The international sign for metal

Sep 7, 2004
Theres a thing on blabbermouth.net where both Ronnie James Dio and Gene Simmons are saying the invented the devil's horns sign.\m/ Who do you think invented it? Ronnie James Dio all the way. :worship:

It was Gene Simmons of KISS...
Well, that's what he'd like you to believe.
If I recall correctly, Ronnie's grandmother
used to flash him the horns, when he was getting into mischief.
I think it was some kind of old Cicillian gesture for "evil."
So, in short, it was Ronnie that brought it to forefront of Metal.
And I don't think you can really say "who" came up with it...

sixxswine said:
It was Gene Simmons of KISS...
Well, that's what he'd like you to believe.
If I recall correctly, Ronnie's grandmother
used to flash him the horns, when he was getting into mischief.
I think it was some kind of old Cicillian gesture for "evil."
So, in short, it was Ronnie that brought it to forefront of Metal.
And I don't think you can really say "who" came up with it...
Ok then...let me correct that......who brought it into the world of metal music? Dio was doing before Gene even listened to rock music....in Elf. And Aliester Crowley used it quite often....

Here are some articles regarding the subject:

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=878

http://www.defenderofrock.com/news/dio.html

http://www.christwatch.com/DemonicSymbols/page2.htm

As a curious note in Argentina it means that your wife cheats on you (cornudo from the Italian cornuto). Which seems that (Hawk knows more history he can correct me) comes from an old medieval custom in which horns from a deer, were put in the door on a man whose wife was taken by the landlord on her wedding night as his right over the peasants.

I doubt seriously that Gene Simmons being born in Haifa has invented shit, because that sign has no meaning in Jewism (unless there's something in the Kabbala, and I doubt Gene was allowed into that ever). On the other hand Dio is from Italian origin, so...

I guess Dio... but remember Aleister Crowley was not a metal musician.. but a occultist.. he used alot of symbols.. satanic, egyptian etc.. so no surprise he used that.. he also used a symbol for the god Pan.. among others... anyways for now i would say Dio brought into metal.. but who knows maybe even ozzy or tony Iommi as well.. though ozzy tended to use the peace symbol alot...

Wyvern said:
Here are some articles regarding the subject:

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=878

http://www.defenderofrock.com/news/dio.html

http://www.christwatch.com/DemonicSymbols/page2.htm

As a curious note in Argentina it means that your wife cheats on you (cornudo from the Italian cornuto). Which seems that (Hawk knows more history he can correct me) comes from an old medieval custom in which horns from a deer, were put in the door on a man whose wife was taken by the landlord on her wedding night as his right over the peasants.
Also called the Droit de Segneur.

Alas "the horns" have nothing to do with that. It was in fact Dio's Granma that used the sign when Dio saw it for the first time. Its a very well known custom in Sicili and it is used *to ward off evil spirits*.

So at heart it is *not* a Satanic sign. How could it be, coming from the very south of Italy?

There is another sign however that very much like it and this is meant as an a Wiccan sign.

Dio holds his index and little finger wide apart like this:

\m/.

The other sign is with both fingers straith up. Something like this:

Notice how *the fingers point strait up*!
It may not look like a significant difference but it is.

The first: \m/ was used by Dio' s Granma to ward off evil spirits.

The second: is a Wiccan sign.

Notice how the Christain page Wyvern links to mixes both signs up.

I hope thise clears up any consufion. \m/ :D

Hawk said:
I hope thise clears up any consufion. \m/ :D

When throwing the horns is there a minimum distance that must be obtained between the index and pinky fingers, or that just a judgement call on the person who is throwing the horns?

Also, where did the variation of the horns with the thumb pointing out originate? I know that some people frown upon that style of horn throwing because it's not "old school" but I feel that one must be open to changes.

Also, is it acceptable to throw BOTH styles of horns at the same time? Do they cancel eachother out? Hum? I wonder?

:D

Igor_Cavalera said:
Go Hawk! You're one smart guy, where would we be without you?
You all would be using Google a lot more and find out the same stuff I just did. :D :wave:

Greeno said:
When throwing the horns is there a minimum distance that must be obtained between the index and pinky fingers, or that just a judgement call on the person who is throwing the horns?
It would depend on how clear on your message you would like to be.
Misunderstaning do happen. Strech them out and your in Dio territory, ho;d them tight against your other fingers and some people will think that your a Wiccan witch so I guess in the end it's up to you.

Greeno said:
Also, where did the variation of the horns with the thumb pointing out originate? I know that some people frown upon that style of horn throwing because it's not "old school" but I feel that one must be open to changes.
I think it originated from being sloppy, lazy or simply some people are just dumb fucks and wannabees :loco:

Greeno said:
Also, is it acceptable to throw BOTH styles of horns at the same time?
With the same hand you mean ? :tickled:

Greeno said:
Do they cancel eachother out? Hum? I wonder?
They do when you try to do it with one and the same hand :loco:

However if you do it with both hands some people might take you for a leftist Dio-ist and right hand Wiccian witch.

That's btw not as bad as a rightist Dio-ist and a left handed Wiccian witch because in earlier time the lefthand was considered to be the hand of the devil.

It seems to me that warding off evil spirits is better done with your right hand because thats the Christian hand. I know the Moslim faith also thinks of the left hand as being unclean. thats why Moslims may only use their right hand to eat. [weird huh, because it is mostly that right hand that gives us much pleasure when we are along with our selves. There must be some symbolism in that :)]

Greeno said:
:lol:

Hawk said:
You all would be using Google a lot more and find out the same stuff I just did.

:lol: Well done man, well done.

Hawk said:
[weird huh, because it is mostly that right hand that gives us much pleasure when we are along with our selves. There must be some symbolism in that :)]

Greeno said:

Also, is it acceptable to throw BOTH styles of horns at the same time? Do they cancel eachother out? Hum? I wonder?

Oh man, I love your sense of humour. That really cracked me up :)

Hawk said:

It seems to me that warding off evil spirits is better done with your right hand because thats the Christian hand. I know the Moslim faith also thinks of the left hand as being unclean. thats why Moslims may only use their right hand to eat. [weird huh, because it is mostly that right hand that gives us much pleasure when we are along with our selves. There must be some symbolism in that :)]

Thats funny because I am Left handed and do everything Left handed cept playing Guitar ..... I also use my left hand when by myself :loco: hahahahaha to much information?

JonnyD said:
Thats funny because I am Left handed and do everything Left handed cept playing Guitar ..... I also use my left hand when by myself hahahahaha to much information?

My hands are all mixed up, I write left handed, I play guitar right handed, I lead with my right hand on drums, I throw things right handed, in any sport I bat left handed, I kick with my right foot, I use either hand for a knife and fork, I use sissors left handed.. Yeah.. I'm weird.. :D

JonnyD said:
Thats funny because I am Left handed and do everything Left handed cept playing Guitar ..... I also use my left hand when by myself :loco: hahahahaha to much information?
No why you ask? ;)

I remember in the 60s young children were punished by nuns at my school when using their left hand to eat or pick things up with. They had to become right handed because the left hand was the hand of the devil! Really, I am not making this up.

How sick is that?

Hawk said:
I remember in the 60s young children were punished by nuns at my school when using their left hand to eat or pick things up with. They had to become right handed because the left hand was the hand of the devil! Really, I am not making this up.

How sick is that?

Shit.. That's just taking your religion way too far. I have nothing against anyone that follows a religion, they just shouldn't force it upon other people. Especially young children who can't defend themselves.

It depends on which way you make the sign that determines what it means in Italian culture...pointed at someone I believe is the "evil eye" and pointed up is supposed to ward off evil. Ronnie James Dio was the first to do it onstage on a regular basis...but Gene Simmons is making that gesture on one of their album covers. In my opinion, Dio has more metal in his little pinky than all of KISS put together...and Ronnie has done a hell of a lot more for metal in general as well...Gene Simmons likes to claim KISS invented everything anyway...they're an important band in the evolution of things, but I never really cared for them much, and their whole thing is more about image and big overblown shows anyway, by their own admission about 100 times.

That's my 2 cents...

Igor_Cavalera said:
Shit.. That's just taking your religion way too far. I have nothing against anyone that follows a religion, they just shouldn't force it upon other people. Especially young children who can't defend themselves.

DISCLAIMER!! This is off topic!!

---------------------------

Then how about forcing medication on young children?
See here:

http://capwiz.com/liberty/issues/alert/?alertid=6333001&type=CO

I think this is very disturbing :yuk: