ronnie I would ask about this along with about another 12 questions...
Go see him in concert Sixx. He is playing larger clubs now and almost always talks to his fans after the show. He's quite approachable as are his bandmates.

Bryant