Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing...Most Important Album of the 80s

Barry Sanders borrowed a lot from Walter Payton, who was also deemed "too small," used finesse in his athletic gestures to out-manuever otherwise sure-thing tackles, etc.

Dodens Grav said:
Barry Sanders borrowed a lot from Walter Payton, who was also deemed "too small," used finesse in his athletic gestures to out-manuever otherwise sure-thing tackles, etc.

The knock on Payton wasn't his size (which was considerable, for the era), but the size of his school. The level of competition he had faced was questioned, along with his lack of straight line speed.

I think the point was that he compensated for his shortcomings by bringing in something new to the table...whatever, this analogy is pointless to begin with. I'm not terribly familiar with Punk at all. I've only heard three songs from the album, and the influence on early Bathory is completely obvious.

Krigloch the Furry-ass said:
except barry played on a shitty team, with no QB.
Yeah, the Bears are famous for all their awesome QBs.:Smug: The Bears sucked for the first half of Payton's career anway

Payton was quite possibly the best all-around football player ever.

Dodens Grav said:
I think the point was that he compensated for his shortcomings by bringing in something new to the table...whatever, this analogy is pointless to begin with. I'm not terribly familiar with Punk at all. I've only heard three songs from the album, and the influence on early Bathory is completely obvious.

The title of the thread is "...the most important album of the 80s". You CAN NOT be serious in agreeing with that particular proclamation, surely? :mad:

It depends on what you're answering there. :| They're the same person.

Considering Discharge had a prominent influence on all extreme metal and other worthless musical genres, I can't help but agree. Kill 'Em All, Show No Mercy, Bathory, Seven Churches, and countless others may never happened, at least not in the same way, were it not for Discharge, even though I'm not particularly impressed by their output.

i didnt think my question was all that complicated, but dg has cleared it up ...

is there any particular reason you choose to run two different accounts then? its kinda weird though. when you use pe, you refer to things in a more positive manner. when you use that "laeth" account generally it is ragging on "overrated" bands/albums etc.

ocd? split personality? huh?

It didn't even dawn on me that he has two active accounts...oh well, I don't particularly care either way.

As a matter of fact, if you're talking about the most influential album on the progression of thrash metal (and ergo the development of 80s extreme metal), I think you'll find that "The Ace Of Spades" was much more relevant than Discharge.

Not only does it predate "hear nothing" by two years, but the sound of Kill 'Em All andthe guitar style utilised by Hetfield, Mustaine and other luminaries in the field, in the earliest albums, owes a debt to Clarke and co. much more than the mono-riffed shouty stylings of Discharge.

Dodens Grav said:
There's more to extreme metal than thrash...

...and the portion of the speed/thrash movement that actually left descendents (in the form of death and black metal) was heavily influenced by Dishcharge. Megadeth and Metallica were evolutionary dead ends.

To me, the album isn't the most important album of the 80's, but it's definitely up there. So, so influential, and I'm pretty sure Falco does state that Discharge obviously didn't think they were doing something revolutionary.:rolleyes: