Legendary Heavy Metal Vocalist RONNIE JAMES DIO Dies - May 16, 2010

I'm heading to San Francisco tomorrow (Y&T on Sat) and back on Monday So, there's no way I can afford to return to California so soon. Especially, after getting back from New York last week.

If a tribute show is scheduled later this year, I'll do my best to attend. Otherwise, Ronnie's music is keeping things going. Be it The Butterfly Ball, Ronnie Dio and The Prophets, Elf, Master of the Moon, Magica, H&H, Rainbow etc. So many classics.

Public memorial service Sun. May 30th at Forest Lawn. Los Angeles, CA 2pm

From Savatage's Jon Oliva (courtesy of Kong, his drummer who is a member of this board).

" Two days has passed and I still cannot come to grips with the
tragic passing of Ronnie James Dio. My heart is sad once again.
I have always considered Ronnie as a God, a hero, a pioneer,
a legend, and one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Ronnie gave Savatage their first break when he took us on
tour so many years ago. We were so young and did so many
stupid things on that tour. But Ronnie let it all go, and took care
of us. The world has lost more than an icon...we lost so much
more than that this past Sunday. I can't properly express my
sadness. Thank you Ronnie and for all you have given us as
a musician, but most of all for your sweet and caring soul.
You will be missed, and we will celebrate your life forever."

Jon Oliva

aqnimal

I do not see any point in your post. In fact I find it offensive and in my humble opinion it is an off topic post.

This tread is meant to commemorate the life and memory of Dio. Not to stir up anger against any church in particular or organized religion in general.

Sure, its insulting towards Dio and his fans but I hope that our regulars are wise enough to see that the people who wrote those word can have no influence on the memory of Dio.

I am sure if you delve long enough on the Internet you can find a lot more of these stupid posts.

As a mod I am willing to wait and see what our regulars think of the above post. If they consider it off topic and think it serves no purpose it will be deleted.

I would rather delete it, it's just a stupid reaction from an irrelevant organisation. If it would be straight from the pope it would be different, but this is so unimportant it's not worth getting published...

I'm not as pacient as Hawk. Please all let's keep on the thread subject. A great one has passed away, let's pay our due respects in a clean way.

From the Accept camp and their official website:

"RONNIE JAMES DIO - R.I.P.

It is with great sadness that we join with the rest of the Metal world in mourning the passing of friend Ronnie James Dio. He was a true gentleman, a voice of metal, and a good friend. We toured with him and adored him. He was one of the finest human beings, always a kind word, always thoughtful to all of those around him. He humbled us with his presence and he will be the brightest star in rock'n 'roll heaven!

Ronnie, you will be missed."

Bryant

Its still so sad and also really made me feel my age, Dio's voice has been in my life since '75, I was 17. I mean when you hear a song and you know Dio's about to start singing you automatically say "Dio :headbang:". When you hear a bar gig band cover a Dio tune you stand there arms folded like judge and jury waiting to see if an appropriate version of Dio is going to be performed by the vocalist. If the dude pulls it off, next time you talk to your buddies you say "went to see ____ Sat night, vocalist is pretty good... slammed some Dio" Somehow that has always been a measure of comparision with me and unknown vocalists. No hes not the only one, I'll get pretty ripped if I hear someone pull off a good early Plant but when a Zep song comes on I dont think to myself "Plant :headbang:" Its just Zep :headbang:. I took to Russell Allen of Symphony X right away and went out to tell my buddies "you got to hear this band and the vocalist... hes got alot of Dio in him :headbang:"

Then I mean come on... could he have picked a better stage name ? But the name is only the iceing on the voice, the lyrics.

Further, I cant believe he was 67, way older than me and I can not think of another vocalist well into their 60's that could still deliver their package... especially those that sang aggressively, yet many songs during his career showed he also had the smooth voice of an "angel"

Thats the deal with Dio... :headbang:

Edit: sorry for all the bobbin headbanging rockers, its looks funny now that I posted it, but I had a point I could finally make, I hurt pretty bad.

Here's my two hour Dio tribute show from last night (listen here):

Dio Rainbow in the Dark (Live)
Ronnie Dio and the Prophets The Ooh-Poo-Pah-Doo
Ronnie Dio and the Prophets Love Pains
Elf Nevermore
Elf Gambler Gambler
Rainbow Tarot Woman
Rainbow Catch the Rainbow
Rainbow Long Live Rock n Roll (Live)
Black Sabbath Neon Knights (Live)
Black Sabbath Sign of the Southern Cross
Black Sabbath I
Dio Don't Talk to Strangers
Dio One Night in the City
Dio Sacred Heart
Dio Dream Evil
Dio Hey Angel
Dio Push
Hear n' Aid Stars
Queensryche The Chase
Heaven and Hell Follow the Tears
Heaven and Hell Heaven and Hell (Live)

Here's my two hour Dio tribute show from last night (listen here):

Dio Rainbow in the Dark (Live)
Ronnie Dio and the Prophets The Ooh-Poo-Pah-Doo
Ronnie Dio and the Prophets Love Pains
Elf Nevermore
Elf Gambler Gambler
Rainbow Tarot Woman
Rainbow Catch the Rainbow
Rainbow Long Live Rock n Roll (Live)
Black Sabbath Neon Knights (Live)
Black Sabbath Sign of the Southern Cross
Black Sabbath I
Dio Don't Talk to Strangers
Dio One Night in the City
Dio Sacred Heart
Dio Dream Evil
Dio Hey Angel
Dio Push
Hear n' Aid Stars
Queensryche The Chase
Heaven and Hell Follow the Tears
Heaven and Hell Heaven and Hell (Live)

NICE !

I finally checked out ELF the other night they were actually a damn good blues and blues rock band, delved into all kinds of blues

Not downing Hughes at all but that vid exemplifies just how great Dios voice was, rich thick and full

Last edited by a moderator: